main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I can relate and I know that next month is going to be demanding for quite a few of us with DRL, we could just do something low key this year.

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...yeah, I'm not sure if I would have time this year to participate in the gift exchange. I'm going to be finishing up a project in the next couple weeks and then after that, I'll probably be busy with holiday preparations. I'm sure everyone can relate to that! :p

Unless we limit it to something small like a sketch card or something along those lines. Although, I'm not sure how that would work because that would probably require us to actually send the final piece of art to the person through the mail.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I totally agree and it's a retail nightmare too! :p

I do like the sketch card idea but physically mailing the card would be a bugger cause of the mailing system this time of year.... unless we upload and share it like the usual gift exchange system

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Unless, of course, people don't mind having their cards arrive after December 24th. I mean, we can still share them online before then, but to physically mail them out will definitely take more time. If we go down that route, I'm all for that. I guess it all depends on what works for everyone else.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I would need to make a trip into the next county just to buy some cards, first, but that seems viable to me.

6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    *hugs TrakNar*

Well, I am teaching 23 lessons in one place and 2x4 hours in two others. I have not touched a pencil or brush in weeks. And then the NaNo thing. Luckily my husband cooks for us, because he works at home and I have to travel a lot.

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm not sure if I can get my hands on the proper cards as sketch cards are not a common in my region (I haven't been able to find them anywhere) but I am happy to produce a digital version for someone.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    If, for whatever reason, people can't get a hold of the proper card paper, would hacking down Bristol board to the proper dimensions suffice? As for digital cards... I guess printing them on heavy stock and then cutting them out would work. I've done it for brochures, flyers, and business cards. It's busywork and the cards won't be the right material and the dimensions may be off by millimeters, but it's an option.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    For those looking to get their hands on blank sketch cards, there's an easy way of making your own. I've done this plenty of times in the past and I know others have done so as well. All you need is a pad of bristol vellum or some other kind of bristol board. Lay out as many cards as you want per page (2.5" X 3.5") and cut them out individually using an exacto knife. It's the same stuff that most sketch card blanks are made of - in some cases, it's better than what you would get from companies on their official stock.

EDIT: And I see I was beaten to the punch! That's exactly right, TrakNar!

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hooray for ingenuity! :D

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Ahh, now that's really handy to know! I'm interested in giving that a go during these holidays.

I don't have a printer at home so I'll have to stick to using graphite when I attempt it.

12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I can neither paint nor draw since weeks... :(

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I was inspired by my old firefighter helmet and have drawn my new OC wearing that

14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    And I still have not baked a single German Christmas cookie or had time to change my colours, because I am hardly on-line these days.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't even shopped for people!

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Luckily, I did that weeks ago.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, I shopped for my brother. Groceries really eat up a lot of my finances. I prioritize relatives, now. This year, focus on this group, next year, focus on another group. If I can, I'll try to get people gifts, but they may end up with those cheese samplers, or chocolate, depending on which is easier on my wallet. Oh well. Everyone loves food. It's a gift that's sure to please.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Well, chocolate does makes the world go 'round... you can't go wrong with that.

I've got two presents to go and I'll be set... just need to find time in between it all to get them.

19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I want to wish everyone a happy and safe time around these holidays!

We've been through quite a bit this year regarding star wars and its future and also the boards... and makes me excited for what the future may hold. Here is to next year!

TrakNar likes this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Happy Life Day, everyone!

Figured I'd get that out now, as I'll be spending Life Day at my half-brother's.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope you'll have a great time there!

22. JediHall

JediHall Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Hey I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Merry Christmas and a happy new year, everybody!!!
    [​IMG]

TrakNar likes this.
  24. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm quite enjoying looking over all the works you guys have put out over the last month and a half. :)

Evil.

25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Yeah, I can paint again, even though finding time is a real problem. I actually need a fourth teaching position, because I still need to pay my German study debts back. Sometimes I think it was a blasted idea to become a secondary school teacher. I should have stayed a Kindergarden teacher and suck the nonsense of the Catholic church up. And somehow the time contracts are worse in the Netherlands than in Germany. But well, I have my fanart and fanfic to keep me happy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.