main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah. I mean, the book is a kids book that summarizes portions of the adventure. I wasn't expectiing 9 hours, but I have no problems with it.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'd be totally cool with one long Hobbit movie and then a series of movies just filling in the gaps. You wouldn't get the "IS THIS HEAVY IS THIS LIGHT WHAT IS OUR TONE" problems - well, hopefully.

It'd never happen but it'd at least make a bit more sense and then this wouldn't feel like quite so much a "nudge nudge wink wink" affair. I mean the entire first movie I was just wishing they'd get on with it, and then this one had the benefit of not needing to dump so much exposition. It's not a particularly deep movie at all, but I definitely had fun watching it.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but, you could have you know, ninja elves and barrels and LOTS OF ACTION instead Penguinator.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I knew going in that this series wouldn't be as epic as LOTR was but expected some epic moments, stuff not from the book, epic scenery and music and over the top fun. Desolation of Smaug delivered.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I actually consider them different films. Because they really are VERY different.

I know where it's from, and would have been just fine with Frodo singing it. But the uber-annoying-with-WAY-to-much-screentime Bofur singing it IN RIVENDELL while everyone throws food at the Elven hosts was just awful IMO.

You can't really count The Hobbit until the 3rd one comes out. And the actual X-men "trilogy" is 1, 2, & 3. Cutting out 3 while adding First Class is cheating!! ;) Decent list. Though I find the lack of The Matrix disturbing.

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    And if they DO include those (other than The Godfather), you can assume the person is a extremely pretentious hipster who hates enjoyable movies.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nah, that's only if they include Terrence Malick.

Chewgumma, Ender Sai and 07jonesj like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

What didn't you enjoy about Days of Being Wild/In The Mood for Love/2046?

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    What didn't I enjoy about In The Mood For Love? EVERYTHING! This is a movie where literally nothing happens. There are hardly any lines of dialogue actually spoken, nothing goes anywhere, and most of the film is spent with people staring in silence. There is ZERO chemistry in the so-called "love". Its a bland, boring, utterly pointless movie. Its one of the only two movies I've ever wanted to walk out of the cinema after paying for it. (the other being the new Les Misarables musical)
    I didn't see the other two, one was MORE than enough!

EHT likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Thranduil has invisible railing. :p Cheater.

And about criticism, Tolkien commented on that in the foreword of LOTR, and I think it could do good to be quoted here now (because it sounds exactly like something PJ would say now):

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    AH ok, so you didn't see it. Gotcha.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I love love love Tolkien's snide little remark of "since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer". Ender Sai, Tolkien has spoken. ;) Brilliant Sir!

I saw one out of three, and HATED it. So unless In The Mood For Love is widely held to be the Matrix Revolutions of the series (though from everything I've heard, its considered the best) I have a solid grasp on it. And yeah, it will never appear in my top ten trilogy or series list!

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't think anyone's saying the tale wasn't one worth telling; they're questioning how good JRR Tolkien was at telling it. That is, the material was good but not best executed.

And I think that's a true argument. I loved reading LOTR until I got into fantasy and then ASOIAF supplanted LOTR as my yearly reading pilgrimage. I've recently re-read a bunch of Joe Abercrombie books, though he tends to focus more on the extraordinary little folk than the constant line of kings (the Fellowship is 1 angel, 4 royals, and 4 hobbits!) and princes.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    See but your description is of another film; hence my comment.

EDIT: Also, a top 10 trilogies list that puts the Hobbit ahead of or instead of Park Chan Wook's Vengeance trilogy is laughable.

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I love love love ASOIAF (and yes, I read it long before the TV series started), but Tolkien is still my master. Even though I don't really like the actual book 'The Hobbit'. My fav is The Silmarillion because (like Tolkien) I prefer history, real or feigned, over allagory.

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I love love love ASOIAF (and yes, I read it long before the TV series started), but Tolkien is still my master. Even though I don't really like the actual book 'The Hobbit'. My fav is The Silmarillion because (like Tolkien) I prefer history, real or feigned, over allagory.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Hahahaha opinions yo. Thats the film I saw!
    And I wouldn't judge someone for doing that. What makes a film good differs in people's minds. My bar for success is "did I enjoy watching it" followed by "will I watch it repeatedly". So you probably wouldn't find a lot of "technically" or "officially" good films there because they are terrible for repeat viewing.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Read the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The first book is The Blade Itself. Thank me afterwards.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    RC-1991 and laurethiel1138 like this.
  21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

You forgot Mabuse.

22. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well I've only seen the first Matrix, and I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies. So I thought it would be stupid of me to judge what I haven't seen. :) And subbing First Class isn't cheating! :p (I haven't seen X3)

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm just going to ignore all the stupid overreactions to my list.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No love for Oliver Stone's Presidents trilogy and Vietnam trilogy, or Polanski's Apartment trilogy?

26. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Lots of arguing going on here :p