main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. OBI-TUE_KENOBI

OBI-TUE_KENOBI Jedi Master star 1

Oct 15, 2009
    He did excellent in the prequels, and for me showed us what a powerful force user can do. When he tossed those senate pods like frisbees I was thinking, yes this is what I built up the force to be when I was younger. I love when he says, "Master Yoda, you survived." in an almost "It would have been nice if you were killed but I guess I'll just have to take of this myself." way. The prequels actually helped to make him more of a buildup in the Originals now that we know what he is capable of. And Yoda's "do not underestimate the Emperor" words have even more meaning now that we seen what he can do. Well done indeed Ian.

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Merry Christmas IAN MCDIARMID!!!! Merry Christmas FIGS!!!!!!

3. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Indeed. A Merry Christmas to us all, FIGSers... bringing this thread back to the top... where it belongs!! [face_devil]

[image=http://files.list.co.uk/images/2009/01/08/ian-mcdiarmid-hi-res.jpg]

*cackles*

*dies*

*** Excellent! ***

4. MasterJane423

MasterJane423 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2009
    These are my favorites too. I especially love the way he says "Focus" in "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger."
    I'm not sure if I'm alone in this one, but does anyone else love the way he says "Good. Good." After Anakin pledges himself? That's my favorite line out of the whole saga. :)

5. Estora

Estora Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    "Not from a Jedi..."

He is MAGNIFICENT when he delivers that line. It's so creepy. Is it wrong that even though I love the Saga, every time I watch it I root for Palpatine every single time?

6. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Perhaps with Celebration V the North American fans might see The Ian? How can the Empire Strike Back without him? Given it starts just a day after his birthday, perhaps the FIGs members can host a party? (The level of admiration might disturb him, though. :eek:)

On to quotations in which Palpatine is telling the truth, as long as one understands that the "we" he is using is the Sith:

Our best choice would be to push for the election of a stronger Supreme Chancellor. One who will take control of the bureaucrats, enforces the laws, and give us justice. You could call for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum.

I feel confident...our "situation" will create a strong sympaphy vote for us... I will be Chancellor, I promise you.

7. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I think McDiarmid was good (at least prior to ROTS). However, he was too old. I think Palpatine should have been younger in the PT.

8. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    ummm yeah it is :) it either means McDiarmid isn't doing his job (you should despise Palpatine) or you've some very disturbing issues you should confront :p

just kidding really. i guess its natural to have admiration for a skilled villain. i love spacey in Seven for this. but i dont know if id ever go as far as rooting for them or being upset when they failed.

9. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Awesome that this thread is still going!!! Cheers!

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Has any of you guys seen Ian perform on stage? I would love to get that opportunity!

BTW: How cool is it that he turns 66 this year? :cool:

Turning 66 - it's cool
    /LM

11. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Arrgh!!! I have been neglecting my Ian-worshipfulness ... he was in my neighbourhood and I missed him earlier in the year when he was in "Six characters searching for an author"

By all accounts, he was (as always), "Ian McDiarmid deserves special mention as the mysteriously chilling father. You probably know him as The Emperor in Star Wars. His diction is perfectly clear and his performance is utterly compelling as he moves from the funny to the disturbing."

CB..

12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I haven't seen this thread in a while, but that's no reason not to check in! Gotta love Ian McDiarmid. :cool:

13. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Timeless, this thread is!

Awesome = Ian!

14. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I just want to reiterate... before the forums move and we may possibly lose this thread forever. That this was the greatest thread these forums ever produced.

And IAN MCDIARMID is, hands down, the finest actor the human race has ever produced.

15. BellaSkywalker

BellaSkywalker Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2010
    I'm new to this forum, so I haven't been able to take part in this amazing thread.
    But I wanted to say that Ian McDiarmid truly is one of the finest actors ever to walk this earth.
    His performance as The Emperor is perfection. Absolutely incredible, this man is.

And yes, how cool is it that he's turning 66 this year? It's AWESOME.

16. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    The time has come. Execute birthday sixty-six.

17. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I agree, he was one of few characters to appear in every film

One of the things that made Plapatine/Sidious good in my opinion was that he was very charismatic, he knew how to make people agree with him.

Ian McDiarmid is a wicked actor, on October 22nd, 2008 he was doing a show called "Six Characters in Search of an Author" at the Gielgud Theatre in London's West End when he had a suspected heart attack, but he finished the show before going to hospital!

18. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Indeed, my fellow retired spiritual leader of the FIGS. This has been the greatest thread ever and 'll always be... I have nothing but the
    fondest memories about the many crazy things we wrote over here. And all of our posts had one thing in common: the worship of one called
    Ian McDiarmid. It started out as an appreciation for a man's acting, but it turned into a cult for a GOD!

[image=http://www.joshbuster.com/images/Actors/Ian%20McDiarmid.jpg]

*** FIGS: Ian McDiarmid is your God!!! ***

*DIES*

19. Separatist101

May 11, 2010

20. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Who's moving? As long as Ian is making films well... there's always going to be this thread.

BTW ... we need to do something for the ten year anniversary - can't believe this has been up for soooo long!

CB.

21. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^
    Perhaps "roasting FIGS" while collectively downing a virtually connected dark side "burnt toast" to Master Ian?

22. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Uhhhhh, we're moving right now? And losing all the threads? [face_thinking]

23. Sith_Corrosion

Sith_Corrosion Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    Still watching. Still waiting. Hate never ends.

SC

24. Separatist101

May 11, 2010
    I asked what FIGS means but I forgot that I had asked the same question in the other post so can this post be deleted, admins?

25. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I, for one, find the return of noted Heretics comforting...

Fantastic
    IAN is
    GOD
    Society

(Sometimes rather tamely called Fantastic IAN Gusher Society)

It is also comforting to see my peers and fellow spiritual leaders show up. I suspect that many, like myself, peer into this forum more often than we post, checking in over the flock as it were. I doubt the fire started here will ever go away... The Message of the FIGS will spread throughout the populace until HIS GLORY is LEGEND FOREVERMORE.

And Now, a Question for My Fellow FIGSers: Do you think IAN is retired from Star Wars? Will the "right project" ever come about to entice him to don THE COWL or do "THE VOICE" again? Be it a book on tape, a special appearance on the live action show, or a video game voiceover... will IAN MCDIARMID ever play the roll of Palpatine again?

FIGS: We're not going anywhere...