main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Game Designer's Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, I had initial ideas about this.

First away: Can the reimagining run into problems with a second attempt who is running in US TV? I think certainly yes. But it doesn´t have to.

Does it work in a "today" scenarion? Yes, it does. The TV-Pilot did, why not your game? The ressource-war and consumer-attitude of the aliens is something drop-dead modern and relevant.

Now to the ideas at hand. What would such a game need? Get rid of the stuff. 80ies design. Give the Aliens a new spin, so people don´t feel like doing a remake here. But an original game. For ideas I think you can look at a lot of stuff that has recently come out. Half Life 2 (which might be viewed as Post-V pastiche in many ways) jumps to mind. As did Invasion or BSG the Caprica Episodes. The whole Cylons of BSG could be interesting to look at. X-Files, is the mother of Alien conspiracies, obviously. It´s rip-offs had good ideas, too. Once modernized and probably given a few new twists, I am sure the Aliens might work. Only give them some new aspects. Breeding with humans, perhaps? Mindcontrolling stuff? Superior biochemical technology? Clones? Whatever. Sci-Fi has many things in hold. It will give them a fresh feel.

When should you start it? Good question. The time of their "adaption" is important, I guess. To lead into the resistance/rebellion and I think we also should have time develop characters, as such a game is about being human, I suppose. It faces the problem, the players are waiting for a well-known reveal. The great old franchise-problem. If not done as a post-franchise, it is always known what will happen next. I have an idea how to avoid that trap and turn it into an advantage even . . . but if you wanna hear these thoughts, maybe better in PM. Or it is ruined before thought through ;)

The big question is, do you wanna have an action adventure against an creepy alien invasion or do you prefer a "We both smile at each other, despite knowing you´re really a reptile and I have planted a bomb on your toilet"-scenario.

A single thought. You should consider (except you do not like the idea) to move it to another time zone. I know this unpopular with GMs, but have it in the heights of Cold War of before the WWII could lead to an intruiging new spin to things . . .

2. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    And if nothing pressing (close to release wants to take the next spot, I would like to have it. For an old project of mine, which is already ready to go. But I would appreciate some expertise . . . feedback, whatever.

So.

The Quere:

Sainthearts - V (running)
    DarkLordoftheFins - SinsOfTheSaints (next)

3. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    Never seen the show, and honestly can't recall if i have ever heard of it, but I have some input anyways. :p

PCs: Human only? Visitors? I'm inclined towards the first option because it keeps maximum coverage of the curtain, but I'm open to persuasion.

Well, there are pros to both, I think. As you mentioned, restricting players to Humans only keeps the curtain closed, which actually will be good, I think. From what I have understood thus far the big reveal of what the aliens are REALLY here for is pretty much the climax of the game, so to speak, so keeping that covered up until it happens is probably wise. So, I would say restrict them to humans... though you can always open up aliens after that reveal... reward good players with a second character if they want, stuff like that. It's up to you and how you want to take a game, but there is some food for thought.

When to set it: When the ships first show? When martial law is declared? During the formation of the Resistance, or well into it? Not certain. The earlier it starts, the more characterisation I suppose, but also the more atmosphere of "Move it on already! We know they're here to take the water!"

Personally, and again from what limited understanding I have of the setting, I think it should be set sometime after the ship first shows. Maybe it's been a few weeks or months, so that players can develop without having to all do posts like, "Whoa! What the! Aliens!?!" They'll still have the opportunity to deal with "Weird, aliens..." but can perhaps focus a bit more on who the character is and building relationships with other pcs. There'll have been some time already passed that they can say they are used to it. Aside from that, I have few suggestions. It's really up to you. Starting at almost any point has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

Do I allow myself to have collaborators amongst all this?

Since you brought it up you must find it important, but I'm not sure I get what you're asking. I think you mean do you talk about plot points with people and get ideas? I can better help if I better understand, and it may just be my fault for not getting it. :p

Do I include any of the "canon" characters (or has it been so long that people don't really remember and I could just slip 'em in without anyone noticing?)

It depends slightly on when it is set, of course, but I think appearances of canon characters would be wonderful. It wouldn't matter to people like me who are not familiar with the show, and it would be a special treat for people who are. However, personally I'd advise against having players being able to play canon characters. Just my thoughts. *shrugs*

Is this a "present day" RPG that could actually work?

Certainly. It's a good premise for a game. It's a pretty tried and true concept, Aliens come, thought friendly, really aren't, big war, etc, or at least that is what I got. I've never really heard of it and its familiar. What this means is you'll possibly have to put your own little twists on it to keep it fresh, but for a gm of your caliber that shouldn't be an issue. (wait..... why am I sucking up again? Who knows. :p) Anyways, Fins kinda hinted at this, but this game can work in pretty much any setting. I'm sure it could be made to work in dark ages France, in all honesty. My impression is this game and story idea is not really about aliens stealing water and food. It's about dealing with something completely unknown, and again as Fins said about humanity in general.

For now, that's all the thoughts I have. If any more come drifting through my head I'll be sure to send them your way. :p

I will say that I do like Fins' suggestions about revamping the aliens, and a Cold War/WWII setting could indeed prove to be very interesting. Personally, I wouldn't discount these ideas too quickly.... unless they really just aren't what you want to do of course. :p

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Should've expressed myself better. By "collaborators" I was referring to human characters who collaborate with the aliens in their occupation of Earth, but that might be micromanaging things before I've got a solid concept worked out.

I think the main challenge, on your comments thus far, is going to be making this recognisable to most of the current user base in these forums, since, to my surprise, it doesn't look like there's a lot of people out here who've seen at least the original TV series (man, do I feel old ... it's only from the 1980s, people! :) ) That also has implications for a player base since presumably interest is going to be partially marked by familiarity with the franchise.

But I will certainly take the comments on board regarding playing with the scenario or the aliens' motives or even the historical period in which to set the game. The World War II scenario sounds like a real Harry Turtledove-style game, so I'll consider it carefully.

Thanks for all the assists, guys, and that's probably all I need for the moment; feel free to move up the next item on the queue -- I'll come back with a better-formed concept and first post in due course.

5. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Here it is, has been long in the making and in between I probably had half a cast together. But my current game became longer and longer and things changed. By now I have lost my Co-GM and Story-advisor. I also wondered what to do with it and if time made revises necessary.

Comments? Ideas? Impressions?

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVVwaAWJVQE]A blinking monitor in a dark room. Puzzled face, reading what it has to say, as if another enigma could give them wisdom . . . [/link]

[i]Dir/
    Open file/
    file 499JJ211453/12

password ************
    security-log in . . . .
    complete . . . [/i]

[b]Europol Case File 449JJ211453/12[/b]
    Protocol of Chatroom [color=blue]432/spin.com/privategroup[/color]: Contact between the individual codenamed [i]"Philistine"[/i] and a [i]Unknown Individual (5674)[/i] from Emden, Germany.

03:44:07 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] HEY! Missed you!
    03:44:12 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Missed you, too. Sorry. Was away. Am on a trip.
    03:44:18 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] A trip? Where?
    03:44:20 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Why haven´t you told me?
    03:45:15 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] No time. It was something urgent.
    03:45:22 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Where are you now?
    03:45:40 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Nepal
    03:45:45 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] You´re kidding.
    03: 45:58 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] No. I´m not.
    03:46:04 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Why Nepal? You´re from the US I thought?
    03:46:30 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] I wanted to meet someone. Looks like I missed him.
    03:47:00 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Who?
    03:49:00 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Someone
    03:49:12 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] So secretive?
    03:49:17 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Better that way.
    03:49:55 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] You´re frightening me, Jacob.
    03:49:59 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Sorry.
    03:50:20 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] I´m frightened anyway. It´s okay.
    03:51:01 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Why are you frightened?
    03:51:07 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Jerusalem
    03:51:22 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Yeah, I heard about it. Bad. Pretty bad. How many victims are there so far?
    03:52:00 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] 100.000 +- Still counting. They have no idea what happened. No idea at all what is going on. Nobody can even get near the site. Fallout.
    03:52:25 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] A nuclear explosion I heard.
    03:52:57 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Yep. But who did it? Extremists? Other countries? This is bad. So bad, Jacob. It could be IT. Could become worse. Could become . . . anything.
    03:54:01 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] I know.
    03:54:21 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] You´re still here. Good. I thought you logged out. You know the Mayan´s thought 2012 would be the end of the world?
    03:54:37 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Read it. Sure. Probably they were right.
    03:54:55 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Then we should all pray. I pray a lot lately.
    03:56:22 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Still there?
    03:56:25 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] To whom?
    03:56:40 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] God. Of course
    03:57:12 [b]Cobinsky_Z::[/b] Aha.
    03:57:37 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Aha? An Atheist?
    03:57:42 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Notatall
    03:57:45 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] But?
    03:58:27 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] I have some inside information about god.
    03:58:37 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Really? Funny you. What is he like?
    03:58:49 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Who?
    03:58:59 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] God?
    04:00:04 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] You do not wanna know.
    04:00:23 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] You are strange today.
    04:01:12 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] A joke, right?
    04:03:01 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Hello?
    04:05:31 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Hello???
    04:06:36 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Jack?
    04:06:48 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Jacob? Are you still there? I can see you´re online

04:34:09 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Who are you?
    04:35:40 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Ah, you´re back. What do you mean? In a philosophical way?
    04:35:45 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Who are you?
    04:35:57 [b]ZoZodiac77:[/b] Is that you Jacob?

04:37:03 [b]Cobinsky_Z:[/b] Jacob is dead

[i][b]User Cobinsky_Z[/b][/i] is now [i]offline[/i] . . .

[hr]
    [hr]

[hl=black][color=white][b]The Sins of the Saints[/b][/color][/hl]

[hr]
    [hr]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJhVM930YXY][i]I saw the year 2012.[/i][/link]

And what I saw was wrong. Something was wrong with the world.

[i]It changed.[/i]

[image=http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs45/i/2009/122/2/5/

6. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    I'll definently be joining, when/if you release it.

=D= =D= =D=

I'd like to leave it at that...

7. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    Hm.... normally I try to pick out a few "bad" things and point them out. I find that it always helps to present people with different ideas and perceptions so that they can take it all in and decide what they want to do with it. I'm not having anything come to mind that could be a detraction or that really should be worked out. The post is really well written. At first glance, I thought it might be a bit too long, but that fear was cast aside when I actually started reading it. The opening is very well done, original, and grabs attention nicely. The rest reads easily, and there is nothing too mind boggling to break that up.

It did occur to me that this seems to have the potential to be quite a colossal undertaking, but again you seem to know that. So, what else can I say? Not much. It's a good concept that, if given the love and care I am pretty sure you'll give it, has extreme potential for an absolutely magnificent game. Aside from a few typos that I noticed, I can't say anything else really. Very well done Fins.

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    How does one end up on line?

9. Republic_Anvil

Republic_Anvil Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2009
    The only thing I have to suggest is that the opening IM thing could be better read if color coded. Other then that it is a game I would fight to be included in *eyes the others suspiciously... grabs a big stick* [face_mischief]

10. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    Actually, Instant Massagers usually do have colors, in AIM the colors are usually Red and Blue. But that is just details, if you left it uncolored it would have no affect on the game itself.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The "game itself" notion is a misnomer. The OP is an integral part of the design process, and as such, readability and attractiveness to the eye are essential. I agree with Anvil, colored differentiation between the two accounts would aid in reading the transcript.

12. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    The colour idea actually is a good one. I thought on how to make the chat more approachable for some time . . . and never thought of colours. I might give it a try. Otherwise thanks everybody for the positive echo. Looks like this game can begin planning. As Chukles pointed out, it could get a massive undertaking. Therefore I should clean my plate a little before beginning it. But I guess early 2010 could be the opening.

Thanks so far. Nobody concerned about it´s rather dark tone of it?

13. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i think you already know my thoughts on this game fins, not to mention who shall be played in it.;)

color coding it definitely seems like a good idea to me (the IM at the beginning). otherwise very, very well writ.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh... could be darker.:p

I'll definitely join once it gets started. How can I not?

15. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    I'll echo the others and say that the color coding would be wonderful. I'm actually surprised I didn't mention it since I did realize that the chat was a bit hard to read. :p *rolls eyes at self*

Anyways, I am not concerned in the least about the darker tone. People like dark sometimes. And, it's only going to be as dark as players let it. Just because the setting is dreary and depressing, doesn't mean that characters are not going to fall in love, or have a good time, or post a funny post here or there. My point is, even if the setting is too dark, I am sure that the players will balance it out some. I would be careful not to make quite every update dark and dreary though. It might be good to throw a "Oh, look, something good and happy happened!" to your players every now and then. :p

Wonder if I got rambly there........

16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Your first paragraph of plot needs a bit...prettying up, IMO. It reads well, but you've got odd paragraph issues to my eyes that disrupt the flow the words have.

For example, take this line and the next two:
    I do something like this and it throws you off after the neat and easy double space, right?
    Makes it harder to read.

But if I continue on like this for each paragraph, it flows a lot...

...nicer.

Easier on the eyes and it doesn't disrupt flow.

Savvy? :p

I know, it's minor, but it honestly makes a difference. I'll be joining regardless of my other thoughts on the game (I'm a bit concerned about the free-form nature, myself) because the character creation process is very compelling to me.

17. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, I think I got what I came for. These paragraph´s seem to be personal style of my corrector. My corrector included the empty parts. I´ll probably take ´em out, again.

One thing cleared up, so I do not create false expectations.
    It is actually not a sandbox game. But a game in which many, many characters can work. It´s a world exploration, of sorts and therefore I will have several plot-lines which will seem unconnected at first. Only to grow together.
    Can ANY character play in these plots? Actually. Yes. A few things are needed to integrate them, but that I can introduce in the character creation stage and make sure it is well integrated into the characters. And in a way the player appreciates it.
    Also the various stories will mean different degrees of linearity (is that an english word? If not, I invented it hereby). Some setting will be free to explore and use for your own story. With events no character can ignore (that will be my prime-modus). Others will go from a to b to c. With whatever side-trips the characters will wish to do. (for those digging unravelling the mystery behind it all)
    All of it together will lead into one big picture of the "Change" and what is behind it. What it means. Ambitious, I know. But I believe if there is any board in the web where you find players to pull it of, it is THIS ONE. And if it doesn´t work out, it´s no drama. All story-branches can work for themselves as standalones.

What I want here is not the characters developing through the story (my input). The character development IS the true story. I develop it around their personal drama. We are exploring here what these Events does with humans and what humanity might be worth and about under such circumstances.

So hope that clears it up. I think my week is almost up. So, if anybody got something to add, you can also PM me, as some did anyway. If not, please feel free to take center-stage, BobaMatt.

Thanks for all of your input. It was helpful. More so than you might think. Looking to long at such a game and OP makes you doubt it.

Therefore . . . 2010 shall be it. Hopefully I´ll see you all next year in my game.

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated what you did for me.

18. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    I have a game, quite unique and interesting, methinks, that is ready to be added to the queue, which I believe is empty. However, Matt, did you have a game you wanted to post up?

19. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    Alright, well, the continued silence, I assume, means that no one has any objections to a new game being thrown up. Apologies for the double post, but I now present to you To The Top.

To the Top: Tales from Nabuham

~Saturday, November 7, 2009

My observations thus far have held true. Nabuham is in a state of decline, and I believe there is nothing that can now stall my plans from coming to their desired ends. Soon, the city will be mine, and I will be rich. I shall not go into my plans in this entry, as they are written in a secure document elsewhere, but be assured that Nabuham soon will be no more.

There is, however, one unforeseen obstacle that may prove worrisome. The Role Playing Forum Financial Center has been unaffected by the economic decline. The economy is booming in many locations outside of Nabuham, and the Financial Center too is seeing continued success. It will have to be eliminated before the investor base begins to realize the gravity of Nabuham?s situation?

~Excerpt from the journal of Baddie Moneypots (Working name, to be refined later)

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Welcome To The Top

The city of Nabuham, located in our beloved RPF, is in a state of decay. Once, it was the pinnacle of human creation. Now, it is a mere shadow of its former self? and a pitiful one at that. With the falling values of the buildings and lots, Baddie Moneypots is attempting to buy as much of the city as he can.

So, you?ve spent your life working to get to the top. Maybe you went to college; maybe you entered the work force fresh out of high school. Either way, you find yourself with some money in your pocket and a desire to increase it, and maybe help Nabuham while you?re at it.

And so, you enter the Role Playing Forum Financial Center (RPFFC), the oldest, largest?and only?standing financial institution in the RPF. The unfathomably large building saw its birth in 1915 as a small, local bank. Over the decades, it has grown into an institution that caters to banking, stock trading, investment auctions, as well as many forms of entertainments and services. It is often joked that it has become part bank, part stock market, part super market, and part country club.

You are lost in this new and confusing world, but you won?t let that stop you. You are set on being the best, and as you look around you, you see that there will be a lot of competition. It won?t be easy, but it most certainly will be worth it.

How to Get to the Top

To the Top, like life, is all about succeeding. But how do you go about measuring success? Part of it will be, of course, the character?s? well? character and what they desire to be happy. However, success is also measured in two other ways, individually and community.

Individual Success

So, individually, how does one become the best? It comes from balancing not only your finances, but your life as well. One cannot be financially successful without their affairs in order. This does not mean that you have the most money, for what good is money if it is not growing? What good is money if it will only decrease?

To reach the top, you must increase your Player Rank to surpass all of your opposition. Player ranking will be determined on three factors: Investments, Popularity, and Prestige.

- Investments: Each week, various investments come along for players to consider. Certain investments may have a high yield, some may not. Some may have potential to grow, some to shrink. Not always will this be clearly evident. It is up to the player to decide which will work best for them. Each investment is worth a certain amount of points, whether positive or negative, that determine his or her Investment Score.

- Popularity: As time moves on certain events will occur that will alter the public?s, and other investors?, opinion of you. They may be charity events, parties thrown, items owned, or any number of other events. Each event will have points that add to your Popularity Score.

- Prestige: What is the use of being r

20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I really wanna say something about it, but I submit the request of a prolonging. This is in many ways unique and I have a hard time forming an opinion on it. Thinking through it . . .

21. Republic_Anvil

Oct 24, 2009
    Ok its been a while since the last comment and I think we should move on.

I think the queue is empty so here is a little game I am thinking of throwing up.

The Trolloc Wars: Manetheren
    A Wheel of Time Game

A thousand years after the Breaking of the World, society had finally stabilized somewhat. The Ten Nations were prosperous, and humanity was once again advancing both in industry, science, and philosophical and mental pursuits. The Trolloc Wars shattered this time of peace and prosperity.

The Trollocs, twisted hybrids of human and animals, led by Myddraal, eyeless humanoid horrors, surged out of the Blight with such a ferocity that they brought the Ten Nations to their knees. They cut a swath through the middle of the contanint leaving death and destruction in their wake.

The invading shadowspawn reached all the way to Manetheren, but the great city would not fall. Manetheren became a thorn in the Dark One's foot, with many naming the city the ?Sword that could not be broken.? Men and women of Manetheren fought side by side to defeat the Dark One's armies. The city held the siege of shadow at bay while help was sent for.
    Riders were sent to Aridhol and Tar Valon with requests for assistance. Manetheren just needs to hold out until help can arrive. Lets hope it arrives soon...

Welcome to the [b]Trolloc Wars: Manetheren[/b]. This is a game based in Robert Jorden's Wheel of Time series. While a familiarity with the series would be helpful it is not necessary. The game takes place in the midst of the Shadow's siege of Manetheren, a great city of the Ten Nations.
    Players will choose their own goals (ie. Finding a certain artifact/person/information, helping the city defend from the shadow, revenge...)
    These goals will be between the GM and the Player.
    The game will be laid out in three chapters that will cover the Siege of Manetheren.

Character generation will be a little different. You can be anything you can think of as long as it is human and medieval like. For anyone interested in magic users shoot me a PM and we'll work it out.

Name:
    Title:
    Appearance:
    Equipment:
    Bio:

Combat will be a Kill Quota for trollocs and post by post battles for named or more powerful enemies.

Trollocs: Twisted hybrids of human and animals. They kill for the pleasure of killing and will eat anything that is meat, which bodes ill for anyone taken prisoner. They are none to bright and are cowards if out numbered. They have excellent dark vision but are light blind.

Myddraal: Fades, Halfmen, The Sightless, these are a few names for these shadowspawned abominations. Human looking, Pale and tall, muscular and serpent-quick, they have no eyes, only smooth skin where the sockets should be. Despite having no eyes they are said to have the vison of eagles in both light and darkness. The Myddraal bind the Trollocs to them through fear.

Draghkar: Are flying creatures of the Shadow, resembling pale men with large eyes, red lips and bat-like wings. They sing hypnotically to their prey to attract them within near proximity. The Draghkar then sucks its prey's soul out by administering the Kiss. What is left behind of the unfortunate prey is only a shell of its former self. It has been said that, once the process has begun, it is worse to be rescued from a Draghkar's Kiss with a partial soul, then to be allowed to die.

Dreadlords: They are men and women that can channel that have gone over to the Shadow. As the Myddraal control the Trollocs the Dreadlords control the Myddraal.

[hr]

Its a work in process and any help would be appreciated. I know the rules are missing but they're the standard ones of most games. The Kill Quota is from Fins and Draco's Bad Day in LA game, if you guys would rather me not use it I won't.

22. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Hm, I think you need to explain the Wheel of Time universe more - I don't know anything about it, and from what you've written it feels like Generic Fantasy. What makes it special?

23. Republic_Anvil

Oct 24, 2009
    Hmm... Didn't want it to be very wordy but I can explain more.

The Trolloc Wars: Manetheren

[i]?The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."[/i]

At the dawn of time, the Creator forged the universe and the Wheel of Time, which spins the threads of all lives. The Wheel has seven spokes, each representing an age, and it rotates under the One Power, which flows from the True Source. The Power is essentially composed of male and female halves, (saidin and saidar)in opposition and in unison, this power turns the Wheel. Those who can use this power are known as channelers; the principal organization of such channelers are called the Aes Sedai or 'Servants of All' in the Old Tongue.
    The Creator imprisoned Shai'tan, The Dark One, at the moment of creation, sealing him away from the Wheel. However, in a time called the Age of Legends, a breach was inadvertently bored into the Dark One's prison, allowing his influence to seep back into the world. He rallied the powerful, the corrupt and the ambitious to his cause and these servants began an effort to free the Dark One fully from his prison, so he might remake time and reality in his own image. In response to this threat, the Wheel spun out the Dragon, a channeler of immense power, to be a champion for the Light. In the Age of Legends the Dragon was a man named Lews Therin Telamon, who eventually rose to command the Aes Sedai and their allies in the struggle against the Dark One's forces. After a grueling ten-year war, which began a century after the Dark One's prison was breached, Telamon led his forces to victory in a daring assault on the site of the earthly link to the Dark One's prison, and was able to seal it off. However, at this moment of victory the Dark One tainted saidin, driving male channelers of the One Power insane. The male channelers devastated the world with the One Power, unleashing earthquakes and tidal waves that reshaped the planet. Their leader, Lews Therin, killed his friends, his family, and finally himself in his insanity. Eventually, the last male channeler was killed or cut off from the One Power, leaving the human race all but destroyed and only women able to wield the One Power safely. The Aes Sedai reconstituted and guided humanity out of this dark time. Mankind now lived under the shadow of a prophecy that the Dark One would break free from his prison and the Dragon would be reborn to face him once more, raining destruction upon the world in the process of saving it from the Dark One.

A thousand years after the Breaking of the World, society had finally stabilized somewhat. The Ten Nations were prosperous, and humanity was once again advancing both in industry, science, and philosophical and mental pursuits. The Trolloc Wars shattered this time of peace and prosperity.

The Trollocs, twisted hybrids of human and animals, led by Myddraal, eyeless humanoid horrors, surged out of the Blight with such a ferocity that they brought the Ten Nations to their knees. They cut a swath through the middle of the contanint leaving death and destruction in their wake.

The invading shadowspawn reached all the way to Manetheren, but the great city would not fall. Manetheren became a thorn in the Dark One's foot, with many naming the city the ?Sword that could not be broken.? Men and women of Manetheren fought side by side to defeat the Dark One's armies. The city held the siege of shadow at bay while help was sent for.
    Riders were sent to Aridhol and Tar Valon with requests for assistance. Manetheren just needs to hold out until help can arrive. Lets hope it arrives soon...

Welcome to the Trolloc Wars: Manetheren. This is a game based in Robert Jorden's Wheel of Time series. While a familiarity with the series would be helpful it is not necessary. The game takes place in the midst of the Shadow's siege of Manetheren, a great city of the Ten Nations.
    Players will choose their own goals (ie. Finding a certain artifac

24. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    The Kill Quota is an "open-source license" :D Usei t as you see fit. I actually feel honored . . . well Fin will probably feel honored. He is the inventor.

Otherwise, I´ll leave comments to the much more competent eyes and minds of the more experienced players. And those who are familiar with the novels, at least . . .

Except one thing. I have no idea what this world looks like from your opening. And I have not read the books. So, some description of what it is like to play there would be nice . . .

25. Republic_Anvil

Oct 24, 2009
    I was going to include this map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.