main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL The Official AMC South Barrington Theater Line Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JodoKast74, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Man, that topic is a mouthful..

Anyhoo, with the release of the 'Clone War' trailer, the final run till opening day has arrived. With that, I'm starting this thread to get people excited about our satellite line-up at the AMC theater in South Barrington, located at I-90 and Barrington Road. Yes, the McClurg Court 'liners' are the originals but with the growing interest in Star Wars and Chicago Force, we are spreading out and landing our troops into the suburbs.

JediJeff13 and myself will be the 'line captains' for the AMC line-up for Chicago Force and anyone else that wants to share in the experience and fun of waiting for "Attack of the Clones". Although I don't have specific details yet for the line, Jeff or myself will update when more info becomes available. Although I'm doing this for free, JediJeff may ask for your collection for a spot in the line.

With that, feel free to post your comments and questions here.

Mark

2. Soulraven

Soulraven Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    I'll throw my lot in with ye.

Living in Ottawa and having a 2.5 hour commute will prevent any quick trips to the house, but I have two weeks of vacation in my pocket, and I'm not afraid to use it.

3. BASSOFeeSH

BASSOFeeSH Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2000
    Hey guys.

Any news on if the tickets will go on sale again exactly one week in advance?

Back in '99 I was back my the first exit doors. Fun time!

4. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    I was there the week before, also, but I was about #150 in line. The sales should be the same but people I've talked to at the theater have no specifics yet.

Mark

5. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    I had no idea that AMC South Barington had digital projection!!

Does anyone know how many screen have this?

I'll have to make sure & ask for tickets to THAT theatre.

6. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I think they only have it in one, or atleast that was all they had for final fantasy. I'm sure it will be used during the midnight show.

7. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    Speaking of Digital Projection. Has anyone seen the poll on the main page? I cannot believe people are actually voting to pay more money to see it this way. Especially since digital projection means to put thousands of projectionists out of work. Sometimes technology is not the greatest thing we think it is. ...and now will Michael Moore please get out of my mind? Thank you.

8. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    In 1999 there were 4 midnight shows I think. That's what I meant by making sure I ask for the right theatre.

9. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I did see the digital system and didn't feel it was that much better than seeing a new print on a regular projector, of course I'm the type of guy who still listens to records.

10. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    Vinyl is cool! D.J.s depend on it daily. :D

11. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I saw Monsters, Inc. at South Barrington 30 and wasn't that impressed. There were times I could see the individual pixels. It made me feel like I was watching a big TV set rather than a film.

Phil

12. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    I ain't fussy and I'll see it on a regular screen. Probably after the lines have died down I'll go back and see it in digital.

13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I've already planned on seeing AOTC at midnight there! :) Glad there'll be others of you! :)

BTW, what time in the morning did you get there the day they started selling advance tickets? Also, what time did you get there the night of the midnight showing? My friends and I were planning like around 6:00 PM, is that about a good time or not?

14. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    I was there at 7:00 am, the earliest they allowed anyone in, to purchase tix. Since I worked late the day it opened, I didn't arrive till 9:00pm but there wasn't much of a line at that point. At 10:00, they let us in and we just sat back and waited for the magic to start.(Well, except for Jar Jar).

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Cool, I'll prolly be there around 6:45 to buy tix and around 8 for the movie. :D

Where did people line up for the movie? Inside? If so, where? Outside? If so, where?

16. dstagl

dstagl Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2002
    Jeez, I remember waiting for the midnight show at AMC for Episode 1, and I don't think I'm going to do that again. Right now I'm planning on skipping the 16th, and I think I'm going to take off all day on Friday to spend some time at the theatre. I say that now, though. My best friend camped out for tickets last time, but alas he's up in Milwaukee now and will be forced to watch it up there. Maybe I'll have to tag along with some of you guys.

I hope EPII turns out a little better than EPI, and by all indications I think it will be. My wife is going to be out of town opening weekend so there will be nobody to keep my viewings in check... :)

Dave

17. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    Yeah, I think I lined up aroung 7ish for the midnight show. There were less than 10 people in line at the time.

Of course there were 12 of us...

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    ...Then I'll be there at 6. :D

Could someone please answer these questions (sorry for being a squeaky wheel)?

Where did people line up for the movie? Inside? If so, where? Outside? If so, where?

19. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Allrighty there, sithy man. I arrived at the theater at around 9pm. When I arrived, there must have been about 300 people there but not really any organization of a line. They just were waiting just outside the front doors. There may have been a line around the corner, but it seemed to be just a mess. At 10:00, they opened the doors and we filed in, grabbing whichever screens were less empty. I didn't get the digital screening but to me, it's not that big of a deal. But to answer the question, everyone crowded around RIGHT outside the front doors.

Mark

20. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    I don't think that's how it went down.

There was more than one line if I remember correctly, & you only got to go into the theatre you had tickets for. Only one was let in at a time.

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    LOL, now *this* is interesting. ;)

Line or no line, that IS the question! :p

22. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    I got there and I just piled in with everyone else at 9:00, then they opened doors on either side to let people in. At least that's my recollection. Course, I'm feeling my age :)

23. dstagl

dstagl Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2002
    I remember how it worked because I was so impressed at how they had it together.

They had lines setup outside the theatre as in outdoors--snakes and all--with a different line for each theatre. At AMC, 14, 15, 16, and 17 are the ones you want because they are the biggest. The DLP is in 16 or 17, and I believe it's 17. There was NO DLP showing at the time because they didn't get it installed until 2000--parenthetically , I am a movie nut and over at AMC 1-2 a week it seems, although not as much lately since there hasn't been much out. Anyways....

We showed up about 9pm, and I remember the people right in front of us had Star Wars Trival Pursuit and I was playing with them which was their mistake because I don't think they were very big fans--it was still a fun way to pass the time. They opened doors around 10 I think and everyone filed into their theatre. They were checking tickets at the door and at the theatre itself.

I was impressed because typically AMC doesn't have it together, but for Star Wars they were ready. They even had signs in the box office lobby telling which theatre each showing was in. I really hope they do this again because typically they only list whether it is DLP or not. For example, I had figured out exactly when to go see E.T. so that I could watch it in their big theatre yesterday, and when I got there I found out it had been moved to a smaller theater in favor of Blade II and cries of blasphemy would not get them to move it back. Ever since Woodfield 1 & 2 closed down, AMC has been THE place to check out a movie. McClurg never overly impressed me.

I would be happy to lineup early with people on opening night, I just don't think I'll camp out for tickets like many people did last time. There were plenty of them available. They had the midnight showing on every screen I remember.

I don't know how it's going to work if EP2 is coming out at midnight on the 15th or is it coming out during the day on the 16th. That's what I'm curious about. The release date IS the 16th, not Friday the 17th so my guess is it will be earlier than midnight because then that would be the 17th and a day late....

Dave

24. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    They actually make a SW trivial pursuit? Cool!

25. dstagl

dstagl Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2002
    Yeah, but SW Trival Pursuit is very easy especially if you've seen the films. Well, maybe not that easy, but I find it very easy. The questions are like: What is the name of the ice planet in The Empire Strikes Back? Or what does AT-AT stand for? etc. etc. Pretty basic stuff. Occaisionally there is a question in there that is interesting, but pretty simple. If you want challenging trivia you should look at the Insiders Guide computer programs. They get into the more obscure trivia.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.