main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Fast & The Furious (Fast X)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 4, 2011.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, i think it's obvious since Han was in 4, 5 and 6, and the ending of 6 even shows that as well [face_laugh]

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, I never saw 3. I think it's the only I haven't seen. I saw the first two ages and ages ago. So.... 4, 5, and 6 are sequels to 1 and 2 but prequels to 3?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- Han was killed in 3, but is in 4, 5 & 6 (and makes at least one reference to his plans to go to Tokyo at some point in each of those films). It's why Lucas Black couldn't be brought into the last few films yet- he doesn't meet anyone from Dom's crew until 3.

Fast Six's final scene shows an alternate perspective of Han's death in 3, establishing that it was, at least partially, a result of events in Fast Six.

They've kinda been stretching the timeline- I think the original intention was that 4 would be concurrent to 3 (which is why Han departs after the opening, implying he's going to Tokyo), but then they wanted to bring him back for 5, so they pushed 3 down the road (and make the joke at the end of 5, when asked about Tokyo, saying "we'll get there...eventually", or something to that effect), and 5 obviously set up 6 so by that point they had already planned on 6 being before 3 as well.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yup correct

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    The ending of Fast 6 sets up Fast 7 to be the true sequel to Tokyo Drift perfectly. Staham calls Dom, Dom goes to Tokyo to find out what's up and that why he searches out Sean because of his connection to Han, being 'family' and that's where Tokyo Drift ended. I love all the movies but something about Tokyo Drift is special to me. Lucas Black better be back or I'll be upset.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Hope the new director can make this a great movie, and maybe start doing other stuff than horror movies

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tony Jaa to make his English-language debut as Statham's henchman in Fast 7.

In an email, Jaa says: "I have been a big fan of the Fast and Furious franchise. The films are fast-paced, fun and keep the audience involved. There is a great mix of humour and action, something I really appreciate. There is no better film to be involved in for a first US studio production. Having a chance to work with Vin Diesel and The Rock already makes me a winner."

9. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    I'm mad I haven't seen any mention of Lucas Black officially being on board yet. He better be in this movie. I've been waiting for them to finally get past Tokyo Drift for too long to not bring him back.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There is the off-chance that this movie takes place entirely during Tokyo Drift (and/or during the gap between that film's ending and it's final scene with Vin), thus Lucas Black's character is busy elsewhere. However, I'd rather they move beyond TD and include his character to get some payoff to Lucas and Vin's team-up.

I assume it's just too early for them to lock down the cast just yet- but I would imagine they'll get him back if the timeline permits and assuming Lucas Black is interested (and given the performance of FF6, I can't imagine he'd turn it down).

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently, they've been trying to cast another big name actor to cameo (or have a small role) in Fast 7 to set them up as the main villain in Fast 8, similar to what was done in Fast 6.

They were originally going for Denzel Washington, who passed. Now they're supposedly looking at Kurt Russell!

Odd that he'd turn down Expendables (under the premise of not wanting to do an ensemble) but take up F&F (an ensemble, though I guess "main bad guy" stands out more than "another member of the team"). I suppose the mega-success of F&F versus the moderate success of Expendables also plays a factor.

If that is the case, it'll be nice to have Kurt back in an action flick (not counting Death Proof, his last one was, I believe, 3,000 Miles to Graceland).

Regardless, it's indicative that Fast 8 is definitively being pursued.

(I've also revised the thread title to be more encompassing before it gets too unwieldy.)

12. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    I'd lie if I said Justin Lin not directing the next one didn't have me slightly worried. As popcorny as the movies are, he understood the main theme of the first one was family. He worked that into Tokyo Drift and FF4 especially well.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is concerning, especially given the entire franchise's current success is almost entirely because of Tokyo Drift's critical and box office reception.

But I'm willing to give the new guy a shot- especially since I have to assume that Lin provided at least some of a story outline before he had to walk away, given all the talk of Six and Seven having been plotted (and almost filmed) together.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Tokyo Drift underwhelmed at the box office when it first came out?

15. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    It was originally supposed to be straight-to-DVD so it may have had low expectations to meet.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Really? I didn't know that.

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Actually after looking into it I had that totally wrong. They wanted to make it a straight-to-dvd series after Tokyo Drift but when Vin Diesel agreed to return Universal changed their mind.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It seems I'm mistaken- it just seemed like everyone shrugged TD off as a desperate cash-in, what with it being Vinless (as far as people knew at least) and ended up being very surprised by it (it's basically tied with 35/36% on RT as the best reviewed of the franchise prior to Fast Five)- certainly thought better of than 2F2F. That Lin was brought forward to the fourth film because of it is also to it's credit,

That said, yeah, I thought it had done much better at the box office than it actually did. I think it's safe to say, though, that if TD hadn't been as well received, the series probably would have gone DTV.

19. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    I'm just here to say that Tokyo Drift is the best Fast and Furious, and just a damn good movie to boot.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It's not bad, it's pretty rewatchable. I watched it on cable this afternoon. I hope Lucas Black is back for at least a cameo.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd hope he'd be more than a cameo- you would think he'd be as motivated to help take down
    Han's killer
    as much as Dom would be.

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree, it makes total sense. Him being in the next one really depends on where they have the race at the end of Tokyo Drift happen in the Fast timeline. That race could be at the end of the next movie for all we know.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed- that could be the setup for Fast 8 if 7 is about Dom's actions during Sean's Yakuza business.

Or it could just as easily be the opening scene of 7 for all we know.

24. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    I think Dom meeting Shaun at the end of Tokyo Drift leads to him bringing him into the group since he knew Han to find out what happened and take down Statham.

It all ties together a lot neater than I would have imagined.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

That's what I was thinking