main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Tennant Wants In!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The-Eternal-Hero, Nov 18, 2012.

1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I could buy into him. He was nearly unrecognizable in Fright Night. He probably has pretty good range.

[​IMG]

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean let's be honest, absolutely everyone wants in. But Tennant would actually be great for it. Besides, he's already got Doctor Who and Harry Potter. He should be in every nerdy thing :p

3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Yeah, gotta say Tenant is far and away my favorite of the recent doctors. Matt Smith is good, but so was Eccleston. They're good. Tenant was fan-freaking-tastic.

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I would love to see Tennant in Star Wars.

5. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    It's also good to note that when Tennant did Clone Wars, it was noted that George Lucas was impressed by his performance. That's a point in his favor.

He can do dramatic, comedic, action/heroic, villainous, maniacal, romantic, tragic, he's done quite a bit of voice-over and audio work, he can memorize and speak technical jargon very fast, he's theatrically-trained (does a lot of Shakespeare), he's great at doing the 1,000-mile death glare, he runs down corridors very fast, he's just about the skinniest guy they could ever hope to find if they want to stick him in an alien costume... There are all sorts of parts they could fit him into.

Surprised no-one here has mentioned the most obvious Ten link to Star Wars... There's a rather large homage to Star Wars' habit of cutting off everyone's hand right in Tennant's first full episode (The Christmas Invasion). The severed hand along with the sword also falls a great distance (though later recovered by Cpt. Jack and a new one having grown in its place in that case) à la Bespin.

Star Wars actually did impact Doctor Who a fair bit right as hit theaters. The Tom Baker era started playing with spaceships that go right over the top of the camera. Though it also stands out that R2-D2 is highly resemblant of a Dalek (those were introduced in 1963, so they're the predecessor in that case). 2001: A Space Odyssey actually had Stanley Kubrick asking the Doctor Who special effects people how they achieved the weightlessness effect of Katarina going out of the airlock vent and her dead body floating in space (The Daleks' Master Plan in 1965--there's a little homage to this in The Impossible Planet in Tennant's era)--and before Star Wars, that was one of the more influential sci-fi films then in recent memory. And of course, Star Wars also highly influenced the look of Star Trek: the Motion Picture two years later, despite Trek predating Wars. And of course, I've mentioned the fact that half the OT Imperial fleet and British bit parts were prominent guest stars on DW.

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He was brilliant on TCW. I wouldn't even mind if he reprised the same role in a cameo:

7. NileQT87

Nov 21, 2002
    You know, it just dawned on me that Tennant was wearing a Stormtrooper t-shirt to San Diego Comic-Con back in 2009! Yep, definitely a fan.

[​IMG]

“When I heard the Doctor himself, David Tennant, was a fan of Star Wars I knew I had to find a way to get in contact with him to see if he would perform on The Clone Wars. The result was Huyang, an ancient droid in the service of the Jedi Order, whose sole task in life has been overseeing the construction of lightsabers. I thought David was perfect for the part and he did not disappoint. He delivered a performance which impressed even the Master himself, George Lucas.” -- David Feloni (Clone Wars)

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Love "Huyang", possibly a nod to "Dr. Who" and "yin yang" one of the underlying principals of the Jedi. Yang is the "light side" of the Taijitu.

9. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I just realized, he's the British Johnny Depp

The 10th Doctor was brilliant. I love all the doctors so far. David is a decent actor , if any one doesn't think he has a range of emotions then they haven't seen the entire series of 10...

10. Ulysses_Laertiades

Ulysses_Laertiades Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2012
    I like the idea of Tennant in EpVII a lot. He could play a digitized alien or droid a la Bill Nighy's Davy Jones, or a smuggler character with more fun and deception than Solo and less action.

11. NileQT87

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, I suspect the name "Huyang" is Who + Yang (Ying and Yang). It's got to be an in-joke.

There's actually a Doctor Who audio called Sympathy for the Devil that Tennant was in back before he played the Doctor (he was basically playing the Brigadier's prickish replacement) where there was a joke about the Chinese calling the Doctor "Hu", which means "tiger". There are a lot of "Doctor, Doctor who?" jokes going back to the first episode and Troughton used the alias "Doktor von Wer" in The Highlanders. "Doctor who?" "That's what I just said."

Not sure if Feloni is quite that big of a DW geek, but the Hu/Who joke isn't new.

And, as that tidbit notes, he's been doing voice acting for cartoons, audio books and audio dramas for quite a long time (well before he played the Doctor--his career goes back to 1987 doing a Scottish anti-smoking PSA, so he's been acting for a while!--and let's not forget his very early role as Davina, the transgender), so even a voice part as an alien would be right in line with his talents. Though there would certainly be lots of attention if he had a face part, no matter how minor (see Barty Crouch, Jr. with all of that tongue-flicking)! I mean, The Hobbit has got Sylvester McCoy as a dwarf (cast for his speech impediment of over-rolling his Rs, naturally), so it would be fun for Star Wars to pick up another one of the Doctors.

::snicker::

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    McCoy is not playing a dwarf, he's playing one of the Istari.

13. NileQT87

Nov 21, 2002
    He's playing Radagast the Brown (Rrrrradagast the Brrrrrown, as he's likely to say it). Ah, it's been a very long while since I've read The Hobbit (about a decade ago). The Istari are wizards. Totally didn't remember what kind of character Radagast was (it's hard to think of Sylv ever playing a tall character!). Peter Jackson actually owns Sylvester's 7th Doctor costume and Weta recently made Paul McGann a new costume (do not like the blue leather Eccleston jacket and man-bag) and sonic screwdriver.

But yeah, another Doctor who has managed to get into another big movie franchise (along with David's brief villainous bits in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire).

Ooh, another thing about the Huyang name is that the Yang of Yin and Yang is the light side. So, Light Side / lightsaber + the Hu in-joke.