main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The New Jedi Order - Vector Prime...***BOOK SPOILERS INSIDE***

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Darth_Myles, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Myles

Darth_Myles Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    Okay, so Greedo and Zam Holly got me a book for my birthday. It's Vector Prime by R.A. Salvatore, the first book in the "New Jedi Order" series. The book was great up until the point on Sernpidal where Chewbacca dies... After I picked the book up out of the garbage and continued to read it, I was a little miffed...

Okay so Obi Wan & Yoda die in the trilogy, but what gives this guy the right to kill Chewie in some damn book? That particular point in the book REALLY ruined it for me. Chewie didn't have a whole lot of parts in the book leading up to that point, and then all of the sudden BAM...our hairy friend is dead. Okay so maybe he DID die saving Han's son, but c'mon.

Am I COMPLETELY off my rocker here or did this severly upset anyone else? I kept holding out hope that Han would make it back to Sernpidal by the end of the book and that somehow, someway, Chewie had managed to stay alive, but he didn't. I am seriously considering not even finishing the series at this point. Someone give me a reason to continue reading.

2. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    OK, breathe. Now, I read an interview with Bob Salvatore and it was already decided that Chewie was going to be killed off. He asked to write the book so he could handle it as best as possible. My understanding was this was a decision by LFL.

I was ticked too when I read it. If you go back in the Humor section, there are some captions (and I forget which pics there are with) that are to the effect of "Salvatore . . . this one's for Chewie".

Unfortunately, the OT characters are going to have to die at some point. Even Yoda died.

It doesn't make reading Vector Prime any easier. If that got you, then you might not want to read the rest of the NJO series.

3. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I'm not dead. I'm still here. :p

Yeah, I was pretty pissed too. More than just the death of Chewbacca was Salvatore's writing style. To me, it was not as engaging as the next two authors, Stackpole and Luceno. Continue reading, at least to me, it gets better.

4. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    The point of that happening in the first book was to set the tone that "Nobody is safe." We all pretty much read the past books knowing that the majority of people had plot immunity. One of the purposes of this series is to seriously disrupt the galaxy and create future story options...you can only have so many Imperial attempts to reclaim power and sudden galaxy wide threats pop up from nowhere before people get sick of things.

So, to paraphrase Captain Jack Sparrow..."Welcome to the the NJO luv !" And yes, it gets worse. Other characters will die (you may or may not care depending on what books you've read) and many a planet will be devastated in this war.

5. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    After how many pages and 19 books, I really can now say with all honesty I hated this series. I'd rate it up there with The Black Fleet Crisis. [face_plain]

Bring back Wraith Squadron!!! :D

6. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    hey void at some point either this weekend or next weekend can I pick up some more of the books from you right after vector prime. So that my brother and i may partake in the great star wars EU.

7. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    Okay now I want to know...who else dies...

/me goes online and look's for some cheap air fares to Salvatore's neighborhood, and then loads up his guns..... :D

8. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Probably buddy.

Future deaths are some of the most major plot points, I'd hate for anybody to ruin it for you.

9. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    DAMMIT....I WANT TO KNOW...no...screw that I NEED TO KNOW...

10. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    OPPM sucks...tell me...

WAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:_|

11. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Well I'm not putting it in this thread, it'll be in a PM.

But I'm really telling you man, it'll ruin alot for you.

12. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    Just tell me it isn't Han, Leia, or Luke....oh wait crap...I bet it's Luke...send me the PM...

13. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    okay...so now which book should I read next. At the end of Vector Prime, it says that the next book in the series is, "Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial" but in the front cover of the book it shows a timeline, and the next book it shows is, "Dark Tide I: Onslaught" HELP!!!

14. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I checked, Dark Tide I is the next.

PM sent.

15. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Whoa, dude, relax. It's an exciting series that I enjoyed (mostly). THere are some bad parts to it, in terms of the writing. ANd some terrible events that take place. THat's the point of it, it's supposed to be a challenge to every character to simply survive, let alone to do so without completely losing themselves in the process. If you want all happy-happy, then no NJO isn't for you. But it is an intellectually stimulating and exciting series

16. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    But it is an intellectually stimulating and exciting series

Or as I like to put it "Just get to the ****ing point you miserable money hungry writers! Curse you, LFL, curse you!" :mad:

It is a good series and there are good books in it. I just didn't like what happened to the Star Wars Universe due to the Yuuzhan Vong. I REALLY could have done without them.

17. Darth_Myles

Aug 1, 2002
    I know...I know....I just hate it when heroes die...

18. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Well, that's the thing about being a hero, it's a dangerous job

19. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Void put it right, someone had to die... It couldn't have been Han-Leia & the kids, NO ONE WOULD HAVE CONTINUED, and it couldn't be Luke, because the whole galaxy would have been on a mission to skim Lucas alive. However, it needed to be someone that everyone was going to place emotional value in, so Lando is definitely out, as is Mara, Talon, Wedge, etc... None of them hold the same value as Chewie, and droids can be rebuilt, so that would have been pointless. I knew walking in to this series that someone was gonna have to die to keep it going, used the previous deductions to figure out who it was gonna be. Can you think of another character who's death was gonna spawn the treasure of plot points that Chewie's did across the first 1/2 of the NJO?

So, take heart in the fact that Chewie's death had to come so that we could experience true mourning in the SW universe. Yeah, Yoda died, but he was old. Ben died, but we didn't really get to know him. And Vader died in order to become Amakin Sjywalker once more and cross back over into the light. There was no mourning for those deaths, but we had real grief for Chewie.

Outside of Destiny's Way I could find enjoyable things in every novel (I could also find flaws, but that's the nature of the SW universe for real fans - no one can match what you have your mind).

20. Toasty_McGrath

Toasty_McGrath Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2004
    Don't worry. I had a friend that vowed to never read a star wars book again after thery killed off a specific young jedi knight halfway into the series.

21. jada_marnew

Feb 22, 2003
    ^Dude! Spoiler! Oh wait, the thread says spoilers.

nevermind, ignore the old woman 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.