main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Anti-Draft: Where Fast Is Slow and Slow is Fast [Currently: Shurron wins]

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Okay, couple things.

First off, I gotta weigh in on the whole trump-partners-will-kill-eachother-during-their-prep thing that's been going on. I guess... okay, this really should've been clarified from the start (and come to think of it, has it ever been officially specified in any draft, ever?), but with every draft I've ever participated in, be it as a GM, judge or commish, I have never considered that teammates could attack and kill eachother during preptime (whether it's trump prep or team battles). Once the battle starts, it's anything goes, but the key thing is, if you draft a team of 8, 10, 12 or whatever amount of characters, then you damn well get that many for a team battle, no matter how incohesive they are. You trump two or three characters together, then two or three character fight in that battle for your team. Otherwise, we're basically judging a battle within a battle when it comes to really incohesive trumps and teams, and maybe it's just me, but that just seems to be fundamentally wrong.

When I judge poor cohesion (whether it's mild or severe), then I look at it from the standpoint of the team or trump bickering with eachother during the prep. That or just ignoring eachother. Whatever the case, doing that rather than strategizing and pooling resources or what have you can kill a team's chances against a cohesive unit plenty good enough. The whole teammates killing teammates thing seems extremely excessive. And again, you draft eight characters, you get eight characters.

Anyways, whatever is decided on is decided on. My trump is just as crappy in the cohesion department as Mikey and Claire, and if we're doing the killing thing, then hey, locked together for 24 hours with nothing better to do, then Jinnai will almost certainly end up killing Makoto somewhere during that timeframe. And then lol @ Jinnai having any sort of shot against Michael.

Because yeah, the second thing I need to get into is that El Hazard is not a futuristic world brimming with all sorts of deadly future technology that my trump could use. Yes, at one point, it was. But that was long before Makoto and Jinnai ever entered that world. But that ancient civilization was wiped out by it's own advanced technology, such as the Eye of God, Kalia and Ifurita, the former of which is like a mini Death Star that can't be used without unsealing it first (which neither Makoto or Jinnai can do), and the latter two being completely separate draftable characters. My trump doesn't get the use of seperate draftable characters as part of their prep, do they?

In terms of anything else simpler, like some sort of ancient handheld ray gun they may have discovered and used at some point in the series... nope, no such luck. That wasn't the focus of the series, and therefore, nothing like that was ever shown that would allow my trump an easy win, assuming they'd even have access to it if it existed.

It's basically a swords and sorcery type of world, where most of it ended up being conquered by a race of primitive walking bugs once Jinnai brought a little intelligence and organization to their ranks. Does Jinnai get an army of bugrom with prep? If so, I'll concede this. :p And neither of my characters can actually use magic. Yes, they could arm themselves with swords, perhaps, but they're both completely inept fighters. They both displayed pretty much no skill in combat over the course of the series. One time Makoto did try to fight was after he saw his teacher gain super strength after entering El Hazard. He thought he might also have it, so he stopped running from the bugrom for a second, turned and threw a sad little punch at one, did absolutely nothing to him and then started running again.

There is a clip I found on Youtube where Jinnai and Makoto are having a sword fight (which was pretty lame overall, but they each display some skill), but turns out that's from the TV series which is an alternate universe from the original story, with slight changes to Makoto and Jinnai that actually made them a bit more competent. I did

2. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I don't see why it wouldn't be considered if it's a realistic possibility. I've always taken the 24 hour preparation time completely literally. Take RX's team in movies - if the members of other squads are assumed to work together during their prep time in team battles, obviously RX's team would have to be judged in a similar fashion. And there's no way in hell Lucian and Victor are going to be in any sort of collaborative effort without trying to kill one another first. I just consider that a complete given - to recognize that hatred during the actual battle but not during prep time doesn't really make much sense.

Of course, I don't automatically see a good guy and a bad guy on the same team and assume they'll go at it. If VC Dupont and Jack Bauer are prepared as a trump, I'm not going to assume they'll instantly kill each other. But at the same time, I still use a literal interpretation of prep time. In this case, Myers is a freak who does nothing but kill and Claire is a hot young blond who's just asking for an attack from a guy in a weird mask. Seems to me that, were these two given 24 hours together to prepare, there's no way in hell that **** wouldn't go down.

Oh, and I suppose Mikey/Claire win. And Durden wins a fight that I would absolutely pay to watch. lol

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You do have to star stuff out completely, though ;)

And I agree on both.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    IIRC, EF argued that his two would slaughter each other before? How dead would they be?

6. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I'm not familiar with that (or really any) incarnation of Link. Motor Ed would stand little chance against either of the goblins, no matter how beat up they were after their fight - particularly if he's unprepared. Unprepped link seems like he'd have quite a bit of trouble the opposition as well.

7. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, whichever goblin makes it to the fight (I'm still not at all a fan of this notion of a battle within a battle, but whatever), is still way too good to lose to my unprepared trump. Whichever one survives will still be prepped, and therefore should be way more than Link can handle without any prep (especially this one, who has never faced anything but utter crap in the way of opposition). And, yeah, Ed couldn't take either one in a million years.

Whatever fight the goblins have is not going to take the full 24 hours to resolve. Not even close. The survivor will have time to rest before the fight. But even supposing that they're battered beyond belief, it still just... it just doesn't matter. Because it's not going to take much of anything to win that fight.

BaSSiL mentioned last match that it'd likely be Macendale that would make it to the match. Okay. Some tidbits on his available weaponry, then.

Macendale utilized various concussion and incendiary grenades constructed in the form of miniature jack o'lanterns. Each of the incendiary grenades would ignite almost soundlessly releasing enough heat to melt through a three-inch thick sheet of steel.

One of those thrown at the beginning of the match could end it within a couple ticks of the clock.

He also carried a variety of smoke and gas-emitting bombs

My trump has no counter to gas.

The Hobgoblin's gloves were interwoven with micro-circuit powered conducting filaments capable of channeling pulsed discharges of 10,000 volts of high frequency electrical power from rechargeable power packs in both of his glove cuffs and costume tunic. They had the capacity to discharge for up to five minutes of sustained fire before depleting their power supply.

Those = dead Link and Ed. Because...

The Hobgoblin also wore a computerized firing mechanism which was triggered by pressing an area on his tunic which caused his arm to move about in an apparently random manner, rapidly firing electrical discharges from his glove. Kingsley designed this device to make it more difficult for Spider-Man to evade his blasts.

Yeah, if Spider-Man has any difficulty whatsoever in evading that weaponry, then the notion that either Link or Ed has much of any chance of evading the blasts is pretty durn laughable.

Oh, and Macendale's glider (flight in general would also be a massive advantage to either goblin) can reach speeds of up to 90mph. And if it's Demogoblin that wins, same thing. Only my trump is similarly outmatched against an opponent that uses magic, rather than technology. But the key is that they're outmatched. Whether the goblin's all beat up or not.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll give another day or two for contrary arguments, but yours is a good one and I, like Zizz, am leaning toward giving the victory to the goblin trump.

9. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Who am I kidding, all I could imagine Link having without prep is a sword, a shield, and perhaps some bombs. Trump wins.

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Agreed. Goblin trump takes it.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    BaSSiL's RRAAAARRL! (2) vs Shurron's Anal Leakage: The Team (0)

EF's Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job! (0) vs. Hammu's Team Nameless (2)

[b]#3[/b].

[b][hl=purple][color=lightpurple]Michael Myers (Halloween) TRUMPED w/ Claire Bennet (Heroes) (Movie/TV Draft) FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b][hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Mola Ram (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom)[/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=orange][color=white]Norman Bates (Psycho)[/color][/hl][/b] vs. [b][hl=brown][color=orange]Vito Corleone[/color][/hl][/b]

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Any thoughts?

13. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Um, sure. Norman is so psychotic that it's almost crippling. Vito is the head of an Italian mafia family. Did I miss something?

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You don't need to wait for arguments on a decision this obvious. Norman's a psycho with a knife. Vito's an ice cold don with a gun.

15. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    DVC FTW

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    BaSSiL's RRAAAARRL! (2) vs Shurron's Anal Leakage: The Team (1)

EF's Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job! (0) vs. Hammu's Team Nameless (3)

[b]#4[/b].

[b][hl=purple][color=lightpurple]Solid Snake TRUMPED w/ Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid) (Video Game Draft)[/color][/hl][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b][hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Little John (Adventures of Robin Hood) [/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=orange][color=white]Vicious trumped with Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)[/color][/hl][/b] vs. [b][hl=brown][color=orange]Tokka + Sylvanas + Arthas + Mike Tyson FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b]
    [/quote]

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm thinking the trump.

19. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    SS survives the prep and then puts a quick round into LJ's head when the match starts, ending it in no more than three seconds. Easy.

20. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    [image=http://www.pedestrian.tv/uploads/images/podcasts/471ff2b63604c/LIL-JON.GIF]

FTL

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I, too, am thinking the trump. Trump.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    BaSSiL's RRAAAARRL! (3) vs Shurron's Anal Leakage: The Team (1)

EF's Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job! (1) vs. Hammu's Team Nameless (3)

[b]#5[/b].

[b][hl=purple][color=lightpurple]Hobgoblin (Jason Macendale) TRUMPED w/ Demogoblin (Comic Book Draft) FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b][hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Rocky Balboa (Rocky series)[/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=orange][color=white]Vicious trumped with Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b] vs. [b][hl=brown][color=orange]Dexter (unprepped)[/color][/hl][/b]

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    The non-forfeits win, I think.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ha, I didn't even realize they were both forfeits 8-}

BaSSiL's RRAAAARRL! (3) vs Shurron's Anal Leakage: The Team (2)

EF's Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job! (1) vs. Hammu's Team Nameless (4)

[b]#6[/b].

[b][hl=purple][color=lightpurple]Dr. Bong (Comic Book Draft) (Unprepared)[/color][/hl][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b][hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Link (LoZ: Faces of Evil) TRUMPED with Motor Ed (Kim Possible) *unprepared* FORFEIT [/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=orange][color=white]Venom trumped with Carnage[/color][/hl][/b] vs. [b][hl=brown][color=orange]Tokka + Sylvanas + Arthas + Mike Tyson FORFEIT [/color][/hl][/b]

[hr]

[b]BaSSiL's [hl=purple][color=lightpurple]RRAAAARRL![/color][/hl] [color=red](4)[/color][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b]Shurron's [hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Anal Leakage: The Team[/color][/hl] [color=red](2)[/color] [/b]

[b]EF's [hl=orange][color=white]Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job![/color][/hl] [color=red](2)[/color][/b] vs. [b]Hammu's [hl=brown][color=orange]Team Nameless[/color][/hl] [color=red](4)[/color][/b]

[hr]

[b]#6[/b].

[b][hl=purple][color=lightpurple]R2-D2 (Star Wars) (Movie/TV Draft) (Unprepared)[/color][/hl][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b][hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Katsuhiko Jinnai TRUMPED with Makoto Mizuhara (El Hazard) FORFEIT [/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=orange][color=white]Venom trumped with Carnage FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b] vs. [b][hl=brown][color=orange]Ray Stantz [/color][/hl][/b]

[hr]

[b]BaSSiL's [hl=purple][color=lightpurple]RRAAAARRL![/color][/hl] [color=red](5)[/color][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b]Shurron's [hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Anal Leakage: The Team[/color][/hl] [color=red](2)[/color] [/b]

[b]EF's [hl=orange][color=white]Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job![/color][/hl] [color=red](2)[/color][/b] vs. [b]Hammu's [hl=brown][color=orange]Team Nameless[/color][/hl] [color=red](5)[/color][/b]

[hr]

[b]#8[/b].

[b][hl=purple][color=lightpurple]Liquid Snake TRUMPED w/ Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid) (Video Game Draft) FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b][hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Abobo (Double Dragon)[/color][/hl][/b]

[b][hl=orange][color=white]Agatha (Minority Report)[/color][/hl][/b] vs. [b][hl=brown][color=orange]Tokka + Sylvanas + Arthas + Mike Tyson FORFEIT[/color][/hl][/b]

[hr]

[b]BaSSiL's [hl=purple][color=lightpurple]RRAAAARRL![/color][/hl] [color=red](5)[/color][/b] [b]vs[/b] [b]Shurron's [hl=deepskyblue][color=white]Anal Leakage: The Team[/color][/hl] [color=red](3)[/color] [/b]

[b]EF's [hl=orange][color=white]Tim and Eric Awesome Team Great Job![/color][/hl] [color=red](3)[/color][/b] vs. [b]Hammu's [hl=brown][color=orange]Team Nameless[/color][/hl] [color=red](5)[/color][/b]

Well, that was easy (and kinda boring - now I get why commishes mix up the number order a bit). EF and Shurron, send me your numbers by sometime on Monday.

25. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    +1 for a one trump limit the next time we do one of these things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.