main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Fixed.
    And he uses them to see trans-dimensional particles. And 'cause he thinks they are cool.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Shame we have to wait so long for Epic Dragon-ness

[​IMG]

NYCitygurl, Rew, Arawn_Fenn and 4 others like this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You can see Gandalf's ring at the end of ROTK.

Vilya, not Varya.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I hope The Desolation of Smaug is the group trying to figure out how the hell they're going to get off that precipice, and Smaug hunting down that annoying bird that kept tapping on his mountain.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You do know there are stairs on that mountain right? you can clearly see it

Darth-Lando likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why do they carry around rings that they know where forged by a malevolent entity to further its own wicked purposes and work cooperatively with a ring so evil and terrible that they spend an entire saga just trying to destroy it? Wouldn't it stand to reason they should destroy the other rings, too?

7. Paladin307

Paladin307 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    The 3 elven rings were not created by Sauron or touched by him. The majestic and paradise like features of Rivendell and Lorien are due to the work of the Elven rings being used by Elrond and Galadriel. Gandalf's ring enhanced his ability to encourage others. When they destroyed the one ring, these rings lost their power and all that was wrought with that power faded away.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    so wait if sauron had nothing to do with the three rings but he made the 1 ring in secret how can they be dependent on the ring that they didnt know about for power

9. Paladin307

Nov 24, 2004
    Because he taught the elves the necessary lore to make rings in the first place. The elves used that knowledge to make the 3 in secret, but could not do so without using Sauron's knowledge. In this way, Sauron was able to make the one ring that dominated all the other rings. To do this he had to put forth the majority of his power into the ring itself. The idea was that with the one ring on, he would dominate anyone else wearing a ring with the aim of dominating the different races of Middle Earth. He would be able to influence the thoughts and actions of the other people wearing rings. The problem was that when he made the one ring, the elves realized what happened and took the 3 off and hid them until Sauron lost the one ring in the prologue of Fellowship.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    didnt they have the other 16 at that point too? and he was like oh u guys suck give me those back imma give em to the lesser races now

11. Paladin307

Nov 24, 2004
    Ya they had the 9 rings and the 7 of the Dwarves as well. When the Elves took off the rings and hid them, Sauron attacked them and under torture discovered the locations of those rings, but Celebrimbor, creator of the 3(and according to the Dwarves the main Dwarf ring as well and given directly to them without Saurons influence), wouldn't reveal the location of the 3. So Sauron then gave the 9 to men and 7(or 6) to Dwarves. So he got the Nazgul but no other servants. His plan failed.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    what a douche

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Still seems like it would've been more efficient to just destroy them all. Or, you know, not make them in the first place.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Clearly you didn't see Jackass 3D. :p

On a more serious not, I do agree about Hugo. Deserved every award it got that year for effects, cinematography and such.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Saw it at 9 last night and loved it. Sure it was slow at times and not as epic as the LOTR movies but it was perfect. With Peter Jackson and Howard Shore directing and composing there was no way this movie could fail and they didn't disappoint. I found the movie hilarious. I was chuckling at almost everything said and done in the movie. The contract had me stitches. The Prologue was great. The City of Dale and the caves below is the most amazing place in Middle-Earth. Ready for the next one!

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actually your initial statement is entirely true. jackass 3d is wholly enhanced by the effect

if you dont enjoy jackass on some level, you're less than human btw

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love Jackass. Reportedly they used the same cameras for #3 that James Cameron used on Avatar.

As for The Hobbit, I'd say the 3D was about the same level as The Avengers- there, noticeable, but doesn't really add a whole lot.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    jackass is the cinematic distillation of the human spirit

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The 3D wasn't amazing but it had it's moments. The only time it was too noticeable/gimmicky was when some teeth went flying at the camera at some point.

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    in jackass 3d poo comes flying at the camera

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    1 whole year for Part 2, which sucks

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hear hear!

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though, apparently, part 3 will only be half a year's wait.

Out of curiosity, how are dragons portrayed in this franchise? Is Smaug just a powerful beast ala the Balrog or is it intelligent/self-aware? Does he speak? If so, does he do so verbally or mentally?

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Good yo know about Part 3. Powerful beast but intelligent/self-aware but can't speak I think. Been awhile since I read the book so don't hold me to that.