main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

That infamous scream.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Remember that? The one that pops up everywhere? Well,in Indy 3, a member of cruciform sword(is that right?) falls off a ledge after getting shot, and screams the same scream as the Imperial officer Han tossed a thermal detonator into. Any other of these screams?

2. darth_timo

darth_timo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    It´s in many of the Movies whose sound was edited by Ben Burtt, but also Batman and The Fifth Element!

3. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Hanger battle against battle droids in TPM. The queen's troops, the guy in yellow/gold does it. Pretty sure I remember one in ROTJ too.

4. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    During the truck chase in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK when a Nazi falls off the back of the truck and crashes into the windshield of the jeep following it. He also makes that particular scream.

5. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2001
    yeah, Dubya Fett once told me that it was called "The Wilhelm Yell", and it indeed has been in a lot of movies.

RAINSTORM: Sorry, I don't know the origins of the Wilhelm Yell, other than that it has been in almost every Lucasfilm movie, to the point of being a running gag. I've heard some say that the Wilhelm Yell was around even before its use by Lucasfilm. I'm sure there's someone out there who has a more authoritative knowledge on the popular stock sound effect. -Dubya Fett

and this from Sturm Antilles:

I'm pretty sure that Ben Burtt said in a late 90's interview that it's been in hundreds of movies, and the one example he gave was some old guy being shot by an arrow in an old 50's Western. I think that was the original source.

hope that helps. :)

6. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    In an old B&W western called The Charge at Feather River, a cowboy named Wilhelm gets pegged in the leg by an arrow and lets out the infamous scream. Ben Burtt made it a ritual to put it in every single film he did the SFX for, but it became such a famous sound effect that people other than Burtt started putting it in the films. It seems like half the movies made in the 80's had that famous little yelp in them. I actually havent heard it used in a long while, TPM is the last one in recent memory.

TFN ran a story about it a while back, including a Quicktime clip of some (but not all) of the uses of the wilhelm scream in films.

here it is:The Wilhelm Scream

edit: BTW, the scream where Han throws the detonator at the guy is not the Wilhelm scream, just another girlish scream. The wilhelm in ROTJ comes when the Weequay falls into the Sarlac.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    this is a bit off topic but, the scream is also in the Planet of the Apes remake during the final battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.