main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 317: Ghosts of Mortis Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 7, 2011.

1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Again, that's called trolling

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm not distorting your words... you're just confusing. :p First you say Overlords is worse than Evil Plans and Bombad Jedi, then you go on to say maybe it's just as good:

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It's hard to compare them really- i was thinking aloud "they're better.... or maybe about as good" later conclusion was my opinion- sorry about confusing you:p

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Swash has been even more confusing than normal lately. Bombad Jedi is not good but not bad...but at the same time it's very good! [face_laugh] That's why Swash is the man. [face_peace]

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah i'm totally out of my mind:p.... really we have had confusing subjects lately- Bombad Jedi is a hard case to critisize it has so much good and bad combined i cannot say what i think about it:_| But for some reason i liked watching it so i gave 8.... with fake-Jar Jar it wouldn't be so good:p

Then GGrievous asked me about Durge -he is really hard case(both of them but i mean Durge now:p ) he is ridiculous spaghettiman but still for some reason..... he don't irritate me really- CW-Grievous however is totally overpowerful, but i would still like to see him being more powerful in TCW.......

I guess i'm not making much sense.... but if even a little bit :p

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Having re-watched the ?Mortis Trilogy? I noticed a few new things about the arc. I won?t go into detail about balance, the nature of balance, what causes imbalance, etc, etc, since all those points have been discussed and I have already formulated my solid opinions about those (Balance is the harmony between Light and Dark, Imbalanced is caused by Vanity, what purpose facing ones guilt has, etc).

What is Mortis?

Mortis itself is a ?pocket dimension? within the fabric of the Force and Space itself. In this way, it is not an entirely ?another? dimension, but it rather a small ?alternate? realm within that particular region of space ? think of it like a single isolated ?bubble? on a piece of plastic (the plastic representing the ?main dimension? and the bubble the Mortis ?pocket dimension?). In this way all the Force in the universe passes through this ?pocket dimension? (a conduit) which is part of the galaxy, but at the same time separate from it. The distress call originated from ?Mortis Monolith?, escaping out of the Mortis dimension and into the main dimension where the STAR WARS mythology occurs. The shuttle on which the three main heroes are travelling is then pulled into this pocket-dimension upon exiting hyperspace, and are later returned into the main dimension once the ?vision? has been completed.

The Mortis Monolith itself is a ?container? for this pure force energy and is, in many ways, the cause of the ?pocket dimension? (think of it as a tower separated from the main galaxy below). The Father, Son and Daughter were truly once part of the main galaxy however retreated to Mortis (either before or after it was within the ?pocket dimension?) once their power grew too great. Although they do not reflect the main galaxy in any way (i.e. events on Mortis are not reflections of what is occurring in the galaxy and do not effect one another), they are never-the-less a ?reflection? of the Force in another way. They exist separate as a ?mini-Force? reflecting the main galaxy metaphorically. So the Son is not the ?Dark Side of the Force? but is rather only representative of it within Mortis as a metaphor.

The Death of the Daughter

I noticed when watching a particular line of the Father is especially important,

?As the balance in this world crumbles so shall war escalate in your galaxy. As my Son has descended into the Dark Side so have the Sith gained strength.?

This is not the Father stating that the Mortis realm, and the events which occur there, affect the outer galaxy, but rather he is making clear parrels between what is occurring on Mortis and what has occurred in the wider galaxy. In this way the Son?s actions are not giving the Sith strength, rather the Father is aligning the metaphor for the viewer ? and the heroes ? to relate to the outside galaxy.

In this way we can see his statements more clearly. Firstly, from the critical point in the outer galaxy when imbalance occurs (whenever that may be) so does war escalate; this event is metaphorically shown by the Son killing the Daughter, whilst the tree in the background is illustrating the ?crumbling? balance (a crumbling effect caused by war in the galaxy). Secondly, just as the Son descends further into the Dark Side, the further the Sith descend the more powerful they get; this decent is only allowed by growing imbalance, because the less Light the more darkness there can be (the Sith ?feed? off the growing darkness). So from the moment of imbalance, a ?crumbling? occurs, as conflict grows, Light fades, the darkness grows, gradually consuming; this is the process Anakin is meant to stop (it?s a ?run-away-train? effect).

Purpose of Bringing Anakin to Mortis

The Chosen One?s destiny, by its very nature it seems, is not specific, and as such interpretations vary depending on those comprehending the prophecy. The purpose of bringing Anakin to Mortis, per the Fathers own words, is to prevent others from exploiting their power ? implied to mean following the Father?s death. As such he interpreted the prophecy as being the prev

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    ^There is gonna be more Mortis (sigh) so too early to make any conclusions Phil....

8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Too early to make conclusions? We have been discussing this arc since it was released. Besides, I doubt much will change within the arc itself... I suspect it will be expanded upon.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    If they "delve into origins of Force wielders" looks like this metaphor thing is lost I dunno but i have a bad feeling about this... probably they just ruin this arc also for you who actually liked it....

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Why would the metaphor 'be lost'? Did you not read my post? I suspect not.

Fear mongering. I doubt this will happen... what they established in the first arc can't be undone, excluding a 'everything in the previous arc was false'. As I said it can only be expanded upon.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm not in the mood to discuss about this subject...

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Then don't. You always butt into discussions about things you utterly hate and reiterate the same rhetoric and repetitive responses. Sorry to be so rash, however this kind of annoys me, especially when I post to discuss 'Mortis' and I get the typical dismissive and anti-constructive responses from you Swash.

:rolleyes:

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Hey hey hey, easy on the rageahol Phil.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    As I said, sorry for being so rash. Just seems like Swash is posting a response for the sake of posting a response.

Sorry Swash, for what its worth. I know you didn't mean it, but it rubbed me the wrong way none-the-less.

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Okay fine- i stay out of this thread for now.... and your conclusions are same as last time so..... i'm not only one being repetitive- but this is what always happens when new eps aren't airing- we can return to Mortis-discussions when more info from continuation of it comes- but not looking forward to anything great....

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Actually I drew new conclusions. I have speculation on what exactly Mortis is, what the Daughters death symbolizes (a crumbling balance) and a new alignment for the metaphor (as far as I can remember). So, no, its not repetitive since its new information and speculation...

I also don't see why we should refrain from the Mortis episodes until new episodes air... but that's just me.

[face_peace]

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Interesting theories and observations as usual, DarthPhilosopher. I don't strongly agree or disagree with any of it, I think there are myriad valid interpretations of what we've seen so far. I can't wait to see how they expand on Mortis in season four. =P~

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    [image=http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff271/Commander_Gray/TheForce.png]

Yes, I know 'Benevolence' is spelt wrong :p

19. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/nKij0.jpg]

I still don't get it.

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
  21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    You also need to fix "angression" DP. [face_laugh] Interesting graphic, but I still fundamentally disagree that the point of Star Wars or the Force is to have a balance of "light" and "dark". The Dark Side is to be avoided at all costs, and there is no "Light Side," the goal is the have inner peace, be selfless, and try to assist the greater good. The Dark Side makes you selfish and ruins all that. Being a well balanced Force user does not mean sometimes using the Dark Side, the Dark Side makes you unbalanced.

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I recently rewatched this arc, and my conclusions have (slightly) shifted since Feb., especially after hearing GL discuss the Force on the new BD.

There's the light side (selflessness) and the dark side (selfishness). It seems to me that a kind of semi-benign selfishness is the default state in SW (cf. Han Solo), but from there you have two paths: 1) "balance" that with the light side (i.e. become a giving member of the community--again, see Han) or 2) turn to the dark side and become even more selfish and greedy in a downward spiral.

That's the thematic thrust of SW, IMHO, and it seems in keeping with the idea of "balance".

23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Aggression, an aspect of the Dark Side, is an essential part of balance and nature. You have to utilize aggression in order to survive and defend yourself, your family and your people. Aggression when balanced is an essential aspect of good.

George talks about this in this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYjdJti9ec&feature=related

In my opinion, especially given the Blu-Ray Featurette, balance means an adequate ratio (balance) between the Light and Dark. There are aspects of darkness which are essential for nature to exist and for good to exist likewise. Mortis seems to enforce this also. Adhering only to the 'Light Side' is not balance nor is adhering only to the 'Dark Side'. An adequate balance between these two aspects is what creates balance and likewise good.

24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That's the metaphor, yes. I don't disagree necessarily, but I think there's more to the story.

What I'm saying is that the light side, when combined with our natural impulses, creates balance; the dark side, on the other hand, only reinforces and corrupts those impulses, pushing us over the edge.

So the light side isn't inherently balanced, I agree, but when humans deal with the Force, the light side is our only option if we wish to stay balanced.

25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    A) What is aggression however? Is it not an aspect of the Dark Side? I would argue it is and as such it is an aspect of the Dark Side which we need to keep in balance with the Light. "Fear, anger, aggression - the dark side of the Force are they".

B) Would a human completely adherent to the Light Side of the Force even be a human at all? Consider if your nation was being invaded. The Dark Side, in balance, is essential in order to defend yourself and survive. To do nothing would be to sacrifice not only yourself but also your people. I agree that humans need to align closer to the Light (or rather be more wary of the Dark) because darkness corrupts the intelligent mind, however at the same time to disregard Dark completely makes you unable to defend yourself and fight for freedom and democracy.