main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Formula - Released

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by NickLong, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Okay, I'm going back and listening to the pre-TFN DLRs and in DLR1, Justin refers to a painting scene in the film...what happened to it?

ROFL!!

I was about to e-mail Chris about this! Where did that scene go? I was SO looking forward to it!

2. kryptofailin

kryptofailin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Nice Icon, EagleI! ;)

Ah yes, the painting scene. That's one of my personal favorites. It was an idea I came up with when I tried to make Zarth a wackier character from the first script/treatment Chris gave me. However, as funny as it was, it was slowing things down a little bit, and we needed something with a little more punch to start off the 1st Excalibur scene. This is probably info. I'd give in my own directing commentary track if I were home to tape it. Not too worry llama fans. Soon you'll hopefully hear from all of us. However, if you want some meatier media to sink your contraversy-craving fangs into:

There is a deep, dark episode of digitalllama radio that truly reveals us at our worst. An episode that all llamas shake their heads at my mentioning it. We were all incredibly tired, and couldn't work off eachother to save our lives. Not to mention, we raunch it up something fierce. I don't know if Chris saved a copy of it on his computer, or if it went kaput when his computer did awhile back... but if he still has it, maybe everyone can hound him to put it on our digitalllama website. TFN couldn't host it if they tried. We'd be banned. So, what do you think, Chris? DLR: BIG BAD RAW!!

3. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Wasn't Justin paiting something during the "pants dialouge?"

4. ThreeDee

ThreeDee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    Big bad raw!

*shrugs*

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    More trivia from an extension of the Llama team:

[cheesy game show music]

Good eye, ewing. In the film, to my recollection, it was only barely referenced that he was painting something when he licked a paintbrush at the beginning of the pants dialogue.

In the original script, Zarth was actually painting a miniature the entire time, completely intent on it, and said nothing until the very end.

Incidentally, the line he used that brought the house down was "I find your lack of pants disturbing," which became in the film the introductory line of the pants dialogue.

[/cheesy game show music]

M. Scott

6. kryptofailin

kryptofailin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Yet another testament to our chaotic filmmaking. I think what worked really well with our cast and crew was the fact that nothing was ever really set in stone. We got to the shoot, did whatever we could, changed things up a bit when we found something new and funny to work with, and we weren't afraid to let the scenes take on lives of their own. The Mock-Doc style REALLY helped me in a sense that I was able to cut corners that wouldn't ordinarily be accepted outside of the documentary arena. If you knew how many times, from how many angles, with how many examples we did the pants scene... man, let me tell you, THAT was the scene I was worried about editing. Another interesting note... in the shooting script Chris had created the scenario with the word pants. I thought about it, and it kind of filtered into an idea I'd heard about how men cannot say the word 'Panties' with a straight face. So, in the shooting script, I changed all the 'Pants' to 'Panties'. In the end though, we all felt that it was just kind of overkill, and it sounded almost vulgar, so everyone told me they pretty much decided it would be best to hit back to the original idea. Good move, I think.

7. ThreeDee

ThreeDee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2000
    "Great. Great, Chewie, always thinking with your panties."

THAT I cannot say with a straight face... :D

8. oBi1JaCoBi

oBi1JaCoBi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    heh I was a little late in seeing The Formula - I just downloaded it yesterday. I must say I truly enjoyed it. It was original, funny, and included, dare I say,*ACTING*! I made a little movie for a school project and it took me so many hours of hard work so I could really relate with the character...

Anyway I was wondering what music was used during the last fight scene? (the forest battle) I always like it when I hear it... Also, what music was used in your trailer right after "We'll call ya." was said?

Again thanks for taking the time to make this. I enjoyed every 52 minutes of it. :)
    I wouldn't mind downloading a 500 Mb noncompressed version... ;)

9. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I believe it was from the movie Gladiator.

~Neszis~

10. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    I have GOT to have this on DVD, ive got people begging for it!!!!

11. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Is it just me or is it not available for download off www.fanfilmxchange.com?

And the 211MB version off theforce.net is taking aaaaaaaaages.

12. Mugwump

Mugwump Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2001
    Well, I've been out of it for a while. Wait let me rephrase that... I've been downloading BA on a 56k modem. Now that that's FINALY over (I d/led the high res version mind you) I'm officialy Starting on TF.

I can't wait to see this! It looks great. I'll give my $.02 as soon as I finish (should be couple of days)

-muggy

13. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    oBi1JaCoBi:

Gladiator was indeed the music for the second forest fight.

And after he says "so those won't do you any good" in their Matrix spoof, the song was (gasp) from the Matrix soundtrack. :D "Clubbed to Death" by Rob D.

14. oBi1JaCoBi

Oct 30, 1999
    Thanks, does anyone happen to remember what song was used in their trailer though? It was right after the emperor/little boy scene and they said "We'll call ya." The music just fit perfectly into it and I have no idea what artist it was...

15. McC

McC Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2001
    Try "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces" by Ben Folds Five.

Google, a few lyrical snippets from the song, and voila ;)

16. oBi1JaCoBi

Oct 30, 1999
    thanks man that was it ;)

17. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I can't get the formula from TFN, where can I grab it?

Please I am duying to see it

18. McC

Sep 30, 2001
    I'd offer to host it, but I don't know what my hosts would say about such a tremendous bandwidth draw. Theoretically, I have unlimited bandwidth...but I don't want to push my luck.

19. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    You and I both, Whisper..... :p

I'm getting tons of emails stating the same problem. Digitalllama.com's server provider flat out refuses to host it, no matter how much i paid them. Until the hi-res version finally gets finished (which is kinda out of my hands for the moment), i see no possibility of fixing this. I'd send it to people through AIM and whatever, but my upload speed is uber-capped at about 12k/sec.

Anyone ever see it on Kazaa?

-Chris

20. McC

Sep 30, 2001
    Ah, Chris, you're alive! While we have you here, what's the status of DLR9? :)

21. Digital_LlamaCH

Jan 30, 2001
    DLR 9's been recorded. Editing as we speak. :)

-Chris

22. McC

Sep 30, 2001
    Woo! Excellent news :) Any rough estimation on release then?

23. Digital_LlamaCH

Jan 30, 2001
    Soon. :) You'll know when it's up, don't worry.

-Chris

24. McC

Sep 30, 2001
    Great -- looking forward to it :)

25. Mugwump

Mugwump Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2001
    well.... if you're REALLY hardcore you can get it at TFN. I've been downloading it for about 20 hours right now. 11%

Give it a week, and I'll have it. I want to see this puppy VERY Badly, and I know for a fact a DVD isn't coming out any time soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.