main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The All-New, All-Different JCC Astronomy Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Can't find an open one via the google search & I really wanna share this clip of the NZ night time sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7XWtWJPDE

Edit: and this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvq4A7v1hc

The original thread does not exist in our archives.

2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Oh my Gawd...it's a double galaxy!!!!!!!

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Words don't begin to describe how unfair that is.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    If you can't find it, I tend to think it doesn't exist. :p

But very cool videos!

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I didn't look as hard as I usually do. ;)

I figure a mod will let me know if there's an open Astronomy thread more suited to this sort of thing, and I'll repost there and have this locked.

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    The best thing I ever saw through a telescope was the Shoemaker-Levy event on Jupiter. We tracked the whole thing from seeing Jupiter before the impact, to seeing the scars a few hours later thanks to Jupiter's fast rotation.

7. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    The other night my friends and I went to a viewing session with the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. It was incredible. They had a whole variety of telescopes set up, and we got to see Saturn's rings, and you could see Titan as this little red dat off to the left. It was just mind-blowing. We also got to see the Space Station go by. (Then we had to leave because all my friends showed up in shorts, because apparently, mosquitoes don't come out after dark. wth?)

I'm going camping waaay out in the middle of nowhere for the next few nights, so I expect I'll get to see lots of cool stuff.

:D

8. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Those are amazing. I read once that Aboriginal tribes in the Oceania area were the only ones in the world that had negative constellations. The Milky Way was so bright that they named constellations out of the dark spots within it.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    My telescope (plus my Dad!):

[image=http://www.bluealert.co.uk/images/photos/celestron.jpg]

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember seeing Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997, in my yard without a telescope. It was like a fuzzy white ball in space.

I've seen the planet Mars on occasion, too. Just a little red dot in the sky, but what wonders it promises....

dolphin likes this.
  11. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I like to gaze at the big bluish black thing.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It promises wonders?

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    my god it's full of stars.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Seriously? That's incredible. I sometimes wonder what it'd be like to have lived in a time period without all this light pollution.

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
  16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That would be awesome. I have to drive outside the city to see anything.

Oooh nice, Everton! The telescope too. :p

17. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, I've always wanted to see the sky without any light pollution at all. I had a chance in Australia a few years ago in the middle of the Outback, but it was too cold :p. Even outside the city in central Texas you can see the light pollution from big cities on the horizon. We used to climb up to the top of Enchanted Rock at night and you could see exactly where Austin, San Marcos, and San Antonio are.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have been in the middle of the Pacific, on many a cloudless night, and looked up. I have no words for how beautiful the night sky is at that time.

19. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I suddenly noticed a sea of stars had popped into existence somewhere between Junction and El Paso. Pulled over and looked up and felt disoriented. It's like you're in the sky with them. My friend wouldn't even get out of the car. "I saw this **** all the time in the Navy."

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10663330

Not that there's much chance of seeing it this far north, but this part of the country is under a massive fog cloud anyway.

Sam, what's the weather like in Christchurch? My kids are down there at the moment, I'm hoping they may see it tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrCWd8yT2OA

22. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    My brother and I have been doing a lot of astronomy since my parents bought a house up in the mountains (great skies up there). My brother bought this telescope used, and we were unable to find anything with it besides the great nebula in orion. However, with months of practice we were able to see Saturn's rings and moons, though still unable to locate anything else, even with the aid of Stellarium.

Finally, a couple of weeks ago my brother bought a red dot reflex sight for the telescope, and with the aid of Stellarium, a compass, a Motorola Droid taped to the telescope to tell us its inclination, the red dot sight, and the fact that more objects are up during these summer months we've been finding all sorts of stuff.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Have you managed to take any photos through it?

Also, the Aurora Borealis is possible/likely to make an appearance tonight for those of you towards the north of the Northern Hemisphere.

24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    No chance. It's been dull and overcast all day. :( Funny, I've seen the borealis before, but never the australis.

25. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    We got some blurry pics of Andromeda, its hard to get it to focus with the camera attachment.