main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Chronological Order (TCW Episodes & Viewing Orders)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by han_solo_321, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think it's quite a bit better than AOTC, but I think AOTC is pretty freaking terrible, so that's not saying much.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't like The Phantom Menace (I actually like the novel, the pacing of the movie was terrible... and don't get me started on the acting) or The Clone Wars film. Clone Wars (Tartakovsky (sp?)) was too over-the-top for me to enjoy it. Seriously? That Venator-class Star Destroyer can fit 2,000 LAAT/i gunships on it? No. Just no.

The Ewoks and Droids cartoons were aimed for kids. For them, it was likely really good, but I don't really get much enjoyment out of them. It's just too cheesy for me.

Big fan of the EU novels. Considering I'm a self-confessed Star Wars nerd I don't seem to like too much of it, do I? :p

I have a very high standard, I guess. Still, great Star Wars is some of the best entertainment I've ever had and ever will have. That's probably why I get so disappointed at mere "mediocre" Star Wars.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I love all of the films, because they are a six film saga meant to be seen in episode order not a pair of separate trilogies, so I prefer not to differentiate between them buy such arbitrary rankings whenever possible.

TCW simply doesn't fit with how I see the universe, because the old material was written to be a specific way for a specific reason, not the footnote we have now due to TCW.

4. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I like AOTC as the first film of the prequels. I really like the fact that if you discount TPM, AOTC builds up both the droid and clone armies throughout the film, and you don't seem either in action until Geonosis, when everything hits the fan.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I like TPM considerably more than AOTC. When it comes to fan edits, I think Attack of the Federation (TPM fan edit) is a million times better than GL's AOTC, and I honestly haven't bothered watching any AOTC fan edits yet because I don't see how the movie could be saved without being 45 minutes long.

6. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but didn't really want to start my own thread, so here goes:
    I'm doing a first-time watch-through of TCW using Leland Chee's chronological notes, but was curious about which episodes/chapters of the Clone Wars micro-series would be considered absolutely critical in terms of bridging the events of Attack of the Clones with the events of the TCW series since we're pretty much tossed into the middle of things- moreso than is typical with SW - with Cat and Mouse and the rest of the series.

Note: I may at some point watch the CW micro-series in whole, but, for now, I'm interested only in those pieces of it that would constitute absolutely critical 'backstory' in relation to TCW.

7. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I'd like to answer this question, considering I just watched the micro-series. I turned it off about 10 minutes ago. IMHO, I would watch:
    Volume I: Chapter 1-3, 5-11, 17-19
    Volume II: Chapter 21

Edit: But if you're an ABSOLUTE minimalist:
    Volume I: Chapter 1-2, 6-7, 10-11, 17-19
    Volume II: Chapter 21

8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ Thanks; I have to be honest, though, that that's more than I was expecting. Since I've already started watching TCW, do you think it's worth it to pause my forward progression and go watch those chapters of the micro-series or should I just wait until a later date to play catch-up with them?

9. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    It depends. The chapters are short, so you wouldn't exactly be wasting too much time.

On the other hand, I could simply tell you: before a certain battle, Palpatine suggests (politely overstepping Jedi authority) that Anakin lead the space forces, thus separating Anakin and Obi-Wan. Elsewhere, Dooku comes upon a girl seeking his training (an ex-Jedi teaching an ex-Jedi). Ventress proves her skills and is ordered to lure Anakin from the battle. Disregarding restraint, Anakin overpowers Ventress, and seemingly kills her. The council then decides to knight Anakin, despite the fact that Anakin has yet to face his inner-demons.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Even then, it's easy to watch TCW without ever having watched the micro-series. Both are pretty serialized, so it's easy to watch one but not the other. Chronologically, chapters 1-21 all take place before TCW, while it's uncertain where chapters 22-25 will fall. Chapters 22-25 lead directly into ROTS, but we don't know where TCW will go relative to that same time frame.

And when we say short, we mean short. The first 20 chapters are all about 5 minutes each, while the rest average in at about 13 min. In total the micro-series is about 2 and a half hours long, equivalent to about 6 or 7 episodes of TCW.

So nothing's absolutely critical per say; it can all be enjoyed individually or as a whole.[face_peace]

11. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    By my reckoning, between Leland Chee's Posts and the obvious progression marker with Ahsoka's outfit and such, there are 28 episodes that the chronology needs to be worked out. But i see a problem with some of them...

We know that during the Holocron Heist episodes, Ahsoka's padawan beads are taken off of her head by Cad Bane. This would indicate that the episodes which feature her having all of her beads took place before the holocron heist and the episodes where she's missing them took place after the heist. Based on that, It would put the holocron heist arc pretty soon after Chee's established chronology - like 1 episode after.

However, we also see that Cad Bane's droid Todo dies in the Holocron Heist arc. Yet he is seen during the Ziro the Hutt arc. Based on the opening of that arc, we know that Ahsoka has already had her experience with Aurra sing in the "Boba's Revenge" arc and that she has already helped uncover the corruption on Mandalore - establishing that 3 arcs take place before the Ziro the Hutt arc: Boba's Revenge (3 episodes), the Mandalore Insurgency (3 episodes) and the Mandalore Corruption (2 episodes) + the Ziro the Hutt arc (4 episodes).

Thats a total of 12 episodes that take place before the Holocron Heist arc, if we're going by Todo's death in the temple. But, if we're going by Ahsoka's beads, then that whole timeline is ruined.

So basically, either Cad bane got a new Todo before the Ziro the Hutt arc or there's a major continuity error with Ahsoka's Padawan beads...can anyone explain this?

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
  13. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Gotcha, that makes much more sense now...I didn't see a source listed on the Wookieepedia article...do you know what source Anakin's rebuilding came from?

14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Pretty sure it's on the episode guide. I'll have a look and edit that in here.

EDIT: Yep, it's from the old episode guide. Here's the quote: "This episode takes place some time after "Holocron Heist," which saw the destruction of Todo 360. Todo was rebuilt off-screen by Anakin Skywalker after the episode "Children of the Force," in an attempt by the Jedi to learn more about Bane and his whereabouts. The plan goes wrong and Todo escapes. The episode immediately after this one is "Hostage Crisis.""

http://web.archive.org/web/20101129015516/http://starwars.com/theclonewars/guide/episode308.html

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    The nearest source I can see on Wookieepedia is the Cad Bane Webcomic, but i wasn't clear whether that was referring to Anakin's rebuilding or just the testing of the new recruits...I haven't read the Webcomic so I'm not sure.

07jonesj likes this.
  16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Nah, the webcomic was just introducing Bane's crew. TODO's rebuilding is just another off-screen plot point, like Aurra Sing being broken out of prison for "Hostage Crisis".

Actually, that arc has quite a few important plot points happening off-screen.

EDIT: Also, make sure you look up at my previous post. I've included the source now. :)

17. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Cool, thanks for the clarification!

07jonesj likes this.
  18. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    For the record (and the subject of this thread), this is the current timeline for this series.

22 BBY
    2.16: Cat and Mouse (7 weeks after the Battle of Geonosis)
    1.16: The Hidden Enemy
    3.01: Clone Cadets
    3.03: Supply Lines
    1.01: Ambush
    1.02: Rising Malevolence
    1.03: Shadow of Malevolence
    1.04: Destroy Malevolence
    1.05: Rookies
    1.06: Downfall of a Droid
    1.07: Duel of the Droids
    1.08: Bombad Jedi
    1.09: Cloak of Darkness
    1.10: Lair of Grievous
    1.11: Dooku Captured
    1.12: The Gungan General
    1.13: Jedi Crash
    1.14: Defenders of Peace
    1.15: Trespass
    1.17: Blue Shadow Virus
    1.18: Mystery of a Thousand Moons
    1.19: Storm Over Ryloth
    1.20: Innocents of Ryloth
    1.21: Liberty on Ryloth
    2.01: Holocron Heist
    2.02: Cargo of Doom
    2.03: Children of the Force
    2.17: Bounty Hunters
    2.18: The Zillo Beast
    2.19: The Zillo Beast Strikes Back

21 BBY
    2.04: Senate Spy
    2.05: Landing at Point Rain
    2.06: Weapons Factory
    2.07: Legacy of Terror
    2.08: Brain Invaders
    2.09: Grievous Intrigue
    2.10: The Deserter
    2.11: Lightsaber Lost
    2.20: Death Trap
    2.21: R2 Come Home
    2.22: Lethal Trackdown
    3.04: Sphere of Influence
    3.02: ARC Troopers
    2.12: The Mandalore Plot
    2.13: Voyage of Temptation
    2.14: Duchess of Mandalore
    3.05: Corruption
    3.06: The Academy
    3.07: Assassin
    3.08: Evil Plans
    1.22: Hostage Crisis
    3.09: Hunt for Ziro
    3.10: Heroes on Both Sides
    3.11: Pursuit of Peace
    2.15: Senate Murders
    3.12: Nightsisters
    3.13: Monster
    3.14: Witches of the Mist
    3.15: Overlords
    3.16: Altar of Mortis
    3.17: Ghosts of Mortis
    3.18: The Citadel
    3.19: Counterattack
    3.20: Citadel Rescue
    3.21: Padawan Lost
    3.22: Wookiee Hunt
    4.01: Water War
    4.02: Gungan Attack
    4.03: Prisoners
    4.04: Shadow Warrior
    4.05: Mercy Mission
    4.06: Nomad Droids
    4.07: Darkness on Umbara
    4.08: The General
    4.09: Plan of Dissent
    4.10: Carnage of Krell
    4.11: Kidnapped
    4.12: Slaves of the Republic
    4.13: Escape from Kadavo
    4.14: A Friend in Need
    4.15: Deception
    4.16: Friends and Enemies
    4.17: The Box
    4.18: Crisis on Naboo
    4.19: Massacre
    4.20: Bounty
    4.21: Brothers
    4.22: Revenge

20 BBY
    5.02: A War on Two Fronts
    5.03: Front Runners
    5.04: The Soft War
    5.05: Tipping Points
    5.06: The Gathering
    5.07: A Test of Strength
    5.08: Bound for Rescue
    5.09: A Necessary Bond
    5.01: Revival

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    07jonesj I had no idea that much of the time-line was official, got a source?

07jonesj likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    It's in Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded. It's got the whole timeline done by Leland Chee that he's slowly revealing and explaining in detail in his "Chronicling The Clone Wars" posts on StarWars.com.

The dates themselves (BBY) are from The Essential Reader's Companion.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
  22. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    What?! I had no idea....All this time I've been sitting here waiting for Chee's StarWars.com posts to reveal the entire timeline and feeling like its taken far too long. That's very good to here! Thanks 07jonesj!!!

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Wait, it goes all the way up through season 5 and puts Revival after A Necessary Bond...I thought we were on a path now where broadcast order was chronological. Any reason why Revival is there and not immediately following Brothers and Revenge?

24. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Hondo's base. It is intact during Onderon, destroyed in Young Jedi, and is in makeshift shambles in Revival. Revival was moved up to create a better linear flow with the Season 4 finale.

25. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Gotcha. Yea, I suppose in a chronological viewing, the closer it is to Mauldalore, the better it links with the whole "Underworld is a fertile place for Maul to flourish" line.