main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The DC thread, if you ask me.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    52 begins today.

After Infinite Crisis, all DC books moved forward by one year. During that year, Superman had no powers, Batman and his wards were traveling the world in search of further training and time together as a family, and Wonder Woman? we have no idea as of yet. Though the DCU is without its ?Big Three?, it isn?t without heroes, and 52 covers this period one week at a time. 52 takes place in real time ? an issue a week, each issue taking place one week after the previous issue.

I can?t wait. :D

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I believe the expression I'm looking for is, "lock and load!"

3. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

52.1: Good start, not a great start. The main characters are laid out: Steel, Montoya, Booster Gold, Black Adam, The Question and Ralph Dibny. They seem to have various issues: Steel is concerned about his niece dying like Superboy, and seems to understand on some level that he and the other heroes are going to have to step it up this year. Booster Gold is concerned with winning fame and fortune. Black Adam is looking to correct his mistakes, but should in no way be mistaken for a good guy: he has a strong moral code that doesn?t match up with that of the traditional heroes. Ralph is suicidal. Montoya is near rock bottom ? she?s going to have to start coming back up soon. And the Question is oddly interested in Montoya.

Good start, though this method of storytelling in a comic might wear thin. It's going to be like a long running television series, if this issue is any indication. Resolution will often be a long time in coming in one way (having to wait 12 issues for something to be resolved won't be uncommon I think), but it'll be fast in another (having to wait only three months for something to resolved is fast for comics). Even the plots that last through the year are probably going to be bearable to comic readers who are used to waiting years in television shows and up to a year in comics for the arc to finish.

I give 52.1 a solid 8/10. Good read, and I'll be continuing onwards.

Early predictions:
    Montoya becomes the new Batwoman. Either Ralph Dibny or Steel or the Question will die. We'll see the conception of Helina Kyle (tastefully) within about three months time in 52.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that Steel, Elongated Man and the Question will all live. Too much good going on there. Depending on how long Brad Metzler lasts on JLA, we could see Ralph become a member once 52 ends. 52 might be what gives Steel and the Question a new monthly series. I don't think Montoya is going to be Batwoman. The skin tones don't match, unless Renee puts on makeup as well as a wig.

Here's hoping that John Henry Irons gets to continue beyond 52.

5. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Spoilers start here...

In one panel, Steel says that "some guy with a bow" saved this person he's carrying... then, the guy "got dusted", then asks if anyone has seen Green Arrow... I know Green Arrow survives cuz he's in "One Year Later", and later in 52, he's standing beside Green Arrow 2 (Connor Hawke)... Is Arsenal accounted for? Could the guy who "got dusted" be Roy, or could it have just been GA and he escaped or something?

6. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    I thought the first issue was pretty good and posed some interesting questions.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

There are other Archers, with another set to debut in 52. Roy, I think is still alive.

8. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    I hope you're right, sinister... but if they did kill him off though, they better not have done it in the background... :(

9. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I can't really see Roy being killed off in the background. It's possible, but I just don't see it.

10. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Week 2 was an improvement over week 1 in a lot of respects. While I missed seeing Black Adam and Steel, it was nice to see the plots for Booster, Montoya, the Question and Ralph shaping up. The mad scientist plotline is kind of interesting, but I don't know if it'll hold my attention. I figure that it's an attempt to make tier-3 villains into tier-2 villains. And Booster was at least not a complete jerk this time around.

The History of the DCU thing in the back that's started isn't drawing me in a whole lot. I'll give it time, but right now, I'm hoping that the rest of the backup stories are better.

Line of the week: "I've got a new job. It's called being a drunk."

2 weeks down, 50 weeks to go!

11. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I really really REALLY hope that they don't bring back Sue Dibny. It would completly invalidate what was one of the most powerful single issues I have ever read in Identity Crisis #1. Otherwise though I'm really digging 52 now, all of the plotlines are keeping my interest. I missed Black Adam and Steel as well, but it appears their roles will be expanded next week, so all's well. So far I'd call 52 a success.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They are not bringing back Sue. This is part of what is going to get Ralph out of his funk and back into his groove. I expect by the end of 52, Ralph will be able to function again. He'll be able to cope having a life without Sue.

13. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    One can only hope...

14. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Agreed. The mystery at this point is who it was that defaced Sue's grave. This is a perfect means-motive-opportunity kind of mystery to show off Ralph?s skills. For example, Wonder Girl has the means (she would know what the symbol means), and maybe opportunity, but no motive. Luthor might have means (he might know), he might have motive (to screw with the heroes, just ?cause - flimsy), and might have opportunity. Too much maybe in my opinion.

So, a mystery.

Interestingly enough, three of the main characters in 52 are detectives (Ralph, Montoya and the Question).

And finally, something random that occurred to me: 52 might have the most mainstream and explicit show of lesbianism ever to appear in any Big Two comic, with Montoya in bed with the random girl. Montoya has been lesbian for a while, there have been gay characters in X-Men, Manhunter, etc, but I can?t remember seeing two gay people in bed in such a big event. No mention of it that I can see ? taken for granted by most readers apparently. Ten years ago, I think that it would have been a huge deal, but today it passes (almost) unnoticed. Times, they are a changing.

15. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I was hoping for that exact sort of thing myself, but I am just nervous that they just might try the sort of thing I was concerned about.

16. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    Conner being back would be okay, but not Sue... She needs to stay dead... not everyone can or should be brought back to life...

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

You don't need spoiler tags after Friday. International readers should have them by then most weeks...

Anyhow, I hope that neither Conner nor Sue returns. Nothing against either, I just don't like seeing the dead return.

18. GavinStrife

Sep 15, 2005
    Oh...okay...

So yeah, I know neither should show up again, but GA was dead for a while and now he's back in action doing good... I think, if Robin does manage to resurect Connor, he shouldn't be the same... maybe a little twisted and evil, hehehe...

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Superman group editor Matt Idelson said that there aren't plans to bring back Conner, because it would undermine his death. Jeph Loeb pretty much confirmed this, when discussing issue 26 of Superman/Batman, which is the tribute to Jeph's son Sam. Sam Loeb passed away last year from cancer, after a three year battle. Sam had been working on a Superboy/Robin story, when he passed on. Jeph and 26 creative minds gathered to complete the story, with money going to a fund for Sam Loeb's cancer research. Jeph and the others worked the story to take place after Infinite Crisis, with Robin having to deal with the death of Superboy. We get a flashback to one of their last team-ups, before IC.

Sue dying is something that was done to put Ralph in a new situation, to set off Identity Crisis and ultimately, what happened in Infinite Crisis. Though a number of fans would like her back, as well as the whole story forgotten, it ain't going to happen. Death has to mean something and that's what we get.

Yes, good observation that 52 has three detectives. However, as we know, they each have their own thing going on. Question wants to know what happened to everything, due to the recent Crisis. Montoya needs to get out of her funk. Ralph needs to do that and find out who would do such a horrible thing. I don't see Lex having done it. He doesn't like the heroes, but he has respect for the dead. To a degree. Ralph has a lot of people that he has taken down over the years. A lot of enemies from his JLA and solo career. I wouldn't be surprised if we have Dr. Light and Jean Loring as suspects for a while.

20. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Second issue was pretty good far better then the first one. I guess the entire upside down Superman sign will turn into the current OYL Supergirl storyarc.

I haven't posted about issue 1 but has anyone noticed Nightwing was standing amongst the heroes? Even though he was supposed to be on a world trip along with Bruce and Tim :\

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    On Newsarama they had an interview and one of the guys working on it said there was a very specific reason that Nightwing was there, I'm guessing it was Jason.

22. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Week Two was quite enjoyable. Hopefully it will just keep getting better and better.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, odds are it's Jason Todd dressed as Nightwing.

24. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wouldn't it be obvious by other people due to his voice? Mind you this is comics and logic doesn't apply very often. :p

25. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Week 3 is out.
    Nice to see they followed up with Alex's body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.