main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Essential Guide to OC's: The Mini Challenge Revival - Prompt the Fourth!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Speaking of which Thumper, only 2 votes so far, and all votes must be in by 11:59 tomorrow nite!

So we're all clear, when discussing 1st versus 3rd person POV, does anyone who has written 1st person feel it's easier when using an OC?

2. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
  3. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Wow! That's an honor!

And congrats to you other three! These really were a great bunch of stories to read. That prompt made for excellent plots.

4. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    Woohoo four way tie! That way, no one gets the old blue ribbon for 'Honorable Mention' ;)

And what will the next prompt be?!

5. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Oops! Mine wasn't supposed to be a challenge entry! :oops:

6. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    New Topic/Game: One Paragraph Exercises *

A good writer can say a lot without saying much at all. Dust off your OCs and get ready to give them a work out. You have one paragraph (approx. six to eight sentences--let's not be Dickensian ;)) to put one or more of your OCs in the situation that I'm going to fling at you like a caged monkey on a fiber diet with an attitude problem.

[face_skull] "oqidaun's Freak Your OC Out Box of Horrors" [face_skull]

Destructions:
    Grab one of your OCs--if he/she/it has his/her/its own story go ahead and toss us a link (pimp your fic! you deserve it!)

After you've grabbed your OC, imagine that you're going to stuff him into a box of horrors. What's a box of horrors you ask? (you may want to refrain from asking out loud as it sounds pretty obvious ;) and might get you grounded and/or arrested ).
    A box of horrors is a box that not only is someone stuffed into, but also it's filled with all sorts of things to freak that person out.

Sound like fun?

Put up to five things in the box and tell us why each item would be adequate to freak your OC out.

This is my annual tribute to my former Master on the boards who no longer posts here; OC Queen: oqidaun! Although I had intended to come up with my own prompts, RL ran away with me, so the oldbies will see where I blatantly stole oqidaun?s ideas?

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    The following paragraph is for a coming chapter of my big fic Tetrahedron

My OC is Jedi healer Jadin Finn and he has been summoned to an emergency somewhere[face_devil]

?What did I do to deserve this? Who made this floating rollercoaster purple crocodragon mayhem that swallowed me when I tried to escape it? Synthrubber in the healers? ward comes only in black and blue but somehow they must have painted the insides in this horrible eye assaulting neon red contrasting with that awful lightning purple. And who is making those big waves to make me sick? Master Yoda I suppose because he is telling us every time that size matters not. Hey stop that! No reaction? Am I alone in the red beast being tossed and turned every which way and having only these slimy handles to hold on and an aquata breather that?s almost depleted? And the blunt scalpel that?s an abomination to a surgeon and that I found in that sticky goo that tried to imprison my hand is of no use at all to escape before I suffocate.?

8. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    Really guys? Only earlybird has the "intestinal fortitude"??? o_O

Well then, cheers to you my dear, who knew a Jedi could be so timid...

Maybe that promt was too tame for some of you, or maybe you're all out preping for something very scary this weekend... Nano! [face_skull]

Either way, here is the next one (and feel free to complete any previous ones as well):

(but be subtle & creative, lest not forget the EVIL TOS)

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    It has been a long time since I've done this. But there's no time like the present to get my kill on! By the way, do we have to explain why or how the OC is a Mary Sue? One paragraph is relative.

Kira Damsar leaned against a pillar outside the Jedi Temple. She was waiting, not so patiently, for her lover Damon Kinlaw. He had kept her standing there for almost fifteen standard minutes past their agreed time to meet. He had not answered her com calls and was getting very close losing the opportunity to see her today. She sighed and checked her chrono again, the third time in as many minutes. She huffed and turned from the pillar onto the main promenade. She ran squarely into a large being in a brightly colored outfit. She heard the being utter an ?oof!? at their collision, and looked up ready to let loose a powerful string of expletives. There was no time to avoid the vibrodagger as it entered her right eye socket. As she fell, dead, a second blade entered her thigh, and a third clattered to ground next to her.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Box of horrors for Amne:

1. A datapad. While she was being held hostage pre-Clone Wars, she was beaten quite severely with a datapad. She still likes flimsiplast.

There are a few other things that freak her out, but you can't fit her husband wielding a Sith lightsaber in a box... Or a Separatist battleship.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Impressive list. I must say I love the amount of detail and effort that has gone into this. Wish it had been around back in '02 when I joined. I don't think you've got every character though. My OC Ceneveran Rio Forwin Maganna picked up a "Best OC" award a few years back but is absent from the list. I think it'd hurt his ego, but it'll do him some good to be kicked off his pedestal.

Mind you, my Eternity saga is just a massive OC character hive, including Clarrisani (Mary Sue anyone?)

Keep up the good work!

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm disappointed!

I haven't done anything with OCs in a while, but I'm always up for a little Deathcoaster. I was hoping for some in thread writing and reviewing. The turn out has been virtually nonexistant.

Where are all the OC advocates? Why is a part time board participant trying to drum up so action in this thread? I know I'm not a regualar around here, but come on!

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I am doing NaNo with an all OC cast and almost ready with the first story arch.

14. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I have something in mind. Whipping it up now. May take a few days before I get it in here...'cause that's how sloth-like I can be.

15. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Jedi Knight Krystall Sharrd began to cross the street when she sensed something amiss in the Force. She paused, her hand slowly drawing back toward her lightsaber. It was elusive. This was unlike the sharp division of the dark and light sides that she normally sensed.

She furrowed her brow. This was frustrating. She mused that it must be about as frustrating as Yoda felt when he failed once more to be a significant challenge for her when the two of them did a bit of sparring earlier. The disturbance grew, but there was still no malice attached to it. She glanced up, thinking that perhaps falling debris from any of the numerous structures could be the cause, for that sort of thing happened from time to time. This was Coruscant after all. No; it wasn?t that.

The noise was terrible. She detested having to walk through the burrow-like pedestrian pathways, preferring to soar high in the stratosphere, darting in and out of the spires. She sighed. ?I?m sure Yoda had nothing to do with being given this assignment,? she thought wryly. Posing as a commoner among the dregs of Coruscant! How droll! But, as a consummate Jedi, she accepted the task willingly.

Krystall sighed once more and continued across the street, frequently scanning the skies for this indefinable trouble.

Sloan Hurst kicked in the accelerator as they hit the straightaway. Force, I love street-racing! I can?t remember the last time I got to cut loose, one-on-one against an opponent on a street. No crowds! No trophies! Just the thrill of kicking someone else?s backside! Shelby would kill me if she knew. Good thing she?s back on Malastare.

On Coruscant at the behest of one of his sponsors, Sloan had borrowed this sleek Cam-Aero RS from one of his old friends, Cam Pushrod. Images popped up in Sloan?s head of Cam?s speeder being damaged. Sloan quickly pushed aside those thoughts. He was racing; this was no time to dwell upon safety.

He stole a glance at the other racer ? a helmeted punk trying out his new Krayt-GT. Not a bad ride, but not quite up to par with the RS. Sloan snickered, but his mirth didn?t last long as he felt a considerable impact to Cam?s speeder. The accompanying ?thud? was unmistakable, but Sloan peered back to be sure.

?Mother Sith Bucket!? He spat. He struck a pedestrian, one that looked like it could have been a homeless lady. He quickly broke off from the race and headed for the spaceport where Cam was waiting to pick up the speeder and see Sloan off. With any luck I can get back to Malastare with no one being the wiser.

Krystall was fading to black, but although a part of her regretted that she hadn?t yet achieved her dream of becoming a Jedi Master, (and senior member of the Council for that matter), she took solace in noting that her neck was perfectly broken.

16. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Wups! That's not a hobo, it's a Jedi! *applauds* Nice little deathcoaster there.

17. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    I think it rocks how people are still doing the Deathcoaster during the holidays!
    :p

Seeing as how people will probably be busy during the holidays, I'll postpone any challenges, but instead keep things lively around here to keeo the juices flying. So, in keeping with ripping off oqi and the old OC Anon thread:

UNSOLICITED OCs PIMPING THEMSELVES!!!!!

Drag out one of your OCs plunk him/her/it in the hot seat and answer the following questions...

1. Who's your daddy?
    2. What's love got to do with it?
    3. Who do you think you are?
    4. What's your problem?

Then, tell us one strange childhood memory.

18. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Should our OCs just post their answers in this thread?

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Here are Sian Ny's answers:

1. Who's your daddy? No idea, the Order doesn't think we need to know little details like that.
    2. What's love got to do with it? Everything, baby. Everything. And good old fashioned lust ain't bad either.
    3. Who do you think you are? The Force's gift to fems everywhere.
    4. What's your problem? Qui-Gon Jinn, that's my problem.

A funny story from my childhood? Anything involving Jinn was pretty damned hilarious. ;)

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    1. Who's your daddy? Marin Adin
    2. What's love got to do with it? He was in love with Yorana and they got me.
    3. Who do you think you are?a young Dunai elder
    4. What's your problem?The Skywalker/Kenobi duo avoiding me when one is or both are injured. You have to drag them to the healers' ward.

Then, tell us one strange childhood memory. Trying with my colleagues Jadin, Skon and Beran to surprise Master Yoda for his birthday and ending up in the crawlducts above his apartment with the horrible stench of his stew entering our noses for hours because we were trapped by icky globs of mayhem.

21. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    These are Cyc's answers.

1. Who's your daddy?

A mindless robot arm on Nubia you ignorant nujit. Not every citizen of the galaxy is spawned via meiosis.

Nothing really, it's a semi-irrational emotional response triggered by hormone fluctuations, subconscious neurological responses, and visual cues. You organics spend way too much time worrying about it.

A whole lot smarter than you, organic.

4. What's your problem?

I'm trying to solve a twenty-thousand year old multi-species mystery that just might alter the fate of the galaxy and people keep saying stuff like 'who let the droid in.'

I suppose I could consider my pre-independence to be the equivalent of childhood. I recall a rather complicated accounts investigation I did once. It turned out I was duplicating the actions of an insider who'd just stolen about half a million credits from some Hutts. I never really found out how they traced it off that, or what happened to the poor thief.

(and so yeah, I totally used a droid just to buck the trend, but I like Cyc, A9G Data Storage Unit, he's fun)

22. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Let me put Galen Wentlas up to the questions. He's primarily an RPG character right now, but he counts. For a little bit of background, this takes place a year after RotS.

1. Who's your daddy?
    "My father was Lieutenant Andur Wentlas, a member of the Republic Judicial Forces who served in the fleet division. He died a year or two after I was born, so I never really knew him. My step-father on the other hand... I don't like to talk about him much, especially in these days."

"A lot in recent days, really. I'm in a relationship with a woman I met on the ship. We both work--well, used to work I guess, since I was just reassigned to this group searching for the Sarlacc Project--in the same section of the ship."

"The words 'Imperial defector' get thrown around a lot around me, and I know it's just convenience to say so. In reality, I was only in the Empire for four months before I could find the right opportunity to get out alive. I still consider myself to be a member of the Galactic Republic.

4. What's your problem?
    "I'm nervous, really, about going on missions outside of the ship, especially ones on heavily Imperial worlds. I'm sure they're looking for me. I just don't want to put anyone in jeopardy because of my crimes."

A Strange Childhood Memory.

"That's tough... No, I got one. My stepfather's been commanding a Corellian gunship for the past five months while my mother and I are still at home on Coruscant. I was about 12 at the time, and when he returned, he brought the Jedi master and his padawan with him for dinner to discuss the final report of the mission. Chasing pirates, I think, the usual Judicial Forces thing before the Separatist Crisis. Nothing funny or strange happened during the dinner itself, but I served with the padawan during the Clone Wars about 18 years later.

23. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Here are Mada's answers:

1. Who's your daddy? My father's name is Hesu.
    2. What's love got to do with it? Love is a quite unique and special trait that all should live to discover.
    3. Who do you think you are? Nothing special, that's for sure.
    4. What's your problem? I am unsure as to why I have certain abilities and others do not.

24. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh yes!

25. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    Ms Mellanna Morrison....

1. Who's your daddy? Like who owns my butt? That'd be his Admiralship. *points at the blue-skinned nuisance*

2. What's love got to do with it? Nothing. It's a deal, it's just a deal. Swear!

3. Who do you think you are? Khanthitera?

4. What's your problem? He is. *points at his Admiralship again*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.