main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY the new 'Next Meeting?' thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bunny, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunny

Bunny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    The old one is nearing 100 posts, so I'm starting this over. LOL
    Anyway, OK, so we seriously need to decide on a meeting place. It's obvious that not everyone is going to be able to come for various reasons, so we need to try and accomodate as many as possible. And we have to find an indoors place soon because it's 90 degrees outside and it's going to be hard to enjoy ourselves if we're all slowly being broiled. And I doubt many of us will be willing to sit in Cherokee park in the middle of winter. :)
    Someone suggested having additional meetings in the afternoon, and I like that because I'd much prefer to meet in the afternoon, however, I'm really not in favour of splitting up the group. You know? I'd really like for all of us (as many as possible) to get together in one place as often as possible. I wish we could've done something for the 4th of July, but it didn't even dawn on me until last night. Oh well. Next year for that.
    Basically, I've been online and on the phone all day trying to find meeting places and I found the perfect place... sadly it's rather... um... pricey. :[face_sigh]: So that's out. Unless we wanted to takes monthly dues. We're going to need a place that will accomodate about 30-50 people right? Sheesh this is difficult. Since L-ville is a relatively small city, we don't have a good community centre that hosts free (or really cheap) meeting places. So, I think that for the next meeting, which I'm assuming is still on the 20th (or has that been changed?), will either have to be at the Waterfront or back in the park.
    One of the things that we'll have to discuss is where we can find a permanent meeting place - we have to find one otherwise there's really no point in meeting at all because we'll never be able to establish ourselves as a 'real' fan force.
    I don't mean to sound mean or pushy but I really want to get this thing off the ground and running! It's been a dream of mine to hang out with other Star Wars nerds! :D
    Since all of the games and stuff are at the Waerfront on the 20th, I guess the best choice at the moment is back at Cherokee... which kinda sucks because it's hot and I have allergies. LOL! But that's OK, I'll suffer for you all! ;)

2. Darth_Askew

Darth_Askew Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    You might try one of the local banks like Republic or Stockyards. They've got meeting rooms and are willing to loan them out to groups (especially if they're customers).

3. son_of_calrissian

son_of_calrissian Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Just let me know the when and where. Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a bit with family things, but I'm back now and looking forward to the next meeting.

4. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Well at our last meeting, we had tables that were pretty shady, underneath the trees...It really wasnt that bad, especially in the evening, and since the meeting is scheduled for 7 pm, the heat shouldnt be too much of a problem. I think cherokee would be a better idea, since we wont have to pay for parking and we will avoid all the commotion that usually comes along with enthusiastic riverbats fans. hehe ;)
    Also, the waterfront doesnt really have that many shady places where we could meet, so I think our best bet would be cherokee park. That's just my 2 cent on the whole situation~ :)

5. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Alrighty, as long as Cherokee is okay for everyone it sounds fine to me. If there aren't any major objections over the weekend I'll let Sebulba know so we can change our posting on the main page.

6. CreatureCreator

CreatureCreator Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 2001
    What if it rains?

7. oggiebendoggie2001

oggiebendoggie2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    There's a big paviliion at Hogan's Fountain and at Big Rock. I know the pavilion at Big Rock can be reserved by calling Metro Parks. I think it can be reserved for free, but I can't swear to it.

It's a really nice paviliion - in fact, that's where my tai chi class used to meet. I think some of them still do. We affectionately call the paviliion the "Tai Chi Palace". It would certainly do in the event of rain.

8. obi-wan-bartak

obi-wan-bartak Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    There is big lounge area at horrigan hall at bellarmine university, im sure we all could fit in there, the meeting rooms cost money, not sure how much though. We do need a permanent site for meetings, and maybe elect some officers for the meetings too. A permanent site would be good, especially for people without internet access, and it would be less stressfil for people, knowing where the meeting would take place, and have them like on the third saturday of each month, or a certain date each month. See ya obi-wan-bartak.

9. Bunny

Bunny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    OK, well, my grandmother suggested some Unitarian church, she said they allow meetings in the basement. ::shrugs:: I'll look into it tomorrow, I'm not overly fond of the idea of meeting at a church, but indoors and permanent is nice, and I know that there is a lesbian support group that meets there so they are open to diversity. I'll phone them and ask tomorrow.
    For now, Cherokee park is A-OK with me! :) Are we doing another cook out thing, or bringing snacks or just bringing our fine, funky selves?
    I know that I'd like everyone to bring lots of ideas for the website!! We've got some already and I love the idea of the flash intro, Zam!
    Electing officers? LOL! That sounds like fun! We can have our own Jedi Council ;)

10. obi-wan-bartak

obi-wan-bartak Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    arent we all in the jedi council on fanforce.net? lol good luck with the website!!! :)

11. Jedi_AzizoRho

Jedi_AzizoRho Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    Have you tried any of the local Government centers? The one on Outer Loop has allowed groups to meet on the weekend in the various Courtrooms for free. You have to schedule a time in advance, but that hasn't been a problem. They ask that you leave the room in good condition, but that isn't a challenge. A group I was in used to meet there. I'll post the name of the person to contact. These "meeting" rooms are one of the best kept secrets in the city.

12. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    WEll, if it rains at Cherokee, there is a *giant* gazebo , like we mentioned last time, so really its not too much of a problem for us to meet at Cherokee, rain or shine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.