main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm so shocked that the studios are doing that!

EviL_eLF likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sorry, but the only movies I've seen mentioned that deserves to be mentioned alongside Star Wars is The Avengers 2 and maybe Avatar 2. None of the others are competition.

Avatar doesn't seem like a film that should get a sequel to me, but I think perhaps many others disagree.

I like Jurassic Park, but after Lost World and JP3 the franchise just isn't on that level anymore. It'd have to be unanimously super amazingly awesome (which I highly doubt) to even come close to what Ep VII will do.

Independence Day? Are you kidding me? Look, I like "welcome to erf" as much as the next guy, but how the hell do you make a sequel? Everyone will ask that question, and that's enough to put people off.

Pirates of the Caribbean? Mission Impossible? Those are still being made?

Also, I'm a huge Arnold fan, but nothing he does is a big deal anymore, this isn't the 80s.

It's not that these other movies can't do good numbers and make a lot of money, it's just that they can't compete with Ep VII.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved Avatar but its story was wrapped up in the first one.

Another one I saw mentioned that doesn't need a sequel: Kung Fu Panda. I saw the first two, they weren't bad--not great, but not bad. I can't think of what the hell they'll do with a third one.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Kung Fu panda is a six movie series

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Damn. News to me.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay so I'm seeing everywhere that Terminator 5 is now supposed to be somekind of reboot. I think I'll pass on it. [face_sick]

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Kung Fu Panda Saga

8. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    not looking to burst bubbles here but Ep VII is NOT a guaranteed success.

Regardless of what one thinks of the prequels, and I'm no basher (or gusher) of them, it is easy pickings these days to make fun of them.

It isn't cool to like Star Wars anymore and I say this with a post count of probably over 50,000 all told.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh, that just means people will spend money to see it, probably several times, and then trash it later.

People have always picked on Star Wars; I was around in the OT days and remember it.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    true.

I suppose what I meant was by success was in line with what you were saying, it will make money, but probably will be trashed, which would be very unfortunate if it turned out good.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Reboot has become a buzz word tossed around so early on that it's impossible to know what exactly a movie is anymore. Hell, I've seen Ep. 7 written up as a "reboot" and it's clearly a freakin' sequel! It's called Episode 7!

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I was using that as an example to illustrate the fact that because a scientists believes something doesn't mean it isn't outlandishly ridiculous and far-fetched- the ol' "Some scientists say_____" isn't always meaningful. Highly educated, licensed physician says-"HIV doesn't cause AIDS." Highly educated, credentialed scientists says- "The earth is 6000 years old." Get the connection?

Except in that field, "quack" is the norm rather than the exception ;)

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    never mind

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    For example, I've seen some bashers claim that the lava only damaged Vader's back and the rest of his injuries are from falling into a reactor and that the ROTS Mustafar injury scenes are an example of GL revisionism.

Lee_ likes this.
  15. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

What reactor?

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Is this really a suitable thread for this discussion?

Personally I loved Kung Fu Panda 2. It's not a classic by any means but virtually everything about it appealed to me. So I'm quite looking forward to the third one. Having said that there could always be the possibility it will end up like Shrek the Third... [face_sick]

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah I know but this seems to be an actual reboot. They called it such in the press release and it is also said to be the start of a stand alone trilogy.

18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Sounds like an attempt to distance any new movies from the planned Salvation trilogy more than anything else. If this is the same movie that Arnie has said he'll be involved in then I'm sure it will be more in line with the first three movies rather than a completely stand alone effort.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's still too early to tell I guess but everywhere I've read describes it as a stand alone trilogy with little to no ties with the previous films. The fact that Arnold is still involved in it gives me absolutely no faith in the project. If you're going to reboot the franchise go all the way. It seems to me that they want to tell their own story but are too afraid to cut all ties to the other films.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A reactor that would be seen in PT: Basher Edition, just like Mustafar was seen in ROTS.

21. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    The sequels for Avatar and Independance Day are actually the same movie. Will Smith leads a one man invasion of Avatar-land in retrobution for the july 4th invasion of Earth... and to steal all their cantretrieveit-o-nium.

I keep hearing the new Star Wars is a reboot as well.:(
    (edit: Oh I see that point has been thoughoughly hashed)

CT-867-5309 and darklordoftech like this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah I know. In my post above though I said that it was the press release from Paramount that described it as a reboot and stand alone trilogy. Nothing from LFL has described the ST as such.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The Tragedy of Jack Black

24. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Well Comic-Con happened, and now the two biggest movies Star Wars would probably face off against are:

• Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
    • Man of Steel 2: World's Finest with Superman & Batman
    Thoughts anyone?

25. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think they should release all the Franchises on the same week and see who lands on top! Finally settling the age long discussion of which Franchise is best!

spicer and ScorpionJedi like this.