main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End is Near - (IT IS TIME!!!)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Probably not. That would be something we mods would have to discuss. However I'd be against it as I've seen some horrible icons on other boards, especially animated ones.

2. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    If i discuss it with a mod first can i do it?

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    You just did discuss it with a mod. :p

Custom icons are more of a policy issue than a technical one. I wouldn't expect the move in and of itself to affect things like that.

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Please, no! There's been a decade of work that's gone on to create the current 78000 icons.o_O

5. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    If I remember right, it's both.
    Technical, because when you start getting people uploading files, including animated gifs, file space becomes an issue.

Policy, because people like it this way. There's over seven thousand eight hundred icons. That's way way more than any other board that doesn't allow people to upload unique icons (the SWTOR boards have less than 50 last time I checked). You can request icons. More icons are added each week. And if you did allow users to upload their own icons, there would be no way to prevent people uploading vulgar images on what is meant to be a PG-13 board. Plus the star wars images add a nice community touch to a forum that brought people together through a single interest.

Sorry for getting off topic. I should add I'm looking forward to faster loading times on the new boards. There are some huge forums on XF, and they load in my browser in less than a second. It'll be nice to be finally rid of these very broken boards.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Will we know when the last day on these boards is? Would be a shame to let it pass unmarked.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It looks like Rebel Scum lets people use their own icons. If so can we do it here?

Edit: Now that I actually look at it and register it looks like someone might have just had a moderator buddy that did it for them. Unless you have to reach a certain level of membership to do it.

Edit 2: Actually you can...

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I discussed this with Grimby when the move was first announced. We will not be changing the icons policy at this time. If there's a Star Wars (or LFL or etc.) icon that you want and we don't have, just request it in the icons thread. Someone will make it for you, it'll be added to the next voting round with a request tag, and there's about a 99 percent change it'll be uploaded. It's very easy to get something you want.

As I said in the icons thread (I checked there first), I have the links for all the icons that have been posted, though I'm going to ask that no one post new ones before the move.

If you guys do have any icons questions, feel free to PM me or pop into the icons thread (your questions will get answered more quickly than if you poist them in here).

9. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    This place is more about the people than Star Wars now a days. Might be time to think about revisiting the policy since we would have the option. /shrug

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Not that it hasn't already been discussed to death, but I agree with Rox. I know you seem to think it's easy to get an icon uploaded, but that's because you're the main icon person and the majority of the users you interact with are....icon people. It's the same people voting on the same icons that they themselves are making, and it's really not easy to get one in. I think I've tried about 3 times, and never gotten a single one in - same for others that I know. In fact I distinctly recall one time I made an icon, and someone later on made a crappier pixelated version of the same icon, and that got in but mine was rejected. It's just icons on a forum, so I guess I don't really care, but...I wouldn't say that the current system works or is fair to the majority of users. If there were to be a change made, I'd suggest still keeping some kind of strict regulations on the icons but at least letting people choose what they want. Like, restricted sizes and no animated crap.

Also there's the point that mostly just forums in the 90s had you choose from premade icons. I haven't seen a forum in forever that didn't let you choose/make your own.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Having the ability to upload/have your own icon would be a welcomed & fresh change.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I would also agree with this. It doesn't appear to be an issue on Rebelscum or other boards I've frequented. Certainly not a dire matter, but definitely worth re-evaluating at some point.

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    ¡Viva la Revolución!

14. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Well you're sure starting April Fools early this year...

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    We can definitely discuss the icons policy after the move is complete, guys. As with a lot of other features that will suddenly be available once the new boards are live, we're going to need to discuss making changes to the existing policies. I don't have any problem with starting those discussions once we're on the new boards. For now though, let's just focus on getting there.

16. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Who am I kidding...even if I could change to my own I've been using this icon for more than 10 years. I probably wouldn't change. But the option would be nice for special occasions.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I would vote for the icons system to stay like it is (not that it's up to an actual vote). I agree that some forums look ugly with lots of large or animated avatars / icons (I guess restrictions on size and animated gif's could be put in place, but still)... it looks cleaner here with smaller, uniform sizes. And there's nothing wrong with a very loose SW theme rule for content like we've got in place now, IMO.

Oh, and =D= on the move happening soon.

18. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, prolly a stupid question but...what's the new address for the forums? I don't want to get left behind.

19. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    As far as I know, it's supposed to stay the same. But to be sure, stay tuned on facebook and/or twitter. :)

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    It'll be the same, boards.theforce.net That will also be the address for the temp boards, once they're up and running.

21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, thanks guys!

22. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    Good luck Team.

23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Today is Groundhog Day. It would be lovely for this move to happen today, so that we can relive it over and over again.[face_hypnotized] Butttt, to bring luck to all concerned with it, here is a [face_good_luck]

24. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Will the icon sizes stay the same?

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure they will, at least in the beginning. Xenforo is a new board system for most of us so it will be a learning curve. Prior to this we thought we'd be going with VBulletin and that's what was used for our test boards. So please bear with us if things aren't 'just right' at the beginning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.