main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ~The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini~ Discussing its literary merits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Nov 2, 2006.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I think we all get like that about subjects that really irritate us.

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    What I hate is when you complain about Inheritance to any fan, they immediately assume that you are jealous that he has a book and you do not. Which is a rather dumb thing to argue with.

3. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    What I hate is threads that imply that anyone who does like the books are idiots. Good bye.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    No one here is implying that anyone is an idiot (and if anyone feels that anyone, including myself, is, please PM me).

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I guess that that was the derailer of the thread. [face_plain]

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Out of morbid curiosity, is there any word on the fourth book? I probably won't read it, but I ran across something about the series, and it got me thinking.

Also, I was on tvtropes.org (Warning: VERY addictive! But awesome) and I found this summary for the series:

Which is pretty much word for word the summary of Star Wars 8-}

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Because I too have a morbid curiosity about the series, I've kept tabs on it (though I haven't read Brisingr, for the sake of my own sanity - I have had every little detail explained it to me by Inheritance-obsessed friends, so I do know what happens). Last I heard, the Great Green Brick has yet to be named and has yet to be given a release date. There was a (pretty useless IMO) chapter entitled "King Cat" released with some new paperback edition of Brisingr (I think), and that's pretty much it.

Oh, and -- Yay, TVTROPES! You awesome, addicting thing. :p

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm quite sure that was on purpose. :p

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, I'm very sure that was on purpose :p

10. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    While I agree that the writing and originality weren't the best, I did like the first two books when I read them. Then he decided to mess up my favorite character (Murtagh), pull a very lame retcon (Eragon's father), and release a book that was a total waste of space and time.

Also, LOL @ that summary.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What was the retcon? I thought his father was the Big Bad's right-hand man.

12. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Nope, it was Brom, it turns out.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh. Uh . . . So I guess he and Murtagh aren't brothers?

14. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Half-brothers. They have the same mom.

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yeah... I was not pleased with the revelation that Brom is Eragon's father. Of course, I haven't read Brisingr, so I can't exactly comment on how it's dealt with/written in the book, but it just seems like backtracking for no apparent reason, except to add more... uh... wangst on Our Hero's part.

It just doesn't seem reasonable from a writing perspective. I don't get it. And it effects the plot... how... exactly? I dunno. *shrug*

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't really have any words, except a request to bring out the head-banging emoticon . . .

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Katara: Sokka, why's your forehead all red?

Sokka: :oops:

^^

This. :p

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    At least with the Brom revelation, it makes the plot ever so slightly different from that of Star Wars! Yay!

20. Mister_Master

Oct 17, 2007
    Brom being Eragon's father was hinted at in the first book though. I should know. I've read it six times. When it was revealed I was like YES I WAS RIGHT!!!

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Rereading's a great way to pick up extra details. Every time I reread a book, I learn something new (and every time I edit something again, I find another typo 8-} ).

22. Mister_Master

Oct 17, 2007
    Despite the flaws I love the series. I can't wait for the fourth book. But I have read them enough times that I have a better understanding of the books. From first glance the books may seem like they are copies, but when you go deeper into the book you see the similarities, but you also see the things that make the books unique.

I do think that a good half of Brisingr could have been cut out, but it was still a great book. At the time that I read it books were taking me two months to get through. I got through that book in three weeks and it was almost two and a half times bigger then anything I was reading. So I say give it a chance. It has some good plot twists, and it is really enjoyable. Also if you want a really good treat I would suggest checking out the sound recordings of the books. Gerard Doyle reads them and he does a fantastic job with the characters. I personally love how he does Saphira. Well I love Saphira anyways.

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocked upon request.

24. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I discovered earlier today while shopping for a nook touch that book 4 has finally been given a release date along with a name and cover art.

[image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jvKTBM5rnws/TjXG53OJHgI/AAAAAAAAAl8/QfeTet4lJIU/s1600/Inheritance.jpg]
    Book Four of the Inheritance Cycle: Inheritance
    Release Date - Nov 8th 2011

Personally I think it is a horrible name, but they don't pay me the big bucks to name books for people. You can find out more information about the book at the official website.

Evil.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That seems . . . quick. You'd think for the last book in a series that was pretty popular, his PR people would've gotten on that.