main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Buffy Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by SySnootles, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Oh, yeah, I'm there. :) (Still peeved about not getting Marsters autograph at GenCon a couple of years ago...)

BTW, I just got Season 2 on DVD (with holiday money *grins*). I didn't realize that I missed 3 of the first 5 episodes of that season... I'm not the big Buffy fan like Catie after all. :( (But I'm sure gonna catch up! :) )

2. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I managed to find the website for that Buffy convention at www.flashbackweekend.com. They list 3 prices for the con (apt name in this case, I think): Gold Package for $250, VIP Package for $100, and a Two-Day Pass for $75. This convention is far too expensive for my taste.

Phil

3. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Looking at James Marsters' website, I see he's supposed to be at Dragon*Con this year. Although it will involve more travel and other expenses, from what I've heard about D*C, it'll probably be a more fun convention to see him at.

Phil

4. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Thank you, Phil. That is indeed the convention which I was talking about. A bit on the pricey side, yes. I'm hoping there's a one day pass that's a bit cheaper.

I have been neglecting this thread, and for that I apologize. I've been a bit busy. But I'm back! And on an actual computer!! Woo hoo!

So, in regards to the last new episode which aired about three weeks ago -- how upset will you be if Willow "hooks up" with that Kennedy chick? Me? I may need to buy a new TV if it happens. Thoughts?

Have you all received the latest Star Wars insider? There's a nicely large article discussing the Star Wars references in BtVS. Quite entertaining. I especially liked this part: "Writing for the three nerdy villians is particularly easy, [writer David Fury] says. 'If I need something for them to talk about, I stick my head out of my office, and I listen to whatever Doug and Drew are arguing about, and I just write it down.'" It's fun to see where the show's sense of humor originates.

I would like to host another Buffy night here in Shorewood. Maybe in late January/February. Sound like fun? And just to warn you, Tom, we WILL be showing the musical episode. And I'd like to show the episode "The Body", which is very heavy, very dark, and quite possibly the best thing I've ever seen on television. And then there's the fun stuff. Any takers?

5. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    I'd certainly come, I had a blast last time.

I didn't see the new episode you're talking about. By Kennedy do you mean that ex-MTV VJ from about 8-10 years ago? *shivers* That would be odd.

6. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Oh Gawd No! But you're absolutely right -- that would be very disturbing. This Kennedy is a young lass with a spitfire personality. Very agressive and not afraid to speak her mind. Totally opposite of Tara, Willow's now deceased soulmate. Which makes me think that yes, they are going to have them "couple," just so Willow can have a rebound gal. I am NOT happy about that.

Sometimes I think I get so involved in these characters' lives so I won't have to have one of my own. Hmmm.......

Ooo - Idaara, which episodes did you miss? What did you think of them?

EDIT: Poor punctuation. There's just no excuse.

7. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Its getting harder and harder to check this thread without spoiling myself, Catie! I'm jonesing to get season 3 tomorrow (after a short debate in my head in which I foolishly thought I could de-justify spending money on a DVD purchase instead of the house!). Once Maureen and I get through season 3, I will warn you guys--we're going to want to borrow season 4 if someone has it on tape out there.

I would be very much interested in Buffy night 2. You can count me in (depending on the date, Maureen might come also). Just let me know when!

Jason

8. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Kennedy the VJ was hott.

9. SkyJammer

SkyJammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    If I'm free, I'm there, Catie. Just... not the first weekend of February, 'kay? I'll definitely not be around.

As for the convention... it'd be nice to go, but that is a bit expensive.

I haven't decided if I'll pick up the DVDs tomorrow or not; I still have to get through disc 3 of S1 and I haven't bought S2 yet.

-Phil

10. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Okay, I'm sure this is me being stupid and forgetting something (or possibly missing it), but what the hell's with the telepathy?

Jeff

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    To quote Space Ghost, let's talk about what went wrong with tonight's show.

Why are all the slayers girls? Isn't that a little gender biased?

Why do I feel like the producers are trying to lure me in with the promise of lesbians?

What's the deal with the big pulsating cluster of eyeballs? That thing reminds me of those Gross Ball toys that were around in the mid-80s.

Why do the cut shots on some of those stunts look ridiculously fake?

Is Spike's trademark bad haircut coming back?

When Buffy cut Spike down at the end, why didn't he yell "You gotta cut me, coach! Cut meee!!"

Bring on the ellipses. k thx bye

12. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Okay, all slayers-to-be being girls works for me. I'd say that 9 out of 10 of them are cute, so I shan't complain.

I dunno about the lesbian thing, but they're either planning on keeping her around or killing her off because they're definitely trying to make us like her more than the rest. I just think that it'd be too soon for Willow to jump right in again, too. But maybe that's just me.

I thought the eyeball cluster looked cheesy too, but it's still kinda cool. Reminded me of something HP Lovecraft would dream up. That and bad effects never bother me. I like Doctor Who and Babylon 5.

Oh, and here are your ellipses, chump

Jeff

13. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Gracias, Pepé.

14. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    I was very confused by the telepathy, too. Willow, sure. Buffy, I can maybe see an arguement for. But Xander? What gives? But if you think about it, with Willow being a natural witch, therefore prone to telepathic abilities, and Buffy being the Slayer with all of her superhuman abilities, why wouldn't their mojo work with someone who doesn't have the predisposition for telepathy. Sort of rubbing off on him, I guess.

And the direction of the fight scenes was a bit off, at least for a Buffy ep.

I'm starting to like Kennedy, darn it! As long as she and Willow don't do any horizontal tangoing, I'll be fine. Some of the other Slayers in training have to go. Is it that hard to find young gals who can act?

And be honest -- How hard did you laugh at the "I'm bored. Episode I bored." line? I believe I reached the gaffaw level.

It's nice to see you're watching, Tom.

15. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    I caught the episode as well, and I will definitely agree about the bad acting. I wanted Buffy to stake the girl with the cheezy "british" accent through the head. She is in dire need of a dialect coach. The evil chick with the southern accent was exceptionally annoying as well.

The Kennedy thing didn't bug me, she seemed like a good person. Her and Willow getting together wouldn't bother me, but then I'm an extreme Buffy newbie so I really haven't experienced the whole Willow/Tara relationship. I'm sure that would certainly alter my opinion.

I think my favorite line of the episode was "How does evil taste?" "Chalky."

16. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Catie, the first one of the missed episodes I can think of is Inca Mummy Girl. And maybe it was because it was the one of the 3 that I missed that I liked the most (very excellent!). I absolutely loved revisiting S2. I cried (again) when Giles had to deal with the death of Jenny and also when Buffy had to send Angel to Hell.

Re: last night's episode, I didn't understand what gave with the telepathy either and how Dawn figured it out. I thought the eyeball guy was cheesy (brought back thoughts of monsters from Dr. Who or Hitchhiker's Guide), and I don't like what it had to say in regards to how the First came into power. :( Kennedy is trying way too hard with Willow. With all the stuff going on, where is Faith? Surely the First wants her dead also since killing Buffy won't activate a new Slayer anyway. Also, if the proto-vampire was so easy to kill, why did it kick Buffy's backside so hard the first time? And if the First can only assume the form of someone deceased, how can it impersonate Buffy for Spike? Because she has died already (twice)? Was anyone else upset that there were no previews for next week?

Tom, the Slayer has to be a girl. It's the rule. If it was a guy, it'd be no fun. We need our own superhero, too. :) (Edit: And WonderWoman just doesn't cut it. *grins*)

17. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Jigga-wha? That's like saying the Backstreet Boys are better than U2! To which I answer with this quote from Bono: "They are the boys, but we are the men."

Wonder Woman sure as hell does cut it, blasphemer! :p

18. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Wonder woman is a boys superchicky, not a girls super hero. Wonder woman as a rule just rots as a super hero. oooh she has a cool little lariat and a neat pair of bracelets and a super groovey tiara...what she has which Tom apparently likes is a rack..of tickets for her supercool invisible jet.

So no, Super woman does NOT cut it, not even close.

M

ps- Yes, I know it was a weak cover.

19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Maybe I should pose the question in simpler terms: How is it that little girls make better superheroines than grown women?

20. SkyJammer

SkyJammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Just because it's appropriate for this thread, a Happy 26th Birthday to one Amber "Tara" Benson.

-Phil

21. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, because they're not little girls. They're younger women...powerpuff girls...that would have been a better analogy for age difference.

M

22. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm 26 years old. Every female under 18 ...or more aptly, supposed to be under 18... is a little girl to me.

23. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Ah yes. Just in case Amber wanders over to our boards (I can dream, can't I?), very Happy Birthday.

And I'm not even going to touch the whole girl/young woman thing. You just don't want me to go there.

24. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Ooo -- I mean to say...

Idaara, IMG is a very good ep. I love the Twinkie scene (I was very impressed with Xander's ability to talk with a whole Twinkie shoved in his mouth. I wonder how much he practiced that?) and Willow in the Eskimo outfit. <Shrug> "Sigh".

And Dawn, wonderful to see you watching, too. I see some of the violence of the show is rubbing off on you. You go Girl!

25. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Well if no one's got an answer for me, I'll just have to assume that one doesn't exist. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.