main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 422: Revenge Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah, the biggest problem with this episode was that it was really just a big let-on. It didn't feel right as a season finale.

2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Sit tight, the hero has to lose to make the bad guy a threat. Obi-Wan's had a tough season, I know, but I'm rooting for him in Season 5. The fact that Yoda has faith in Obi-Wan to take Maul out gives me faith that Obi-Wan will eventually do it.

This is a very different element in Star Wars, so I get why its jarring to some of you guys. They obviously wanted to bring something unique to the the table since they have so many seasons to go. It would have been boring if it were the same battles from here on out. I'm personally intrigued by it and I'm eager to see where the story takes us next.

Thank God no one died. I was afraid Assaj would bite it. Maul and Savage just got together, so that would have been a lame build up. The sooner they kill people off, the less they can do with the development of those characters.

I think Maul is more plausible as remembering his Sith skills. Savage learning so quickly was a bit of a harder pill to swallow back in Season 3. Well, I see where you're coming from with this one. Just like I see the tough time people have with Maul coming back after getting cut in half. But we are past that origin story now and they have an opportunity to develop a compelling story with this mix of characters, Obi-wan and Ventress versus Maul and Savage. It creates an interesting thread to follow, something unique from the films.

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Well, Maul might be smarter than you give him credit for. Maybe he knew that by the time Savage found him, every force-user and their dog had already sensed his sinister return. :p

I really don't mean to be rude but... that explains a lot.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This was about the only part of this awful roll-out that they got right. Even then, they reversed the choice by having him magically restored to his former glory.

A bold, interesting narrative direction would have been to leave Maul handicapped. Exploiting his knowledge of Sidious's long term plans, and using Savage as his enforcer, he could have been a serious player in the Clone Wars even with only half a body. That could have been an important way to show that that there's more to being successful than simple martial prowess (but I guess they abandoned that path when they made Yoda an expert duelist in AOTC). Likewise, having Maul continue to struggle with mental instability would have been a much more evocative look at the consequences of the Dark Side than the "it makes you lose beauty contests" issue we see with Palpatine.

To be honest, though, I didn't seriously expect a children's show to go in this direction. But it's worth noting what might have been.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Well, you totally fail at not being rude.

Agreed, and agreed. I also wish they kept him as a deranged, partial-Gollum figure, and I'm also continually surprised at what this show is willing to do for a supposed kids' show.

6. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Then I am really sorry and apologize for my comment. I just meant that it made evident what sort of thing you found awesome, which makes it easier for me to understand your stances on certain subjects.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Consider yourself absolved. :) I appreciate you saying that, I see you didn't mean it as an insult now. [face_peace]

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Revenge was easily three times as good as Brothers... which makes it a solid 3 instead of a 1. :p

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Nah, Brothers is a definite 10, this episode is more like an 8.

10. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    Agreed!

I will admit, I did enjoy the battle sequences. I just wish atleast 2 of the people were switched out. ;)

And was this episode really supposed to be a cliffhanger??????? I didn't see it that way. Any of you Maul fans see it that way?

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes, it was a cliff-hanger. We know the story needs to be followed up but we have no idea how it will go.

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Somebody just pulled off one awesome handwave.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm actually just as interested to see how the Jedi Council will react as I am to see what Darth Maul will plan. Savage was right - since Obi-Wan escaped, the Jedi will know they survived.

14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This episode is probably going to be a 9 again. I need to watch it again once I'm in a better frame of mind. I definately saw the end as a cliff hanger and am interesting in see what happens with Maul's plans.

I have to say I dissagree with people saying Maul could just be switched out with some other lightsaber weilding villian. Who is he going to be changed out for? Dooku? I don't think we can have very many generic lightsaber weilding villians of the week, where are all these darksiders going to come out of the woodwork? It would be lame to get another monster of the week like Krell so soon or to copy him 10 different times until the end. Maul isn't just some monster of the day meant to be killed off at the end of this episode.

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't see how this meets any definition of a "cliffhanger." Yes, there were some unresolved issues, but no more than in any other episode. There is nothing acutely at stake, and no clocks are ticking. Everyone in is safe, in their own headquarters, and making their own plans. The only reason we have to tune in next time is to see the continuing adventures of the Clone Wars. That's not a cliffhanger. That's called an episode.

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    :confused:

Wait, survived as in the Jedi did not know or survived as in Obi-Wan never injured them. Didn't the Jedi already know they were alive from Brothers?

I only seen clips and I don't want to see the full episode.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm sure the latter was meant. Survived their encounter with Obi-Wan.

Wonder if Yoda will next be seen musing,"Listen to Mace I should have. Out-matched Obi-Wan was once more. Locked up tight in Temple he should forever now be - incompetent he is."

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yes Obi-wan and Ventress are fine. That Ventress has gotten alot of development from "Nightsisters" to "Revenge" gives me more hope there can be consequence in TCW. Particularly in dealing with any of these characters. Anything Ventress is easily the most advanced thread in the series. But I didn't see any magic reset button pressed. To me the magic reset button is Maul and Savage dead. To me it feels like a cliffhanger.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im glad that that the writers allowed kids to die in this show. It's sad that it happened, but it really brought a sense of realism (kids can die in war time). It also showed how much of a Monster Maul really is (not that he wasn't before). It was also a nice ROTS nod. What made it worse is that, the kids were HUMAN. It's different then killing aliens. Sure it would still be horrible for Maul to kill alien kids, however....them being human....makes it even worse since its more of a connection to the real world.

Also did Ventress lose a lightsaber? She never used both in the duel, because she lent one to Obiwan. But the one she was using got knocked behind some boxes, and then she got her other lightsaber from Obiwan when he retrieved his from Maul. However we the audience never saw her retrieve her lost lightsaber. And from what i can remember, she escaped with Obiwan with just one lightsaber.

An iconic part of Ventress, is her having duel curved red blades.

Of course maybe it was just a goof by the writers in not showing us her having both blades at the end.

Of course if it was intentional for the writers to have her lose a blade. Perhaps she can get it back if she duels Maul or Savage again (perhaps one of them kept it as a prize). Of course there is a possibility that the lightsaber behind the boxes went out into space when the airlock came off.

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes, that's right.

It's a cliff-hanger because we know for a fact there's going to be a follow-up, so there's suspense as to what the follow-up will be.

21. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Since there's no '27' option here, I'll have to vote a measly 10. Sigh... :p

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Well, we already know Obi-Wan will survive regardless moving forward.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Oh I think TCW could find a way to kill him. The Sith could kill him, grow a clone, get Talzin to program the clone and infitrate the Jedi Order with that clone. Obi-Clone wouldn't even know he wasn't the real Kenobi and in the series finale the Force ghost of the real Obi-Wan could return and enter the clone's body - thus returning him to life, but at a high cost.

Overtaking the clone body would cost Obi-Wan his short term memory, so he wouldn'd remember that he already learned how to Force Ghost later when Yoda talks to him about Qui-Gon.

[face_flag] If they do this I'm totally taking credit.[face_flag]

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I have to admit at times it just feels like TCW whips out brutal violence for the sake of shock value. This time Maul slaughtering a whole village mostly off screen including kids moved the plot of the episode. TCW amazes me with how far it can go. They've gone from putting kids in serious danger to killing little alien kids to killing teen girls to killing preteen girls and now this. All in a show on CN that still carries the PG rating. Toonami never would of aired that stuff. If I recall correctly it was the seen homaged in "Revenge" that was one of the things (along with Anakin burning alive) that got ROTS a PG-13 rating.

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Seerow: Ratings are overrated. But at least that whole discussion of TCW cannot kill of Ahsoka due to her age is now gone. ;)

heh, I can see them doing that. :p Even though they "killed" Obi-Wan once in TCW and he was said to be dead after the Battle of Jabiim, Obi-Four will appear soon in TCW. I don't think the original Obi-Wan survived past his Knight years.