main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] The auto-censor

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark Lady Mara, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I still don't see an overriding need for this. Six years and counting have gone by without the need for a auto-censor/filter. Really, this may promote more profanity and bucking the system.

Unfortunately, we have no say in whether it is implemented. That decision came from IGN. We just have to make the best of it.

Kimball Kinnison

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "I still don't see an overriding need for this."

Neither do I or a whole bunch of other people, both mod and non-mods alike.
    And, as has been said a few times, we didn't ask for it (ever? You should know, you were reading ModSquad before I knew of it ;)).
    And we weren't asked if we wanted it, either.
    You gotta ask whoever has the say at IGN.

Some JCers may find it useful (if it works) once it's there, but we didn't need it.

oh, and.... isn't the f-word a harmless Swedish word? those FanForces might look funny in the future ;)

3. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    will posts revert to their intended state after this glitch is fixed? or will all those poor souls working on huge posts in the Senate have to start over?

OMG!!!!!

The joy that would bring me....to see all of them useless posts completely starred out.

What a lesson that would teach them.

so is cockpit really a bad word???

Fanfic is going to get a tad bit interesting.

--------

Ok...does thefilter work for just actually posted stuff or preview stuff too?

I was testing something...and it did not seem to work.

4. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    as of now it doesn't work at all, I think.
    zerosleep took it down umm yesterday or something... and what he posted/ did today didn't turn it back on, as far as I understood

but then again, I may have been confused by all the swear words he posted ;)

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Well, i think it might be a lot easier for the mods and users alike set this to filter out some of the other words the mods have been kind of soft about as of late. Heck, i've seen a few mods edit out 'ass' and 'damn' lately. It'd be easier if you set a filter against this in the first place, no?

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Unfortunately, we have no say in whether it is implemented. That decision came from IGN. We just have to make the best of it.

Don't know if anyone has actually suggested this or not, but if the censor turns out to be more problems than it's worth, could you just ask for pretty much everything (except for those handful of major profanities) to be removed from the list, thus essentially turning it off?

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Don't know if anyone has actually suggested this or not, but if the censor turns out to be more problems than it's worth, could you just ask for pretty much everything (except for those handful of major profanities) to be removed from the list, thus essentially turning it off?

Actually, about 5 hours after I posted my previous comment, zerosleep posted in MS saying that we don't have to have it and he could turn it off for us. We can also customize the rules (for example, he's already corrected it to allow words like cockpit).

No decision has been made either way, but it is under discussion.

Kimball Kinnison

8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I say four asterisks the profanity filter.

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    What I am personally in favor of is enacting the filter, but in a limited fashion. For example, it can be tailored so that cockpit is not filtered, but **** is. There are few words that have no place on these boards at all, and the profanity filter would help that.

Some of those words would include:

**** <-- "****"
    **** <-- "****"
    and
    *** <--- "t**" ;)

Of course, moderators and above are immune to the filter, so we could throw that last one around all we want. :p

Kimball Kinnison

10. Darth_Michael

Darth_Michael Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2002
    I must honestly say, that to me the fear of profantity shown here starts to take on almost as great proportains as the fear of nudity. But at least the panicked reactions are always good for a laugh.

*Shakes head in ridicule*

11. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    zerosleep posted in MS saying that we don't have to have it and he could turn it off for us.

Heh...so messed up and troublesome even Zerosleep couldn't do anything reasonable with it, eh? ;)

Considering that it's now a choice as to whether or not it's used here, considering Zerosleep's offer, it'll be interesting to see what actually happens... [face_mischief]

12. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    To be honest I dont see anything wrong with profanities.

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    There is nothing wrong with them. They're just not allowed.
    There is nothing wrong with a naked woman (or two, or three), either, but it's not allowed to post pictures of them - sadly ;)

(Yes, I know, I could have picked a better comparison, sue me. It sounds nice. Besides, when do you get to post about naked women in Comms? ;))

14. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Why not include a censor that only moderates the F-bomb, and then leave it up to the mods to catch the rest. If it's going to be so much of a problem, put in the least censor you can and rely - as the site has for six years - on the hard work of the Administration to find and erase profanity.

I don't want something like "cockpit" censored just because it contains a male chicken.

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't see why its even needed at all, I mean there will always be a way around it. The site has opereated just fine without one, so why get one now? Oh and umm IIRC manually *ing out the "F" word was permissible, so why make it bannable now, if its auto-censored?

**Please note, that I skimmped this topic and as such, my post could be quite wrong due to ignorance and laziness**

16. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Oh and umm IIRC manually *ing out the "F" word was permissible, so why make it bannable now, if its auto-censored?

It's not banable. we can't tell if you put **** or the actual fword when typing your post. what IS banable, or, i should say, is more strongly banable, is circumventing the word censor. Because it shows you went out of your way to post one of those words.

17. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    oh, and.... isn't the f-word a harmless Swedish word? those FanForces might look funny in the future

No, it's not... it doesn't mean anything in Swedish. But we DO have a famous film called ******* Åmål (Åmål is a small town.) The F-word is not considered very offensive here, at least not as offensive as in English-speaking countries.

Don't think any common Swedish words get starred out with this system. Other languages might not be so lucky though...

18. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    ah, yes, it was a film title! Thank you.
    It's supposed to be the English swear word?

Man, I gotta start a "swearing in different cultures" thread sometime... This is interesting ;)

19. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Yep, it's supposed to be the english word. It's rather commonly used here, thanks to all american films shown here and stuff like that... many english swearwords have found their way into daily swedish swearing, and usually they're much milder in Sweden. Can't write them here though. :p

20. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, well, it's very simliar in Germany. The direct translations of all those bad words are horrible - but as soon as they're in English, they seem as worse as "poopy pants" or something :p

However, I think we're starting to derail this thread, and I gotta go anyway, so, let's get back on topic.

I think in a way we're still in talks with zerosleep :)

21. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Well, it looks like zerosleep fixed the auto-censor. I was playing around with it in the preview window, and it looks like everything's working fine. Bad words are **'ed out, but words that include curses, like cocky, are not starred out. Good work and thank you, zerosleep :)

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    From what I understand the censor can be turned off, but the tf.n owners really like it, so.... chances are it will remain on.

23. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    We could make internet history here by filtering out "definately." A better day would dawn for us all.

24. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    That and 'Anikan'. :rolleyes:

... along with 'Vadar', 'Sideous', and 'Dukoo'.

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Vador. I hate that one. :mad:

Testing:
    cockatiel
    ****take
    Cos Da**** :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.