main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That would make sense. It's just annoying to lose power with almost every storm that rolls through the area. It's become the norm, rather than the exception.

LOL! Got that right! PennDOT's the devil!

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Sandy is only beating on my door, but my connection keeps crapping out. Stupid wireless...

I'm hoping I don't lose power, but with how it floods around here, then I doubt that even the underground lines are safe. That and some tree will fall on the lines down the road and knock out power anyway.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm wishing the both of you the best and anyone else that will be affect by the cyclone... Keep safe and I hope you'll ride it out without any hassles!!

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll be honest, with the news talking about shelters, it's certainly not helping matters! The governor's urging everyone to stay inside.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Is there an estimate with how long it will last? The more it remains on land, the faster it loses it's power.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Due to it mingling with a cold front, it will cause the storm to stall for a couple days. Basically, this week is going to suck.

And on that note, I'm going to bed.

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Ugh... not fun.

It would be handy if there was a way to send some of the warm weather your way to counter the cold front and calm down the storm.

Sleep well, hopefully things will improve in the morning.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just checking in to say so far, so good. We have heavy rain and the occasional wind gust, but our power is holding for the moment. The worst of the storm is supposed to come within the next couple of hours when the storm center comes on shore, so we'll see how things are after that. I'm hoping everything holds up.

In terms of the duration of the storm, we're not supposed to see the sun until Friday. The heavy winds are supposed to last well into midday on Tuesday, so yeah...this is not going to be a good week.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Checking in as well. So far, so good, here in Gettysburg. The street lights went out once, but then they came back on. Saw some flickers over the course of the evening, but power is holding for me, as well. Oddly, I am able to pick up 98 Rock from Baltimore on my radio—I've never been able to get that station in clear otherwise. The news says that the heaviest rainfall has passed, but it's still windy and rainy. Still got winds to deal with, as well as more rain and snow tomorrow. Plus, after the storm has moved on, there will be lingering showers and such. As HanSolo29 said, we're not seeing the sun until Friday.

May as well hole up inside and eat this trick-or-treat candy that would otherwise go to waste...

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm glad to hear you both are holding up. That's odd about the radio station, something about the weather must be amplifying the signal. The news of rain and snow doesn't sound like a good combination, that might hinder the emergency crews during and after the storm.

Keep us posted if you can and keep safe.

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    We're getting some CRAZY wind right now. Gusts over 60 mph and the power has been flickering off and on all night. It's on at the moment, but no telling how long it'll last. Hopefully it'll survive through the night. Last count was 11,000 out of power in my county, so it's going to be a LONG clean-up after this thing.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Crazy gusts here, too. I can hear the wind just roaring through the trees outside, and whipping them around like they were made of plastic. Every time a gust blows through, it sounds like something is slamming into the wall outside. Made the lights flicker off and on, but things are still holding together. Lots of flooding around, too. I saw an image of what used to be an intersection out east of Gettysburg. And I know from experience that the Gettysburg area is flood-prone.

The eye is to crawl along the Mason-Dixon line. Should be fun.

13. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Hang in there and stay safe!

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope you are going well. Hopefully the news about new films has brightened your spirits too.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, I'm out of power. I'm currently staying with my cousin to ride this thing out until our service is restored (who knows how long that'll be). On the bright side, the school district I work for is still out of power as well (4 out of the 6 buildings), so no work again tomorrow.

Also, I am VERY excited about the news concerning Disney buying Lucasfilm. It's two of my favorite things coming together! And new films? Bring it on!

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Argh about the power. Glad you don't have to work tomorrow, I would have thought they would allow people to remain home during the storm.

The more I read and hear about this news, I am becoming more and more excited about the Disney/LucasFilm announcement. We are getting a new trilogy but with possible further films every 2-3 years after that.

EDIT: I should probably post up my Disney portraits/artworks soon too.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I made it through and kept power. However, now with all this Disney/Lucasfilm news... I have a headache. I am not happy. Not happy at all. I hope it doesn't screw over my plans to get into Topps. I just got my foot in the door, I don't need Disney to slam it shut and break my foot!

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    From what I've heard, business will continue as normal though the landscape is changing... it will be hard to say what will happen in a few years time. We need more news but that will come in time.

I am kinda hoping for a Junction Point/LucasArts collaboration... an Indiana Jones title after Epic Mickey 2?

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Just got power back tonight, so it didn't turn out as bad as I thought!

In terms of this new deal and Topps, I thought about that myself and how they will handle the license in the future. Although, Upper Deck is still releasing Marvel products after the Disney deal, so hopefully that's a good sign.

I wonder about the remainder of fan activities, however. Disney is very possessive of their properties and they come down hard on unlicensed products, such as ebay auctions for fan art and things like that. I wonder how they will handle the costuming community (such as the 501st and Rebel Legion and how they acquire their costumes) and the hundreds, if not thousands, of Star Wars fan works on ebay everyday. It's going to be something to watch closely.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, if they screw over the 501st, then there will be some hell to pay. However, it appears that for all intents and purposes, Lucasfilm is to continue to act as a separate corporate entity, so fans may be safe, there. If Lucasfilm is cool with it, Disney will just have to suck it up. Else, the whole of the fandom will find them. And an angry nerd mob is a dangerous thing.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I don't think Disney would want to pull apart what had made LucasFilm successful all these years and their fan relations / fan base though I do wonder what will happen to the other companies in the long term that have the licence like Dark Horse and Hasbro. I'm sure further information will be released when they are ready to.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, Disney acknowledged that the toys were the biggest draw, so I really doubt that they'll drop Hasbro. Hasbro is a big money-maker for them.

23. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I have mixed feeling about this whole Disney Buy LucasFilm. I am just going to ride it out and see where they take it. I don't think that Disney will Screw over the 501st or RL. we raise a LOT of money that goes to charity, it would look really bad on there part if they did that.

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Good point. We also have a running relationship with Disney doing Star Wars Weekends and the like, so perhaps we're safe. Here's hoping!

Also, TrakNar - not sure if you saw the news or not, but apparently the Topps offices in NYC had flooding from Hurricane Sandy. Hopefully that won't affect future products and they can get things up and running pretty soon. Just wanted to pass along the word.

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    EDIT: Ack! Double post. It redirected me to the XenForo main site for some reason when I hit 'post reply.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.