main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Billy Dee Williams Talk

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by LAJ_FETT , Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We went..
    we left after 15 minutes.

Was he ill/tired/jetlagged/'under the influence'/ or just didn't really care?

I also was talking to JED1 and his wife. She had waited for an autograph and wasn't impressed by him either.

So what was up with Billy Dee?

2. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    I spoke with the guy running his q - basically his plane landed at 9am, he started signing at 10am...right after a what - 12 hour flight through from LA? He was just whacked. I have to give him some credit for that and was very impressed he came back around 4:30 to sign about 40 autographs for some of us who had been waiting a half hour even though we were told he might not be coming back - cheers Billy!

But yes - he was whacked out and that made him a bit un-interacitve.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We were wondering - I mean, he started talking about his soap opera acting, mentioned singing, the audience applauded when the presenter asked if he would sing a bit, and he just said 'No'. That was around the point that we left. We ended up going to the Vader Helmet show instead.

4. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    I didn't go up for the talk as I was in something else - can't remember what now - too beat! Sounds like I didn't miss much!

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    He got plenty of applause when he came on but afer about 10 minutes people started bailing out. We lasted a bit longer. Quite frankly, I had really looked forward to seeing him but after 10 minutes I wished I had gone to the One Man SW show instead.

However, if he or the presenter had simply explained at the beginning about the flight and him being tired I might have been more forgiving. As it was, I heard many people asking what was wrong and speculating in the areas I mentioned previously.

6. GannerRhysode19

GannerRhysode19 Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2007
    Yeah, he was kinda slow today, not in a 'I can't be bothered' sorta sense, he was struggling for words and stuff, he just seemed to be outta it. I thought he might be tired, but I didn't realise how tight a schedule he was running. All credit to him, he did well considering.
    The presenter guy, tho, and his team didn't do that well. When he asked for a specific picture of Lando it took three goes to get the right one. Did the guy prepare before his show? He had very little stuff for us to watch, too, I mean over on the celebrity stage, Warwick had video presentations, 'games' for his guests, and he was genuinely funny, but this guy was just... boring too.
    All credit to Billy Dee, he was the only presentation I saw this weekend that involved talking for the entire hour, no videos or anything.

7. FitKisto88

FitKisto88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2006
    He was very subdued throughout. Its fair to say he's one of the actors who isn't really into the whole fandom thing. Although Mark Hamill reputedly isn't either, and he still managed to convey an appropriate amount of enthusiasm for the crowd.

I did feel sorry for the guys who asked specific questions about Lando's role and got minmal response. Still, Mr Williams did offer some insights into what interests him personally as an actor, and he proved that can belt out a pretty good tune as well (Just not when you ask him to).

8. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    He was like that at Jedi-Con too, even on the third day ;)
    Say no more :p

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    That's interesting to hear. I wanted to go to his talk and was disappointed that I missed it, but I guess I don't need to be. :p It's cool that he came out and did that talk even though he must have been exhausted, though. Too bad the reasons for his monosyllabic answers weren't explained better. Who was the interviewer at that one?

10. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    I'm glad I skipped his talk too, we didn't even attempt to go after he completely ignored us whilst getting his autograph, he could have at least said hello which doesn't take much energy! So far he is the most dissapointing SW actor I've ever met!

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He shook my hand at the signing and said Hello.

I suspected he was very tired when I met him for the signing, and his talk wasn't great. It got better as it went on, his singing was good and he had some interesting things to say.

12. Underpaid_Soldier

Underpaid_Soldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2003
    This is exactly how he acted at Celebration III. I went to the Q&A session, and his answers were mostly "yes", "no", or "I don't know". The host tried to elaborate on the questions for Billy in hopes he would be more responsive. The same "He was tired from a flight and busy schedule" excuse was used during C-III as well.

I just don't think he's really into the Star Wars fandom, unfortunately. I don't know why he keeps on coming then.

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    what's the saying? once is [somethingsomething], twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern?

because between Jedi-Con04, C3 (as the PAM just said) and CE it seems to be all the same

and because of that we looked at what the 1ManSWShow coincided with on all three days and picked the one we were interested in the least - and that was Billy Dee, immediately.

I love all his appearances in things like Scrubs, Lost, Fanboys, etc., but as a convention guest...

14. DARKSHREDI

DARKSHREDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2001
    Was the talk on the sunday? I saw Billy Dee arrive at the Novotel on the saturday at about 1:30 in the afternoon - which means the 9am flight story is a crock of sith!

15. Darth_Chrisious

Darth_Chrisious Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2007
    lol, the best part of his interview was when Billy Dee was asked:
    "how long have Han and Lando been friends"
    Long Pause.......
    "8 years"
    "ok, I think a lot of the books are going to have to be rewritten now"

meh, not the best interview, it had it's moments but overall he seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else, the questions he got weren't that great though, I do sympthathise with him on the constant questions like "Hey you are Black, and you were in Star Wars, what was it like being black and in Star Wars?", like he hasn't heard that like a million times before these last 30 years.

16. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    I havent seen him at CE, but he was pretty good at C4. The reason why I skipped him is because i assumed they would do the same kind of show as in LA. But truth is, in LA the host (forgot his name) also kind of carried the show, not Billy Dee.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes, ever since I saw what he was like at Jedi-Con I haven't been the least interested in wasting any money or time on him. Most people can at least put on a smile for an hour and pretend that they like to be there, they are actors after all. I have a bit more understanding that it can be tough to sit and do autographs, but what I've seen so far from Billy Dee Williams I'm not impressed at all.

18. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    The only person less interesting than Billy Dee was John Mollo :p

19. johnny124

johnny124 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    I got his auto a while ago in Milton Keynes. Same flight story IIRC. Managed to get a photo with him and a grunt after I spoke, but put me right off and we didn't bother with his talk at CE.

20. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    john mollo was great!
    if asked the right questions...like any guest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.