main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Character Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by LightWarden, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
  2. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Are the "edit" and "quote" buttons reversed on this forum? Resource is the only place I double post like this...

3. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    What about triple?

Not a clue, don't normally touch the things except at rare circumstances so I have to look every time[face_monkey]

4. Loocem

Loocem Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2011
    Ohh, I like that. That seems very neat, I would like to use that system.

Can we get a confirm on characters yet?

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Death Star, been there, done that. Starfighters? Too easily replaceable, especially if they're droid-piloted. Now, coordinates for the Emperor's tour of his member worlds, there's something. The Alliance flipped out at the chance to go up against a Death Star and take out Palpatine at the same time, just think of what they would have done if they knew where Palpatine's convoy to the Death Star would have been and when, particularly if they possess something like an Interdictor cruiser. And if the Emperor just happened to dismantle the HoloNet like WEG Palpatine did, and is already in transit, then it would be incredibly vital to retrieve those plans before they can be put to use...

6. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    If it is a McGuffin it needs to be something simple and approachable. I´d say make it a system. Maybe some secret production facility of the Sith Lord Palpatine? Or Tython? The route ot the fabled origin place of the Jedi Order?

If it is meant to be important it must be something galaxy changing, after all. There are a lot of secrets never brought to light when Palpatine died, I guess. A superweapon in Jedi hands, where the Jedi must decide what to do with it . . . would be hell of an interesting plot.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Or you can follow another conceit.

"Beep boop beep."

"No, don't be silly; of course Master Luke wouldn't sell us to the Hutts."

And as far as MacGuffins go, you're missing the point. A MacGuffin serves no further purpose in the story than furthering the plot. Thus, if your "MacGuffin" is Palpatine's route to the Death Star, and your game is centered around killing Palpatine...well, that's not a MacGuffin. It's an element that is deliberately misleading - John Doe finds a briefcase full of money and decides to run off with it. He stays in a dusty motel where the forces of Hell decide to wage their initial attack against the Earth. The briefcase serves no purpose other than getting John Doe to the motel, and is thus a MacGuffin.

8. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    The MacGuffin is something what drives the characters. It is a stand in to bring characters into a certain situation. A phantom motivation for characters, usually. The idea it serves no purpose is the Hitchcockian version of it, but the Death Star plans were one too, and they served later in the film as an entry point for the finale (and Hitchcock had lists of agents, names of spies and such things, too. So the Hitckcockian MacGuffin idea is actually a case sloppy scientific work). So I think indeed everything above is a good MacGuffin, in the sense it got Luke and Leia on board and Grivious behind them. I don´t see where he went wrong with the idea, really. I personally dig the coordinates idea, because you can have players go through libraries or meet ancient people later on in pursuit of that hint.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Of course; the conversation above was to discuss what might happen if Threepio and Artoo were separated.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Launched Destiny's End. Pretty stoked.

11. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    It's already pretty epic.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    :p

13. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    So just realized we never did figure out who Leia's Master was. Maybe Shaak Ti?

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  15. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Hmm, what about Tsui Choi as her Master?

He was more of a pacifist Jedi that believed only in killing another if one must and has no viable alternitive. Though he fought in the Yinchorri war and was an active General in the Clone Wars that led a Red Squadron, he would not attack Vader at first until after Vader had murdered Jedi in the same room as him on Kashyyk.

Just thought I would add my penny to the pile, unfortunately I cannot find a good link that lists the Council members during the start of the end of the clone wars.

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Here ya go. That list is after Anakin's appointment in ROTS, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it should help you out.

17. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah, that's where I got Shaak Ti from.

Orrrr ... maybe Stass Allie? Maybe even Aalya Secura? Although I'm hesitant to put in Aalya, because she's got a lot of Clone Wars-era history I don't know or care to find out about.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I say Coleman Kcaj because his name is a transparent reference to Jack Coleman.:p

19. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Aalya wasn´t a Master by that time I believe. But if it comes to diplomacy I´d say the eternal pacifist tree might be a good Master?

T´ra Saa

She is not council, but old and wise. And I imagine the Council was pretty busy anyway, with Dooku winning the war.

20. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Ooh, I like T'ra Saa. I think I'll go with her. :D

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Not Master Ahsoka Tano? :p

22. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Unfortunately, my opinion of Ahsoka would get me banned here. :p

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Master Saa it is, then. Unfortunately, Padme doesn't seem to care for the tree-lady's love for you.

Introduced Ventress and Jade in this post. Do TEEGIRLOO and Anne have any ideas as to what their Sith names might be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.