main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Theatrical Movie: REACTIONS Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    "Judging by the Obi-Wan vs. Grievous scene in ROTS, that seems like the first time they fight one another"

Obi-Wan does say, "Not this time, and this time you want escape." to Grevious, so I'm pretty sure they had met before then. I agree about Anakin though. Hopefully George will remember that bit and not have Anakin meet Grevious in the series.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    In that case, I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan was referring to Grievous' many run-ins with the Jedi where he was victorious or escaped. I definitely get the impression on Utapau that it was the first time they had faced each other in combat. All that "you fool, I was trained by Count Dooku" stuff he was talking about.

3. Obi-Mcfly

May 15, 2008
    Well, you could certainly take it that way, I always took it that they had met multiple times during the course of the war, and Grevious had constantly gotten away. Granted Utapua could have been the first time they actually "fought" one-on-one, but I don't think so.

4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Well I thought Obi-Wan was referring to the duel on-board the Invisible Hand...and there Grievous escaped Obi-Wan and Anakin.

5. Obi-Mcfly

May 15, 2008
    Well, when Obi-Wan said it he was actually on the Invisible Hand, not Utapau, so I thoight he was refering to previous encounters.

6. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I got the impression they were meeting for the first time and I think that was the way it was intended. Taking just the Invisible Hand scene there is an argument to be made that it is possible they had met before - despite Grevious tone when he refers to Obi-wan as the "negotiator" as if meeting him for the first time. But when you watch the Utapau duel stuff the argument becomes much harder to make. The way it is acted is def. first time meeting between these two. And also, just the way the council talks about it and the way Palpy does too when speaking about their decision to send Obi-wan instead of Anakin. Also, why wouldn't Anakin think Obi-wan has either a) fought him before so it makes sense to send him or B) fought him before and didn't beat him so why not send me this time?

7. Obi-Mcfly

May 15, 2008
    Well like I said, Utapau might have been their first duel, but not the first time they met or faced each other, as in they were opposing generals during battles, but they never fought one-on-one. Honestly, from the way they talk, they kinda seemed like rivals.

8. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    I disagree with the idea that Grievous and Obi-Wan could not have met before ROTS. There's really nothing in the movie to say that they haven't and 'reading their subtleties' is an inference, at best. However, that's not to say that there isn't validity to saying they hadn't met based on his line of "You fool! I was trained..." on Utapau. *shrug*

If Anakin meets him in the series, though, it's the moment I will stop watching.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    technically, they "encountered" each other on Salucami (sp?) in that one comic. they were on the same battlefield, but didn't fight each other...

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think this is right.

"Ah, the Negotiator!" (after all this time)

Without a doubt, ROTS is the first time they match sabers. [face_cowboy] Otherwise the entire dialogue between them doesn't make sense.

11. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    True dat, Garth. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do an encounter with him the way the series is progressing. Kit Fisto is already scheduled to face him in one of the early episodes.

Wonder why they didn't do more of a slow build-up to him. Make him more of a Phantom Menace type at first, like anyone who has encountered Grevious hasn't survived. What is Grevious? The clones could be like "I heard he's a machine?" "Well, I heard he's a monster they dug up in a cave." "I heard he's the Sith Lord everyone is looking for."

Anyway, just don't be too shocked if they make Grevious and Obi-wan meet up, or even Anakin -- as lame as either of those would be. They have a lot of episodes to get through and there's only so much story. I mean, they are three of the main characters.

Personally, I think it would be cool if they had a series of close encounters on the ground and a series of space battles so that when they finally meet in person in ROTS it is that much cooler. Like, this has been a long time coming!

12. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I really need to check ROTS again for dialogue particulars, but IIRC there's nothing there that definitively demarcates it as the first meeting of Obi and Anakin. If anything, his obvious reaction to meeting Ani for the first time strongly suggests the opposite. I certainly wouldn't object to seeing an Obi-Grievous confrontation in CW.

Anakin vs Grievous would be a more glaring error, but as long as they're minding their p's and q's, they shouldn't go there. The close of AOTC and first half of ROTS are pretty much the Bible of the development team i would think.

13. Obi-Mcfly

May 15, 2008
    I think they want to have Grevious appear earlier simply because fans want to see him. One of the main reasons I want to watch this show so badly is to really see Grevious in action. I know my friends really liked watching the action scenes with Grevious in the Genndy series. Plus, aside from the Genndy series, he haven't seen much of Grevious. He was introduced in ROTS and killed halfway through it. I'm really amped to see him in action, see why he was so important to the war.

Honestly, I'd like to see him and Obi-Wan meet up at least once or twice, but I will be ticked if Anakin meets him. Maybe Obi-Wan and Grevious can square-off while Anakin and Ashoka are off on a mission. I liked your idea of them getting close to meeting, but never actually getting there. That would be pretty sweet. Dave seems to be trying to kepe the series in continuity, so if they meet, it will proabably me George's decision.

14. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Got out of work early for labor day and caught a matinee showing.

Really enjoyed the film! I think a problem a lot of people have is that they group this with episodes 1-6, going so far as to rank it among them. I really don't think this is fair. Compared to the saga films, Clone Wars can't compare. But compared to every feature length non-saga film, Clone wars is king. Easily beats the Ewok films, Holiday Special, editied Droids/Ewoks dvd movies.

The film threw so much at you in terms of aliens, vehicles and characters and yet having seen the 6 films it all felt so natural. I loved a lot of little moments; the hologram medical droid, Ventress's droid saying "Don't you dare", aliens making out at Ziro's club, Jawa humor.

I have so many more great things to say! But have to be going. I give The Clone Wars 4/5 womp rats

15. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Why do people say "Grevious"? It's "Grievous"!

16. aswf

aswf Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2008
    It was awesome on the bigscreen :D-then again, I'm game for any new SW material.

Ahsoka was an interesting concept, but a puzzling move. It was fun seeing Anakin echo Obi-Wan here and there trying to keep her in check-but shifting the focus from the legendary Kenobi-Skywalker team to Skywalker-Tano made little sense.

Padme was a good use of character. Resourceful, independent, intelligent-much better than the ROTS characterisation

The lightsaber duels were VERY fast-paced and dazzling, but the breaks in-between were *urgh!!*

I personally appreciate the original voices for Dooku, 3-PO and Mace :D

forgot to mention: i never really cared much for the clones after Order 66, but this time their growing humanity made me a fan. Especially when their backgrounds are considered...Rex was a very cool, very brave leader :)

Awesome. really awesome. The effects, battles, humor...awesome!!

a tiny gripe from a Kenobi fanatic: please, that all-too-obvious stalling for time was waay below you!!

17. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    Outside the droids (All of them were hilarious) and Dooku/Anakin duel (Liked how it showed a little of Anakin's progression), didn't like it really. No life in the eyes, especially compared to the other version. Yoda being so tiny though was incredibly awesome.

18. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I understand they are saving him more for the show, but the movie probably would have gone over even better with kids if General Grievous had been in it. As i'm spending more time looking at SW toys in stores, i see kids repeatedly coming up and looking for that character specifically.

19. DakeKast

DakeKast Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2008
    What did everyone think of Ziro the Hutt?

I thought he was fun villain!

Did anyone have a hard time explaining to their kids that Jabba's uncle is supposed to be a transvestite though?!

20. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Ziro I could have done without. Why couldn't Joe Pesci be the voice?

21. Obi-Mcfly

May 15, 2008
    First time I saw it, Ziro really took me out of the movie and I was just like "...What?...". Second time though, I just laughed at him the whole time. He's definitley a horrible character and way worse than Jar-Jar, but he's so bad and ridiculous that I can't help but laugh at him now. Thanks to the Force-Cast guys for that.

22. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    Is there anyone here who legitimately disliked the movie? Everyone I've talked to in real life who's seen it absolutely despises it. Myself, I think that the animation in the trailers was absolutely awful, and the reviews have given me little to no insentive to watch it. I've heard that Ziro is worse than Jar Jar Binks, and Ashoka constantly gets compared to Hanna Montana. I loved Genndy Tartakovsky's original Clone Wars shorts, but in all the clips I've watched for the movie and TV series, I can't say I've seen any of the brilliance that Tartakovsky brought to his cartoons.

I may be slightly biased against the show for being too kiddy, but from all I've seen and heard it just plain looks hollow and void of real Star Wars spirit. When I see people actually renouncing their Star Wars fandom after seeing the movie, it doesn't really give me any incentive to go out and watch it, so I don't think I will. I might catch an episode or two of the cartoon when it's on TV, but my expectations for it are abysmally low at this point. I do not want to walk into a theater loving Star Wars, and walk out hating it.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, I've heard people renouncing their fandom after ROTJ, the Special Editions, TPM, AOTC, so I'm not surprised people are continuing to give up their love of SW.

I would think if the trailers don't excite you, then you probably won't like the film. You could always watch it on DVD, or watch the televised series and decide for yourself.

I have many friends who simply aren't interested in animated films/shows, and so they aren't really geared up for the shows. I also have friends who love the films, but never read any SW novels, comics, et cetera.

24. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003

Ziro was freakin' hilarious! My favorite moment of his has to be when he says, "Run for it!", then proceeds to "flee" at about 2 miles an hour.[face_laugh]

25. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Indeed, Garth Maul. Star Wars fans can be a fickle bunch.

So, I wouldn't put too much stock in folks renouncing Star Wars, timstuff.

I say go see it. Then you can judge for yourself. If you come out hating Star Wars, let me venture to say you'd be overreacting...even if you find the movie repulsive.

As for my opinion on the points you mentioned:

Ziro wasn't that bad for me. He's not nearly as involved in the film as Jar-Jar is in TPM. And his character, though eccentric, I found kind of amusing. He adds color, no doubt. He's different than Jar-Jar.(Of course, I never hated Jar-Jar.)

Ahsoka being like Hannah Montanna, I'm not sure what to make of. She obviously doesn't sing, nor does she have a southern accent. Jackson is nowhere to be found, and not once does she say "sweet niblets." But in all seriousness, I get that they are both 'spunky' young females. But beyond that, I really don't see it. My guess is that the folks who made the comparison just didn't like Ahsoka, and likened her to another character they found annoying simply because of the annoying quality.

As for the Tartakovski connection. I guess it just depends on what parts of the 2D show you liked. Personally, I loved the 2D show, and I loved the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.