main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Chosen Path (AU/Tagged) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    What a way to bring Qui back! Great Post RRK.

Will Obi/Qui come to some sort of arrangement so they can at least talk to each without all the hurts of the past???

2. Estel_Kenobi

Estel_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!

R...red_rose_knight...posts...it's here...

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang...I never realized just how much I was starving for your work untill today.

I was on the phone with a friend when it hit me...RED POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I should appologize to her because I started hyperventalating, hung up on her, and sprinted to the comp to read. [face_blush]

WELCOME BACK RED!!!!!!!!!!!! WE MISSED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

3. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I cannot tell you what a joy it is to have these posts to look forward to every afternoon; it even manages to turn a dreadful day into a bearable preliminary - and you are so on target with this that it's almost scary, RED.

Shoving that last thought to the side, the white haired Jedi wondered what he had done to hurt his padawans so.. Excuse the Bugs Bunny imitation, but, "What a maroon!" He wondered!!!!! Well, let's face it, Jinn the Tatooine Terror was on the road to perdition the day you picked him up on the street in Mos Espa - but - as for the other 'padawan' in question - I would think that slapping him down like a pesky dog and trying to skewer him with a lightsaber - among many, many other things - would suffice. Has the man gone senile?

You know, RED, your lovely paths are all yours, but I am harboring one, tiny little hope. I hope, before that final paragraph is written, somewhere along this road, we get to see the King of the Chowderheads stand up and announce, loud and clear, that it is ALL his fault!!! Mea culpa maximus! And whatever resolution you plan for Obi (I'm trying hard not to cringe here) I am also hoping that he, at least, gets the satisfaction - finally - of knowing that HE was the innocent victim - the injured party; that He was NOT the one who was unworthy.

Have you noticed? I'm ranting here - sooooooooo . . . . anyone who disagrees better saddle up, because - AHEM - we're off!

Lovely work. Let's see. Let's go for something different. How about chateaubriand and truffles, vichysoise, and floating island for dessert? With, of course, a split of champagne - all for the author's delight - and served by you know who - still in silk and leather, with hair down to his tush, a la Serpent's Kiss.

BTW - did you know that you were the person who drew my to this board in the first place? Sometimes, I really want to thank you; other times, I'm not so sure. :eek:

See you tomorrow.

CYN

4. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

A great post, RRK! Qui-Gon's hair may have turned snow white, but that's the only thing that has changed about the man. The passing years certainly haven't made him any wiser.

One can't help but be flabbergasted by the lack of sensitivity and awareness on Qui's part when he questions why his former padawans give him the cold shoulder.

What did he ever do to hurt Obi!...Does the numbskull need a list drawn up of the despicable deeds he inflicted on his emotionally scarred former apprentice.

Isn't it like the old oblivious fool to just shrug off any tell-tale warnings of darkness surrounding Anakin, but then the Jedi master always was a sucker for his "chosen one."

5. Halcyon03

Halcyon03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, Red, you almost made me feel sorry for Qui-Gon. Anakin's cold replies to Qui's attempts at warmth really had me hoping that Qui would now realize his mistakes (or his mistake, singular, of dismissing Obi so quickly and entirely). I actually felt for the man when Anakin turned his back on him and shattered his hopes.

Almost.

Until the last line, anyways. How blind can one man be? Shoving that last thought to the side, the white haired Jedi wondered what he had done to hurt his padawans so. Oh, boy, Qui- wake up and smell the open bottle of Whyren's Reserve!

The question is, ladies and gents, WILL HE EVER GET A CLUE???

His ignorance is maddening!

Of course, I'm sure that's what you intended when you wrote that line, Red... ;)

Keep up the great work!!!

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :( I almost feel sorry for him. :eek: Only you could inspire that feeling in regards to Jinn Red! :)

7. Siri_Z

Siri_Z Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2002
    HA!!! A needless absolutly brainless question that only that airhead would ask to himself!

Ok got that out... :D

But really not with all that much respect... he deserves every bitter word! <~~ hmm i think i went a lil cold there... :confused: well ok perhaps a lil too cold... eep wat am i saying?!

Yup I'm gunna go before i confuzzle myself.. even more

Till Later~
    Siri

8. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Dang!

CYN Have you noticed? I'm ranting here - sooooooooo . . . . anyone who disagrees better saddle up, because - AHEM - we're off! [face_laugh] Who would dare to disagree with you?

I'm always so late to join the rant and everyone has left me in the dust. Oh well- I'll just repeat everyone else's thoughts.

Master Jinn.

The way the young man had said his name reminded Qui-Gon of how Obi-Wan had spoken so many years ago. Everything about Anakin was cold and detached and emanated of a vague warning.

Shoving that last thought to the side, the white haired Jedi wondered what he had done to hurt his padawans so.

*rips hair out* Stupid stupid stupid stupid!!!!!! Duh! Rahter ironic Qui that the "young man" (I prefer Brat!) for whom you rejected Obi-wan for, thereby causeing Obi's "cool" attitude towards you. now acts the same towards you!!! Should have stuck with the Padawan you had buster and neither one would be lost to you now! I must say thoguh, that I'm quite pleased withthe way things turned out. Obi has received the recognition he deserves as being such an excellent Jedi, he has true friends, ofetn the support of the Council, and a first-rate Padawan, just like he was. He has everyting that you had and could have had, but HAH!!! You're a moron so deal with it jerk and I can't wait to see it when you realize how bad you screwed up!

Hmmm... And that "last thought" that he oushed aside... Yeah- the vague warning of danger. He is still blind to what is the truth!!!! Once again he's focusing on his selfish urgings to understand why he has ended up in this postition, both his padawans hating him, and ignoring what is truly important, ANkain is dangerous!!! Once again the part of the main reasons that things tunrned out so poorly. He didn't listen to Obi-wan!

Wow! RRK I can't believe how much you leave for us to go back to and see the connections and parallelisms, and all of it prompted by a couple simple paragrapghs. [face_dumbfounded] It's amazing!

So more Obi tomorrow?? [face_hopeful] I'm expecting either flashback number one or perhaps somehting with Bant. That's my guess, but you're full of surprises Red so whatever we get I know I'll be thrilled, as I"m sure everyone else will be.

-Rogue

9. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    ?I serve the Republic in my own way as I am sure you do, Master Jinn.? With that the twenty-five-year-old nodded curtly, turned and marched away.

Interesting... we all have a pretty good idea of what Anakin is up to (or should I say Vader? ;) ) but isn't that such a double entendré? Because didn't Qui-Gon train Anakin to become the lethal "soldier" that he is... And the "I'm sure you do" makes me wonder about Anakin's possible knowledge of what Qui-Gon is doing. If it is Master Jinn's job to show where Palpatine is abusing his powers, wouldn't that technically be work that isn't serving the Republic at least in Palpatine's and Anakin's eyes? Is it possible that Anakin would be working to prevent Qui-Gon from gathering information? :confused: Or maybe I'm totally barking up the wrong tree :D

Cyn

And whatever resolution you plan for Obi (I'm trying hard not to cringe here) I am also hoping that he, at least, gets the satisfaction - finally - of knowing that HE was the innocent victim - the injured party; that He was NOT the one who was unworthy.

And images and sequences from AUF and Lingering Frost run through my mind. DON'T KILL HIM RED! EVEN IF IT DOES MAKE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR HIM TO COME BACK AND HAUNT QUI-GON!!! 8-}

10. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    The way the young man had said his name reminded Qui-Gon of how Obi-Wan had spoken so many years ago.

Well, in any case, we have Qui-Gon still tortured by the memory of Obi-Wan--and I can be cruel. Let him suffer. What he did to his apprentice was unimaginable, so bring on the angst for our now-white-haired Master.

Though what really hurts is that after six years, Qui-Gon was all smiles and "would you like some tea?" for Anakin, which he never did for Obi-Wan. That, in any case, despite Qui-Gon's marvelous knee-jerk reaction of indifference, tends to lend to the idea that he's still clinging to Anakin as his almighty Chosen One.

Grow up, Qui-Gon. The real treasure was right in front of him for so many years, and he didn't notice.

Thus concludes the rants of yet another Obi-lover...

11. Jadia

Jadia Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2001
    Three long months it?s took but now
    Your back to tell exactly how
    And where this path will lead them all,
    If and when and how they fall.
    Start with Obi-Wan so fine
    Putting his life on the line
    Turned away by Qui-Gon Jinn
    Who trained that bratty Anakin.
    Saved by one so crystal clear, oh
    Thank the lord for Bali Tiro!
    Faithfully we?ve all been waiting
    Points of Star Wars now debating
    Happy for the tale you?ve spun
    And fear its end, though just begun.
    Angst and sorrow, mush-filled finds
    Feeding to the readers? minds
    She?s topped the charts, no one can smite
    The fanfic author Red Rose Knight.

Red, you've just given me the best birthday present by far, even though it's a day early. Every few weeks I would check back here to see if the Snapshots had been updated, and today, whaddya know, I saw a link for The Chosen Path! At first I thought it was a mistake cause I heard the vile word "February" mentioned, but no! You've started early! I'm sad that I missed as much as I did, since every post is precious, but hey, I'm here! Whee!

Taking a look at the past few posts, all I can do is squeal happily from my little corner of the world. I'm VERY *VERY* happy Obi is a lot better than I expected him to be. Vegetable, he is not! You have my eternal gratitude. I also liked the bit between Qui and Ani. Poor Qui... well, kinda. Still wallowing in the pits of self-pity after all those years? Come on! Pull your head out!

Thank you's to infinity. [face_love]

12. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Uh! Uh!

Did I read that old man right?

[walks up to him and slaps him. Looks at him, slaps him again}

"Snap out of it!"

:mad: I wash my hands of you, Qui-Gon. You've learned nothing. So much for your famed compassion.

You see your own callousness reflected in your precious 'legacy'. Reap what you've sown, Qui-Gon.

Great post, Red. I'm not sure I can take these emotional reintroductions. Now that's great writing.

13. creelin

creelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    Red,

I just wanted to say that these daily posts really brighten my day, and I decided to go back and read through the first two books again. I read AUP today, and I'll finish TLTP tomorrow.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually do feel sorry for Qui-Gon. Yes, he's a bone-headed idiot who really should have seen his mistakes long ago and rectified them, but I find it sad that he's just dense enough to blind himself to what he doesn't want to see. I think, deep down, he really does want to make up with Obi, but he can't get past his pride to do that. It's his pride that keeps blinding him to his apprentice's faults, and probably, at least I hope, that somewhere in this he'll dispense with the pride and right some of his wrongs. Or at the very least, finally tell Obi-Wan that he was innocent, and hopefully Obi will believe him.

Anyway, I'm loving this. I can't wait for the next post, hopefully with Obi-Wan or Bant in it. I love your version of Bant, Red.

14. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Yet another case of those wonderful ending lines RRK manages to spin. :D

Shoving that last thought to the side, the white haired Jedi wondered what he had done to hurt his padawans so.

As everyone else has already said, but I can't help myself, GET A FREAKIN' CLUE, JINN! That thought which you are "pushing aside" is a big part of the reason, both in your reaction to it(to push it aside in favor of self-pity) and the actual feeling itself(Anakin has always been on the edge, in large part thanks to you taking him away from his life with his mother and in spoiling him rotten afterwards and you are just blind to it).

You really had me feeling sorry for the lunkhead, RRK, right up until that last line. At which point he showed himself to be as self-centered and blind as ever. I mean, he didn't actually really do anything to make Anakin treat him like this--just the opposite. However when it comes to Obi-Wan...it's like "Qui, this might take a while, ya have a few months?"

Part of me still does pity him. He had such opportunities, he had a wonderful padawan in Obi-Wan, someone who would have remained a devoted and caring friend to him. And he tossed him aside like nothing. He also put distance between himself and his fellow Jedi brethren in his single minded pursuit of his "legacy". It's actually very sad.

You know in the end, for either Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan:):shivers::) whichever comes first, Obi-Wan despite everything that has happened between them, will still, if the story makes any turns that way, show himself to be a truer friend and "legacy" for Jinn than he ever deserved and hopefully in that moment, Qui-Gon will finally realize it.

It will be interesting to see how you bring Obi-Wan's "AUP" past into it to "haunt" him. And that many flashbacks around the submission dart incident? I know I've been dying to find out about it too, what was it that made him "freak out" so?

WOOHOOO!!! And the rants are back!!! Everyone feelin' good? ;)

15. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Shoving that last thought to the side, the white haired Jedi wondered what he had done to hurt his padawans so. Oi! That just makes me want to smack him in the head with a bat! :mad:

Ha! I actually feel sorry for Qui-Gon (no, not really). This is only his first appearance in the story and already look at all the wonderful rants he inspired.

16. Padawan_Amanda

Padawan_Amanda Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2002
    Once again, Qui-Gon has shown us just how oblivious he can be.

the white haired Jedi wondered what he had done to hurt his padawans so.

Well, considering that he's really the only padawan of Qui-Gon's that really counts, let's count the ways that he has hurt Obi-Wan.

On second thought, let's not because that list would be way too long. How could he possibly have to wonder about what he had done to hurt him? If we consider nothing else, the small incident of Qui-Gon trying to run him through with his lightsaber is more than enough reason for Obi to speak coldly to him. I could almost feel sorry for Qui-Gon's pain at Anakin's leaving him, but he brought it on himself when he gave up Obi for Anakin.

Anyway, good post Red! Your posts are fast becoming one of the bright parts of my day. :)

17. ROGUE_49

Apr 14, 2002
    CK!!!!! *Rogue panicking as she read this* And images and sequences from AUF and Lingering Frost run through my mind.DON'T KILL HIM RED! I'm only on chapter 16 in AUF!!! What are you telling me CK? He dies!!!!!! [face_shocked] I'm scared. I don't think I can handle that! Dare I continue reading it and risk the agony of mounrning our favorite Jedi? What should I do?!?!?!

Whoa! did I actually hear some "I actually feel sorry for Qui-gon"'s. [face_devil] hehe! Just kidding. I'll leave it to RRK to change your mind as she progresses in showing him to be the jerk he is in future posts.

Jadia That was wonderful!!! I loved it! Has that little poem been in the works for months, in your anticipation of TCP? 8-} or did you come up with it on the fly. Pretty nifty, I must say. I like these lines especially.

Start with Obi-Wan so fine
    Putting his life on the line
    Turned away by Qui-Gon Jinn
    Who trained that bratty Anakin.

Faithfully we?ve all been waiting
    Points of Star Wars now debating
    hehe! debating? Ranting is the word.

Angst and sorrow, mush-filled finds
    Feeding to the readers? minds
    [face_licks lips]

[/i]She?s topped the charts, no one can smite
    The fanfic author Red Rose Knight.[/i] Dang right!

Heck I love it all Jadia :D

I know that I will be back later, so.. enough said for the moment. hehe! -Rogue

EDIT: This is my 500th post!!

18. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    creelin~ the minority consists of two fans... hehe i hope no body kills me after this.

Red, if you were planning on killing Qui sometime, don't worry about it, all these people smacking him in the head is sure to help him keel over.

White hair and he's still not as smart as we would hope. But it's a stituation that makes you want to hug him as you would your grandpa. Old and always wanting to be right. Everyone has a stubborn streak, and Qui's just happens to be with being correct and in control.

If you think about it, Qui's not the only one at fault here. Obi has a little blame too.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE OBI! but I feel bad for Qui with all these people ganging up on our favortite master.

Sure he messed up big time, but Obi has his faults too. He's too nice and eager to accept the blame for any situation. And Qui's too stubborn and stupid. They kind of compliment each other nicely, if you think about it.

I'll go back to playing dumb and stupid now. Good post Red! I'll be here waiting for tomorrow's.

~*Nik*~

19. ROGUE_49

Apr 14, 2002
    *whistles* If you think about it, Qui's not the only one at fault here. Obi has a little blame too. I've posted enough for one night so I'll leave that rant to someone else. *looks around* Where's CYN when you need her? Watch you back Nikita8-} -Rogue

20. Halcyon03

Apr 9, 2002
    Part of me still does pity him. He had such opportunities, he had a wonderful padawan in Obi-Wan, someone who would have remained a devoted and caring friend to him. And he tossed him aside like nothing. He also put distance between himself and his fellow Jedi brethren in his single minded pursuit of his "legacy". It's actually very sad.

That it is, naw ibo, that it is. It's so easy (and fun ;) ) to get angry and rant about how blind Qui is, but in reality, that blindness is as sad as if it had been an actual physical disability. He really can't see what's right in front of him. And the fact that he really did have things so good when Obi was his padawan and gave him up for {ahem} a less favorable apprentice makes it even worse. He can't really go back on that decision, even if his pride would let him. What's done is done, after all- and wouldn't we all like to change the outcome of things every once in a while? The worst part about it is that his blindness has led to Obi-Wan's hurting as well. Hopefully, like you said, the two will be able to come to some sort of reckoning, at least with themselves, before, gulp, the end comes.

But why are we all talking about "ends" anyways??? There's still lots of story left, right?

And we'll all be sitting in front of our respective computers, eagerly awaiting the next installment, and then the next, and then the next.... 8-}

21. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    AHEM!!!!

Blood soaked the right sleeve of Obi-Wan?s brown cloak. He stopped and studied the dried blood that covered his hand as if he were completely amazed by it. Staring past it, his eyes met Qui-Gon?s and he smiled. "Master Jinn," he said formally and bowed.

The coldness radiating from the knight made the boy retreat into the shelter of his master?s protection.

"Come, Anakin," Qui-Gon said gruffly and with the sweep of his billowing cloak sleeve shielded the boy as he lead his apprentice away.

"But Master," Anakin whispered softly, "that?s Obi-Wan."

"Knight Kenobi," Qui-Gon corrected but gave no more attention to the quiet figure standing near the chamber doors. "He is of no concern to us."

Though that is not the opening paragraph of this wonderful series, it is the opening salvo of the story of the cold relationship between former Master and apprentice.

From the sound of it, one would think that the Padawan had done something totally unforgivable, to make the Master speak so.

So what did the youth do? Oh, well, let's see. Damn near killed himself healing a Master that should have died under the Sith's blade on Naboo. And then, was left alone to heal, while the Master took care of more important matters - like training the Tatooine Twerp; God forbid the old man might have taken the opportunity to sit and try to nurse the kid back to health. Then, when the young man tries to tell him about his prospective knighting ceremony, the only thing that matters is that the Brat wants ice cream. Later, when the Brat screams bloody murder because the young knight doesn't fall at his feet and worship, the Master takes a lightsaber to the former padawan. Subsequently, when Obi-WAn rescues the Master Bumbler and his Twit from certain death, the Master has to be shamed into saving him.

Shall we continue? In all the years of his maturity - in the course of this story - has Qui-Gon Jinn EVER bothered to acknowledge that - just maybe - he was WRONG - even when Anakin proved to be the ultimate MISTAKE?

Never.

Feel sorry for Master Bloody-Minded Tunnel Vision? Only because he's become old and disillusioned - and because, ultimately, he threw away that which would have changed his life.

Unfortunately - in doing so, he didn't only hurt himself. He took everything that Obi-WAn gave - willingly - and then threw him away like yesterday's news.

Is that forgivable?

To put it bluntly, Hell, no!!!

Oh, my - that felt good. :D

CYN

22. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Okay, I know everyone else has already said it, but has Qui-Gon gone senile or what?! Obi-Wan caused himself permanent damage by saving that man's life, and he tossed him aside. It galls me that he would run to Anakin happily to invite him to tea after the brat left him and the Jedi for his own selfish reasons. While on the other hand, he ambushed poor Obi in the halls of the Jedi Temple itself and tried to run him through for just having a few choice words for the brat. It seems that Qui has a long road to travel before he comes to the truth of what he has done and exactly to whom.

Great post Red and thanks for letting me know how to use the faces. :)

23. Halcyon03

Apr 9, 2002
    Did it strike anyone else funny that Qui-Gon invited Anakin to come have tea with him? Not Corellian brandy, or Whyren's Reserve, or caf, or one of the other popular Star Warsian drinks, but tea...

"Oh Anakin! Long time no see!! How would you like to discuss your long absences and our differences over a nice little cup of tea??"

Reading over that post again, that just struck me as rather funny for some reason... 8-}

Oh well, it gave me a good laugh!

Go get 'em, Cyn!!! I must admit, I love reading your rants!

24. ROGUE_49

Apr 14, 2002
    *cheers wildly* GO CYN!! You're my hero, well, after Obi-wan of course.

hehe! Hal I think someone did mention that on the previous page, but it was entertaining to be reminded agian how funny that was.

Ths thread has become my new home. I must go visit my bed though or it will feel abandoned, just as my senses have been, asI am close to giving into the temptation to stay up all night clicking reload to read everyone's interesting responses.

:D -Rogue

25. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    Rogue - go to bed, as I'm about to if I can just get a few more paragraphs written. Sometimes, I swear, writing is like giving birth; you never know which ones are going to come easy - and which are going to put you through days of labor pains. :)

Anyway, I have a feeling RED is going to break all kinds of records with this one. These stories touch so many people - and inspire so much loyalty and passion - that she may just generate more posts than anyone in history - so none of us are going to be present for all the action. And if we hope to get anything done on our own work, we're going to have to toughen up enough to turn our backs and only stop in once or twice a day. [face_mischief]

Night, All.

CYN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.