main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Movie and Television Character Draft 2: Census and Games' Bogus Journey [Shadow_of_Durron wins!]

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    He prolly got baned for sassing off.

2. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    That's true. I report him as much as I can.

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    *reports Chim*

4. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Nothing, eh? That's a little anti-climatic for a final. Ah well, I'll try to have something up for tomorrow.

5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    That's what she said.

HEYO!

6. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Shurron is gone, my Godot act only works in counter, and I've been too busy with other stuff myself to really present an argument.

7. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    This is, power wise, in favor of Shirley. I cannot see any way that the other team can pull it out against them. They have solid cohesion, nice leadership, and Mathematics does have them beat in that area, but they're going to fall short on the power front. Every ranger is inferior, the beast, the magic, and the tech as well. Though I would absolutely love to hear his team argument, I'm giving it to him anyway. I vote for Shirley.

Not great reasoning for the championship round, but that's the way I feel about it.

8. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Hold right there. Gamera is DEFINITELY NOT Inferior to Mothra. :mad:

9. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Oh, I beg to differ, sir. I. Beg. To. Differ.

... Of course, that's definitely something I don't have time to get into right now. Real classic of a beastie battle, I must say. I'd love to see that movie. They should make it. Mothra would win, though. She's teh bestest.

And you and me both, EF. I was so hoping someone would take me to teams, just so I could lay everything out there. Would've been a lot of fun.

But anyways, whichever way this goes, great match, BaSSiL.

10. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Finally got enough free time to put this thing together. Alrighty then, let's do it.

(1) Captain Tenneal and the Dream Warriors vs.(2) Mathematics of Wonton Burrito Meals

Willow Rosenberg (Buffy/Angel), Mothra, Red Ranger (Power Rangers) [Conner McKnight], Minerva McGonagall (Harry Potter), Green Ranger (Power Rangers) [Cam Watanabe], Frozone (The Incredibles), White Ranger (Power Rangers) [Trent Mercer], Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek), Pink Ranger (Power Rangers) [Vida Rocca], Lucian (Underworld)

vs.

Gamera, Peter Petrelli (Heroes), Black Ranger (Power Rangers) [Tommy Oliver], Michael Corvin (Underworld), Gabe Law (The One), Tron (Tron), Dash (The Incredibles), Violet (The Incredibles), Yellow Ranger (Power Rangers) [Chip Thorn], Brock Samson (Venture Bros.)

Overall Power

Ok, the separation between the two beasts isn't something I think I really have to get into. It's quite even IMO, and while both beasts will probably start out against each other, I think there's enough pure power on either side for other fighters to help out their respective beasties. I suppose if I had to, I might give a small edge to Mothra. Nothing major though. At the top, you've got amped up Pete against Willow. Great fight, and it brings to mind whether or not Peter would absorb Willow's mental powers. He can already read minds, but that doesn't mean he can protect himself against mental assaults and mind control. Still, he'll be moving so fast (thanks to the amp up) that it'll be pretty difficult for even someone as powerful as Willow to keep track of him. Fairly even with the top two, but as we move down the line, we can see an advantage. I'll do a quick individual breakdown that includes prep, and break it down into advantages I think we'll see. This isn't in any order of power btw.

Mothra => Gamera
    Willow = Peter
    Conner > Tommy
    Lucian => Michael
    Picard = Brock
    Trent > Gabe
    Vida = Chip
    Cam => Tron
    McGonagall >>> Violet
    Frozone >> Dash

That's more or less the way I see it. Of course, it'll look differently depending on how you break it down, but the results aren't likely to chance. Top to bottom, the Warriors just have a stronger squad without many weaknesses at all.

Advantage: Warriors

Cohesion/Leadership/Strategy

At one end, we've got Picard leading the way, with some probably secondary help from McGonagall and to a lesser degree, Willow and Frozone. At the other side, Tommy is the definite leader, with Brock right there with him. I like the leadership combo for Burritos a little more personally, but it's fairly close. Strategy is pretty even too, mainly coming from the same guys again. I think I still like Burritos by a small margin in that category as well. Cohesion is once again a toss-up. Obviously, with both teams being hero squads and having psychic beasts, they're going to work fine together. Connections-wise, the Warriors have 4 rangers, although Trent and Conner are the only ones who really know each other. The Burritos have the Incredible kids. Seems perfectly even to me.

Advantage: Burritos (small)

Prep/X-factors

Obviously Peter's the major one, but he's been covered in overall power. Still, what powers are on the Warriors that he could possibly absorb? I mentioned Willow's mental control powers, although I'm not sure how effective Peter could become with them in the midst of battle, even if he could get them. He'd get Frozone's ice powers, which would be pretty sweet, and only help to even the battle against Willow, and possibly give him the edge. Big preps on the Warriors as to what they can bring to battle would be all of the Rangers and then Picard. Some very formidable tech there, especially coming from Cam. For the Burritos, I'd say the two Rangers, Tron, and possibly Brock. I think the edge goes to the Warriors there. You've still got to take Willow into account though. She's instilled more power into other characters on her (namely Buffy) show countless

11. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Willow's powers are all from magic, no queston that Peter can't copy them in my opinion.

Lucian => Michael
    Picard = Brock

Why is Lucian getting a slight edge over Michael? I think Michael is clearly superior. And Brock would own the pants off of Picard.

Also, there's a connection with Connor and Trent, and Cam(They have worked directly with one another), but I am not sure they have done a Mystic/Dino or a Mystic/Ninja crossover, so I agree about no connection with Vida.

It's actually a bit closer than I was giving it credit for before. I think this would be an enjoyable fight to watch.

12. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Sweet! Good game, dude. As always.

Though... man... I kinda hate to take issue with anything now, after I just won, but...

Willow = Peter

Errr... no. Not really. I know I laid out a whole mess of stuff she was capable of, and I kind of just scratched the surface with all that. Her high-end feats pretty much dwarf Peter's in terms of sheer power and impressiveness. And she simply has a whole helluva lot more of them. He can't even come close to touching her experience, and as good of a variety of powers he might have, he's, again, not even close to her in that respect. Anything he can do, she can do just as well, or better. Some of them much better. And that's without prep. With prep, with her resources, with countless magical artifacts/trinkets/ingredients to work with, with all the myriad of crazy rituals she can perform to accomplish... uh... damn near anything you might be able to think of, her value goes through the roof.

I'm basically just sayin' this because I want to be sure that it's clear for when I judge the next one. I wouldn't count on Peter being = Willow were I a GM. That ain't happening. Not even season 2 Peter.

And Picard's a far better tactician than Tommy. Sure, Tommy would own him in a fight, but in the role of being a planner and whatnot, Picard is clearly better. Not that Tommy isn't a great leader himself. He's awesome. But I do think Picard got a bit dissed there by the both of you.

And yeah, Cam's got great Ranger tech, but no one gave any thought as to what he might be able to do if he got his hands on some Trek tech? ;) And yeah, Vida's the only one that has no connection to the other Rangers, but as the numerous crossovers have shown, Rangers that have known eachother for all of ten minutes can drop right into a combat groove and show remarkable cohesion. This happens every time. And Vida's got 24 hours. She'd be more than cohesive enough.

And... bleh. Sorry. :p It's just that I so wanted to get a proper team post up on this one. I just can't help myself. I have all these fun nuggets (and a bunch more on top of this) that I wasn't able to get out there. I'm constipated with them.

Anyhoo, again, awesome match, BaSSiL.

13. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Anything he can do, she can do just as well, or better.

I didn't find anything and don't remember you mentioning anything that would tell me she'd be nearly as fast as Dash, nor as strong as Peter is in flight. That played a big part.

14. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Okay, fine, sorry. I stand corrected. Super running speed is probably one of the few things she's never displayed. Fine. Not like she needs it. But Peter still has to use his powers one at a time. She can also fly, and she can use super strength that's at least on par with Niki's, and she's not limited to using them one at a time. And her teleporting would probably be mighty useful there, no?

And she has previous experience fighting things (or observing fights with them) that are super strong, things that can fly, things that can turn invisible, have telekinesis, telepathy, energy blasts, super speed, regen, etc, etc. She's already seen everything that Peter can do, and then a whole bunch more on top of that. Who or what has Peter ever faced that compares to Willow?

See, she can prepare for him. He has his show powers, and now speed and shields. Pretty cut and dry for her. So how is he going to prepare for her? What extra tricks does he have up his sleeve? Anything? His boyish good looks? Oh, wait, that wouldn't work on her. :p Meanwhile, as I stated, she has a whole mess of fun artifacts and stuff to work with to help her accomplish things she wouldn't be capable of straight up. Stuff Peter (or anyone else on his squad) is going to be hard-pressed to try and counter.

Oh, and she's a good deal smarter than he is. One of the smartest characters on the list, actually. Besides being a magical genius, she's an expert in computers, she's used her vast knowledge in chemistry to solve certain problems during the period where she was trying to go cold turkey with the magic, and she also has enough technical know-how to be able to reprogram and perform maintenance on Warren Mears' extremely high-tech Buffy bot.

And... meh. I'd actually tend to think that Conner would want to be the one to match up against Peter. :p

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    The only thing I ever said about Picard is that Brock would own the pants off of him. Probably with the pants off of him. And there is just absolutely nothing you can say that would change my mind about that.

And... meh. I'd actually tend to think that Conner would want to be the one to match up against Peter.

Also, that. Really, Captain Tenneal has two characters that need Peter's attention desperately, and as far as I know he's never run into Jamie.

16. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    As far as artifacts she could bring... well, you have mentioned them before. I think. I couldn't find anything specific on them that would enhance her like you say though, and you weren't around. And something like that isn't exactly easy to rout through YT for, so short of watching every season of Buffy, I didn't see any way to figure out what exactly they might do. I mean, I've seen her enhance others in speed/strength/other stuff, and that's why I mentioned that in the judgment, but never herself with any magical objects. Ya know?

Peter has used two of his powers at the same time before. He's used TK while invisible. I don't remember it ever being mentioned that he can only use one of his powers at a time. Situation's just never come up.

As far as the speed, well that plays a fairly sizable role in a 1v1 fight IMO, were they to have one. I've seen Buffy display a lot of offensive power, but Peter's barely visible when he goes crazy like he does. He's got TK to combat her own (albeit not as strong), and if he goes into the sky, well, we've seen the way Nathan blasts off into the sky. Moves at a pretty solid rate. The shielding he would gain from Violet would protect against a lot of Willow's

Don't mistake me though, I'm not saying I think Peter would take Willow in a 1v1 fight. It'd be close though, with Peter's extra enhancements, and it certainly wouldn't be any blowout. Or maybe it would. EF mentioned that Peter probably couldn't copy Willow because what she does it learned magic. That would mean he couldn't copy her mental powers, which would mean she could just mentally control him. Eh, then it'd be a blowout. Then again, I'm not sure there are more than a dozen characters who could resist that sort of a mental attack.

I suppose I could've made it =>. Whatever, not really all too important.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So that's that, huh? Shurron won?

Ok. I'll let Tyi promote him to VIP.

We can discuss changes, and I believe this means the Video Game Draft can start.

18. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
  19. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    We have Blade in this draft, so why not add other comic book characters that have movies. And if we do due this we can just use there movie info as canon.

I also say we can add The Haitian from heroes, he is a good fighter and his power would really affect other super heroes making team battles and one on ones really interesting.

I still think Clark from smallville should be put into this. He isn't invincible when fighting against other strong competitors as seen when the escaped phantoms all hurt him. We could also through in the Green Arrow

Also I guess Meteor Man

So what about adding locations too maybe

20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    A bunch of wizards from Harry Potter, including Sirius Black and Lestrange.

And the two guys from Blades of Glory.

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Congrats, Shurron. And thanks for doing a fine job O hostin', Inty.

can't wait for the next.

22. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Congrats Durron.

What about adding the Transformers to the draft also

23. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    The Transformers would be pretty powerful, but yeah, why not add a few.

What about the Beast List though? Do we want that again?

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd like to keep the Beast list. I thought it worked well. I'd like to add some Transformers, too. As well as some more Harry Potter folks, and I'm sure there's a ton of other people to add. And we've got a while to work on it!

25. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, I suppose some of the Transformers could work (man that movie sucked, though), and sure some more Harry Potter folks. Personally, I'd limit the HP additions to Lucious Malfoy, Sirius and Bellatrix. Beyond that, I think it'd start to get too repetitive, as the difference between them, in terms of skill and different specialties, is fairly limited.

Oh, and for those interested, the VGD should be up and running on Friday. For a few minutes I almost was going to start it tomorrow, but then I realized which Thursday it is tomorrow. I'm dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.