main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The defiance thread: What EU will you still be buying and why?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Nov 3, 2012.

1. The Corellian

The Corellian Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    I guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. Buying the stuff that interests me.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Right...if you are not a huge fan of the books, the library should definitely be scouted first before the stores.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  3. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I will continue to get the novels and comics until the ST...while they continue as a single continuity. My decision on what to buy will be based on a decision at some point on whether the EU is no longer a single continuity

KamSolusar and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Is it canon, though?

:p

I'll probably buy AotE, definitely Kenobi, definitely the Characters guide, and Scoundrels. Might buy DotJ, idk.

5. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Crucible, SOTJ, and Scoundrels. Also whenever/if the Paul S. Demp duology comes out

6. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    I guess one plus side would be no longer needing to buy an entire set :p

Example-

Me: "Oh look mandos!!! I like them! I'll buy KOTOR vol 10!!!"
    Friend: "You don't have vol1-8..."
    Me: "Doesn't matter these stories never happened!!! I just want to see Mandos shoot stuff and cool ships blow stuff up!!"

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  8. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Defiance? How would buying Del Ray be in defiance? Buying DH to support them would be in defiance. The thought horrifies me, because I am really excited about the omnibus program and I will be heartbroken if these current long arcs are not given appropriate closure.

9. May the Horse be with you

May the Horse be with you Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with this but isn't is a sad day that so many fans might give up on a major part of their life: following the EU, because of something which you would have thought would have filled us with joy! But for now, I'll echo an earlier post "keep calm and carry on".

10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I know all the news site thought we would be soooooooooo happy.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    More defiance in the sense of getting away from the doom 'n' gloom of: OH NOEESS! SW IS &^%$£ED! Nothing more than that.

12. May the Horse be with you

May the Horse be with you Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Unfortunately, if any post-ROTJ movies ignore large portions of the EU, the EU is @@&!ed. How can the EU survive if the Skywalker and Solo children, for example, are retconned out of existence? It can as a tool for making fans spend money, but not as a consistent universe worth spending time on. Sorry for the doom and gloom- I am excited too, just a little bit apprehensive.

13. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The Disney deal isn't the thing that has me rethinking how I collect SW. Hurricane Sandy has me rethinking how I collect Star Wars.

I'm rethinking how many trades I need to pick up per year by Dark Horse. I tend to pick up all of them. I'm looking forward to Wood's Star Wars and the DOTJ: Prisoner of Bogan. I just don't expect to keep them my whole life. Some storm is going to come along to my coastal city and flood my place at some point and that will be that. My 125+ trades and my essential guides will be floating beside my espresso machine someday. So with Sandy I have a new way of looking at digital. I'm too pragmatic to be a snob.

As for the novels, I used to buy those things in hardcover. I stopped doing that when I got a proper ereader. And now I'm actually finding I actually get more mileage out of the audiobooks. And as they're not made of paper, they won't drown in the upcoming storm of 20??.

On the odd chance that my TPB collection survives a few years, my DH material won't ever intermingle with any Star Wars/Disney material. It just wouldn't be right.

Zorrixor and cthugha like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but there's plenty of other threads for us to be apprehensive in!

15. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I'm still planning to buy the same books and comics (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Scoundrels, Essential Guide to Characters and several TPBs). I will skip purchasing Crucible and SotJ. This has nothing to do with the recent movie news and everything to do with not liking Denning or Golden. While I enjoyed Crosscurrent and Riptide, I'm undecided about Kemp's mysterious duology until we get more info. I will continue to make future purchasing decisions based on authors, characters and eras.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm told the Goodwin-Williamson run, out of print for years, is available digitally! That you ought to get!

17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I haven't bought a SW book since the NJO, and I haven't read a non-digital comic since Tales of the Jedi. I've read almost all of them, though (skipping some parts of LotF and FotJ), mostly through the library or on loan from friends.

Now, though... I'm totally going to buy Kenobi, as long as they keep the preview art as a cover. And if the Kemp duology ever comes, that's a likely candidate, too; actually if it's a follow-up to Crosscurrent and Riptide, I'm thinking of getting these two as well so I have a complete Kemp collection.

For what's to come... if they do a reboot or anything, I guess I'll wait and see for a few years until the new EU has consolidated a little... and if it looks exciting then, I'll dig back in. (Did the same thing with the PT EU and basically everything since the NJO.)

If on the other hand they actually manage to integrate the movies more-or-less plausibly into the existing EU, then that might actually be enough to get me back into buying everything I find (and can afford), the way I used to do pre-TPM.

18. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Last time I moved I packed all my books into those plastic tubs you can buy at department stores. I never spent time unpacking them. I figure that would at least preserve them in a flood that's not too bad even if I put them in the basement.

19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Me too. They've helped me get through what I suspect would have otherwise been some mind-numbingly dull reads.

Bugs me that they don't do them for all the non-Big3 stories. (And totally surprised me that they didn't do Choices of One.)

20. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The Bane books came out last week which I picked up. I read somewhere that they're doing Allegiance next based on a fan vote between Death Star, KE and Allegiance. Allegiance won. Which works out as it has a sequel.