main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Temple of Doom was too violent. How are the other IJ films?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by george_starwars, Dec 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I've been watching these movies since I was two years old, and you're telling me they're violent!?

I can't find one ounce of gore or violence in these movies that are anything worse than what you would find in a David Cronenberg or Paul Verhoven film. Don't pick on Indiana Jones when it comes to this. Watch films by those guys that I just mentioned if you're really squeemish and state what you think of them.

[face_devil] :p

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > I can't find one ounce of gore or violence in these movies that are anything worse than what you would find in a David Cronenberg or Paul Verhoven film. Don't pick on Indiana Jones when it comes to this. Watch films by those guys that I just mentioned if you're really squeemish and state what you think of them.

The fact that other films by other directors are more gory / violent than the Indiana Jones movies bears little to no relevance on Temple of Doom being too violent for george_starwars.

3. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    Huh? There's barely or even no gore at all in the Indiana Jones films. It's not even real anyway.

I really don't see the problem.

?[face_plain]

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I was forced to watch Temple of Doom at 9 years old. It gave me nightmares but I lived. Get over it. :p

5. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    It's all fun violence, like when the one bullet goes through the 3 nazi's.

6. darkOmegazer0

Aug 18, 2002
    george_starwars have you seen the others yet?

7. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    I have seen "Raiders" now. I liked it! [face_ver_good] Dead people though...blehk!! THAT part I didn't like. The Mummys.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    The Temple of Doom was the best of them all!

Hears my list

The Temple of Doom
    The last cursade
    Raiders of the lost arcs

9. darkOmegazer0

Aug 18, 2002
    MY list is Raiders, Last Crusade, and far far far far far far far back is Temple of Doom.

10. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Huh? There's barely or even no gore at all in the Indiana Jones films. It's not even real anyway.

What the...??? A guy gets his still-beating heart ripped out of his chest, peoples faces melt and explode, a man rapidly and graphically ages to skeletal form, and you say there's little to no gore???? Are we even watching the same movies here? And so what if it's not real, it is still fairly graphic, and some people simply can't or don't want to handle that.

11. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well yes, it's a bit graphic but not extremely. What are humans devolving now that they are loosing their spines ;-). Well the important part is people tying stuff, I hate when people criticize somethnig or discount a whole genre without even seeing it.

Anyone who survived the 70s and especially the 80s could probably atest how tame movies are today and the Indiana Jones was tame compared to stuff from that era. What about all the slasher films, B scifi movies, and cheap action movies (especially from Golan-Globus). What about real good films like The Godfather, Platoon, Chinatown and others.

Darn political correcters (is that a word ;-), we must not let them win!!!

12. Counterbug

Counterbug Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003

You people are sheltered nauseating piles of conservatism. Like someone said earlier, I've been watching Indy films since about 5 years old, and I find them to be a fine piece of Americana cinema. The perfect ingrediants for a grand old action thriller, with chills thrills and a bit of grossness to make it fun. If these "FAMILY" films make you squeamish, than I highly suggest you never ever turn on the news. The mere mention of murder or rape might make your head self-implode. Basically, people, just grow up-- there's a lot worse things out there than an Indiana Jones movie.

13. jamesdrax

Aug 30, 2000
    "What the...??? A guy gets his still-beating heart ripped out of his chest, peoples faces melt and explode, a man rapidly and graphically ages to skeletal form, and you say there's little to no gore???? Are we even watching the same movies here? And so what if it's not real, it is still fairly graphic, and some people simply can't or don't want to handle that."

Hey, I've seen real gore in hospitals, buddy. Indy movies are child's play.

14. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Monty Python is much more gory than Indy... 8-}

Seriously, though, LC is the least gory, and it's my favorite, probably because of Sean Connery.

15. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Raiders started to get a bit weird with the tearing out people's hearts ceremonies, but I don't think they're really that voilent.

May Favorites
    1.) The Temple of Doom
    2.) The Last Cursade
    I can't count that high!) Raiders of the Lost Arcs

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Raiders started to get a bit weird with the tearing out people's hearts ceremonies

That was Temple, not Raiders.

17. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Sep 9, 2002
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. No need for name-calling here 8-}. Calm down now. Good. All I am saying is that some people don't like being entertained or have to watch gore and violence unless they have to (example: in the hospital). They do not wish to see that kind of stuff in their entertainment. Is there a time and a place for gore, et cetera? Sure. War, hospitals, accidents, that kind of thing. But they don't want to have to deal with that in their movies. Now let's just ease up everybody.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Temple of Doom wasn;t gory at all

19. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I like The Last Cursade :) I haven't seen all of Raiders but what I saw I liked :) and I've only seen parts of Temple of Doom ...was it really Violent?

20. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Sep 9, 2002
    There were actually only a few scenes. One being the infamous heart-ripping ceremony scene, another the scene where a man is crushed, and yet another a scene with a gruesome feast.

21. Master-Kenobi

Sep 20, 2002
    I was thinking about see Temple of Doom...who thinks I should?

22. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    MY list is Raiders, Last Crusade, and far far far far far far far back is Temple of Doom.

Ditto !

23. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Sep 9, 2002
    Probably just go ahead. If you're pretty squeemish, just fastforward the heart scene and you're safe.

24. Master-Kenobi

Sep 20, 2002
    Well I like Raiders and Last Cursade they didn't bother me. so I don't see why I wouldn't like Temple of Doom....right? :)

25. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Sep 9, 2002
    Probably. I haven't seen it, though I came close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.