main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Last Command," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1993]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Kadue, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"The Last Command," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1993]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

70.5%
  2. 9

11.5%
  3. 8

4.0%
  4. 7

4.5%
  5. 6 (Average)

2.5%
  6. 5 (Average)

1.5%
  7. 4

1.0%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA_SITH

YODA_SITH Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    agian It had the same problem with the rest it sounded to good to be true and it wasn't true there are alot of books that beat TTT in my opinion. Thrawn is great and the noghri are to but it's just not as good as a thought it would be but it still gets a 8.

2. LordExar

LordExar Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2003
    Not bad, but not so very good. 7

3. Corran10584

Corran10584 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 8, 2002
    10 - I loved this book, and thought it a fitting end to the best EU series to date. Even though there was so much action going on, I never got lost. The storyline of the Smugglers Alliance throughout this whole series have been really interesting to watch, and Talon Karrde was developed beautiful. The infiltration into Mount Tantiss was exciting, and when I first read it, the shock of seeing Luke's clone was unmeasureable. Mara and Luke interacted wonderfully while making their way together through the forest. One down point was that the end of Thrawn was kinda brief, but it didn't hold this book down in the least. Timothy Zahn = EU God

~Corran

4. ImperialPatriot

ImperialPatriot Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2003
    The Thrawn trilogy, is the epitome of fine SW lit. It allows you to see the hardship suffered by all involved after the fall of the emperor. Even though Thrawn was the finest tacticain the galaxy may have seen, TLC shows us that noone is invincible.. As for the ending, it left us wide open for the Hand of Thrawn anthology. All of these books together allows us to see the Grand Admiral as a whole and not a uniform. I give the books a full; 10:)

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved this book. The culmination of the Thrawn crisis, what it took to have him defeated, the beginning of the next generation of Solos (and the only place where the kids were tolerable. After this, they're obnoxious brats, even at 19 years old), the relationship between Luke and Mara becoming friendship and something a bit more, and especially the Wayland battle!

6. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    This book is amazing! Timothy Zahn is my favorite Star Wars writer, and after the other two books that I loved too, I think that this book is one of the best of all EU!

7. Gross-admiral_Thrawn

Gross-admiral_Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2003
    Nop. It's not getting any better. Thrawn's Trilogy is the BEST of ALL EU, the best SW BOOKS EVER, they are!

Last Command is equal to HttE in it's beauty of ideas and style. It's the Ultimate SW Book.
    It's a totally new look at things. Imperials, albeit being on the "bad" side, could be justful and in the end they are just ordinary people fighting for their ideals (Yes, Thrawn and Pellaeon, yes, Thrawn's death IS a Tragedy). This is a point which radically differs the whole Thrawn Trilogy from other EU stuff. Also TLC is so rich on action and has Thrawn's best battles in it (Fall of Ukio, Coruscant), as well as Mara Jade's final decision and C'Baoth demise (with some of the best replicas of a mad Jedi!).. :D

It really finishes the Thrawn thing in the best possible way. Zahn is a god? Nop. But he is the best writer of SW books, admit it folks.
    Mara Jade and Thrawn. This are the most famous and hailed characters from EU. No comments needed.

TLC rules, Thrawn Trilogy rules. That's it. And it's not getting any better!

8. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Last is best....perfect 10, along with the other books in TTT.

9. XizorReincarnate

XizorReincarnate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 21, 2003
    Ohhh, I loved this book. It left me salivating for more Star Wars books and I rushed out to the book store soon afterwards to pick up the first book of the Jedi Academy trilogy. The Last Command is so awesome and it features one of my favorite lines in the trilogy. "This crazy Jedi's dropping a roof on us!" -Han Solo.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The only reason I give this a 9 is because the end battles mirror the end of ROTJ too closely. I would have preferred a more original conclusion.

11. darthmace7

darthmace7 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 15, 2003
    I loved it. I just wish that Thrawn were still alive, as he is my favorite character in the entire EU. Zahn pulls it off again!

10/10

12. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003

The best of the Thrawn Trilogy, which isn't saying much. The first 2/3 of the book are slow and boring, but the final battle was very well-written and held my interest throughout. I LOVED the battle between Luke, Mara, and C'baoth, especially (reminded me a lot of the Luke/Vader/Palpatine battle in ROTJ), and Thrawn's death at the hands of the Noghri was nicely done.

What I didn't like was Luke giving his father's lightsaber to Mara. Why? He should've given it to Leia!

13. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I give it a 7.

As someone stated before, Zahn wrote himself into a corner in the TTT; the end was incredibly lacklustre. Though it's sort of fitting that someone like Thrawn would go out with a whimper and not bang, I would've preferred something more grandiose.
    And quite a bit of dumb luck and an ending that's a bit too clean downed the score a bit.

14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The First two books were amazing! I can't say the same for this.

I did not like that Thrawn never confronted Luke, Leia and Han. It was like a collsion course without a crash.

I did not like that Mara was the one doing all the fighting with the saber. I like that she killed Luuke but Luke should have taken care of Jorus.

I did not really care for Luuke the CLone. It would have been better to have someone else.

Delta Source was way to predicatable. I knew something was going on with those plants long before Zahn revealed it in the book!

I did love Mara Jade's character in the whole thing.
    I also liked Bel Iblis and Borsk Feyla.

While Zahn made amazing characters he did not really develop too many of his planets. He developed Wayland a little, and Corucant but there were a lot of planets that the heroes visit and that he does not describe.

Seldon

15. Saber_Leader

Saber_Leader Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003

A good end to the series; included many of my favorite characters and was well written.

Would have been a 10, if not for the Luke/Luuke thing. While one of the themes of TTT is clones, I found this to be not-quite-believable, mainly because I doubt Luke's hand could be recovered/found after it's fall on Bespin. Other than that, an excellent book.

16. MrScorpion

MrScorpion Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2004
    The best in the trilogy and Timothy Zahn's best Star Wars book. After Shadows of the Empire I think this is the best!

17. WWE_jedi

WWE_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    i think that thrawn is the best evil genius (except the original palpatine). he knew what to attack and what not o because of ART. his ability to read art was unmatched. He learned all of this from the unknown regoins.

10/10

18. LukeSkiwalker

LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2004
    That one word again, Timothy Zhan!???????????

19. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Actually Timothy is one word
    and Zahn is another
    making a grand total of two words

20. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
  21. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    10 - but the highest mark it could possibly have!
    The whole Thrawn trilogy was amazing, complete, Star Wars, and this may be the best book of the three. I would not hesitate to include just about all of it as canon, and I'm ecstaic the Powers Above have done so a tiny bit.
    Zahn is a great writer; it wouldn't have been a terrible thing if he'd written the original Star Wars.

22. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    7. I found the trilogy to be overrated. It was good, but not that good. Extra point to Last Command because it was my favourite of the series.

wolf

23. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    The greatest story twist to "The Last Command" was that Mara Jade actually got to KILL Luke

Skywalker (the clone of Luke Skywalker).

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I agree with The Gatherer, that was an excellent twist.
    We heard during the entire trilogy KILL LUKE SKYWALKER. It always gets the reader worried that maybe she will. Then she does....but it is LUUKE SKYWALKER.

An all around excellent trilogy.

-Seldon

25. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002

Loved how the the "Anakin Saber" was utilised, and that it was brought back into play. Nice use of connection with the OT. The Luuke clone was cool as well, though I would of been more interesed if C'Boath had been an insane clone of Obi Wan, as originally intented.

The thing that really got me what that I was able to actually imagine all the scenes being played out in my head with such clarity, down the to way Lucas would of shot it. Even when I read the comic version I was stoked to see that Mara, Talon Karde and other characters were very similar to how I envisioned them.

This was one of the books that brought me back to following SW in more than just a passing phase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.