main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *Official* Art Challenge . . Has Been Reborn!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TheBalinakaBaroness, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper666

Trooper666 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Sorry guys, didnt mean to offend any one. For those of you who would like to see my weeks contri, please email me with your request. Again, sorry!

and for those of you shaking your head, it's really not vulgar. REALLY!
    CJ

2. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Corellian_Rogue - very cute picture! funny.

Looks like the horse caption is pretty popular. That was the one I was going to do, but doesn't look like that is going to happen. I was going to draw the General from A New Hope (dodanna? rieeken? i can't remember, but the older bearded guy) and luke in flight suit, both standing on the deck of some rebel transport in front of a huge viewport looking out to space. Through the window you can see Yavin and the Deathstar. Next to the deathstar is a horribly huge, metal, goofy looking space-ship version of the Trojan Horse. The General looks exasperated as Luke tries to explain: "Use the Force? I thought you said Horse!"

ah ha ha. okay. lame, I know. See, this was what was fun about being a lead artist. I could sit around all day thinking up lame ideas like this, and make other people draw them! ;)

Anyway. Looks like the lazy hazy days of summer are over for me. I am going to be swamped for the next several weeks. I have several projects to try to juggle. This is a good thing! I'll still be around, but I might not have much time to actually draw anything, since all drawing time is now spoken for! Hooray.

~Bar

3. Trooper666

Trooper666 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    Ok here's my second try at this...a little less risque this time...guess everyone has to test the boundries once, huh?

imagine this is an advertisement.
    http://www.geocities.com/bizarresmiley2002/reallybadfeeling2.html

4. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Trooper! hee hee... like the Tarkin ad. that actually gives me an idea for a future Challenge topic! (no, not the Marvels of Bran....)

Well, guess it's Friday. Time for a new topic. Sorry I've been slackin' on the Archiving bit. I should have some time Sunday to take care of it.

Another big thanks to Kongzilla for this week's topic. And without further adieu:

Non-Space Transport
    Due Sept 13

Draw your favorite Non-Space transport - Pretty much self explanatory, I guess. Any vehicle or animal that cannot fly in space. Landspeeders, AT-ATs, TaunTauns, Yoda's flying chair or something out of your own imagination. And of course, feel free to embellish with backgrounds, characters, etc.

5. padawangrasshopper

padawangrasshopper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    K?Lj|

takin' a break from work to put in my ol' lame o' two scents! [face_laugh]

Odj-Cool. Like the perspective, keeps the viewer wondering what the heck the other guy is really thinking.

Obiahn- Way too funny man! Especially love the Dagobah scene. Love the disgusted expression on Yoda's face! The drawings rock also, of course!

Corellian_Rogue- another funny one! Love that look on both their faces, and also well drawn!

Trooper- definitely gotta e-mail you to see your other pick. I'm not that easily offended! [face_devil] As usual, another great piece with the Muffin Tarkin! With the look on his face, he better start eating more his own product! [face_laugh]

Baroness-Ahh, dear Baroness, you disappoint me! Depriving your loyal subjects of the glory of your art! For shame! Yeah, as if I should talk! Congratulations on being swamped! Hope they are some cool projects. Would love to hear about what you're working on.

Jabachile- Although it's been awhile already, welcome back from vacation and happy belated birthday!

Well, gotta get back to work! Aloha y'all!

Pad G

6. obihahn

obihahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    Huh?!
    Where is everybody's artwork?
    Weren't there some more people around this boards? :(
    But all who participated did a great job (even with the nudity pieces, I guess... :D )

Ooooh, new topic. And due to that, it'll only be these two caption cartoons. I said I was gonna do all four of them...I lied. ;)

Aah, vehicles. Tough. But cool!
    Starting to work on it right away...

7. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    Here's my coruscant run-around:

[image=http://iyidin.tripod.com/car_concept.txt]

Perspective is way off, design non existant, but it almost looks like the Doug Chiang/Feng Zhu/Seung Ho style I was going for in places...

Sketched in pencil, then drawn with a fine tip pen and shaded with a marker (only have a one so the contrast isn't that great). Done on some printer paper.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Iyidin_Kyeimo, it looks good! You definitely captured Chiang's style. Who cares if the design is non-existant. It still looks good. I like it.

9. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Iyidin_Kyeimo - great transport. i am hopelessly inept at drawing machine type things, so I am always greatly impressed by those who can. I like your run-around. Nice job with the markers. I would love to see how you envisioned it colored.

Obihahn - Hey, at least you did TWO entries. I didn't even do one. oops.

<<Where is everybody's artwork? >>

So I've been thinking about this for the past couple weeks. There's been a huge drop-off in entries lately, and as easy as it would be to blame myself for it, I'm figuring people are busy. School's started. Jobs are picking up. Basically summer is over.

So my first thought was to finish out September with weekly Challenges, and then starting October, turn it into a Monthly Challenge. Give us plenty of time to do something, fit it in here and there as schedules permit. The Challenges would be broad enough, that if you had time, you could do several within the month's theme, or you would have time to check out the Art Class and complete an entry over there.

Here's where I want some feedback. Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Is a month too long? People may just tend to forget about it if there isn't the weekly pressure involved. Or if you hate the topic, it's a whole month until the next one. The other alternative is to make it biweekly - each challenge lasts for two weeks.

What do y'all think?
    Thanks!
    ~Baroness

10. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Let's just keep weekly. Though some I don't have time to do, it's nice to catch once in a while. Sort of a thing each week to fall into away from the "real world" ;)

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The month will be good for me becasue between band, school and work...I have hardly any time during the week and my weekends are all shot. But that's just my opinion.

12. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    I say let's keep it weekly, for those who do have the time.
    Like Jabachile said, it's cool if the opportunity's there, and you can just drop by, check the new topic and decide if you can take some time off to participate.

Oh, and here's my entry:
    Boarding an AT-AT
    I'm sorry about the size, it's much larger originally, but the option "actual size" in my site-builder program makes it way too big, I'm afraid.

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, I guess you're right about the weekly thing. I guess I'll just have to pick and choose from now on(well...I've been doing that for the past 3 weeks :p) until band is over.

Obihahn: Cool idea. The whole thing makes a good composition. I especially like the little troopers running about! :)

14. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey gang.
    Finally had a break and thought I'd do a little housecleaning. August links are all archived. I didn't test them, so uh... if there are any problems, let me know. I'll fix 'em.

Looks like keeping this Weekly is the preference. Okey doke. Won't mess with a good thing, I guess!

Obihahn - cool AT-AT. Interesting idea. I honestly had never considered how the troops actually got in one of those things. Pretty cool!

So, anyone wanna start laying odds on whether or not I'll manage an entry this week? ;)

~Bar

15. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    The whole AT-AT thang with colors and in bigger scale:
    Boarding/color

I realized I had no clue what the insides of an AT-AT look like, source materials give many different versions...

Bar: I say you do manage to post an entry this week. Because you should. :D

16. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    Um... I'm a little late (sheepish grin) but here is my entry for last week.

Caption Challenge

On to this week. :D

BTW I'm in agreement with everyone who suggested keeping a weekly challenge. I only hope that doesn't put too much preasure on you BB.

17. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Obihahn - Nice subtle coloring! AT-ATs are cool, but I can't help but think how completely impractical the things are. I mean, everything else hovers or flies - what's with the slow clumsy walky things? :D And yet, somehow it works. Star Wars is the best.

Kongzilla - once again I am slayed. so funny. i think my favorite is Vader in the coin-operated spring action TIE fighter! hee hee....

I don't mind keeping the Art Challenge weekly. I just can't guarantee that I'll be able to submit an entry every week. I'll try though - but I have a really hard time doing anything fast. Too fussy. ;)
    ~Bar

18. padawangrasshopper

padawangrasshopper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    Iyidin-Very nice rendering! Very Chiang-ish and Joe Johnston-y!

Obiahn-Excellent piece man! Really like the perspective and the sense of scale of the AT-ATs. You get the sense that these things are HUUUUUGE! Great job.

Kong-Fuuuunny! My fav was the "who forgot their lightsaber?"

Hansolo29- Aaah, Band! I remember those days well! Don't know whether to smile or cringe at remebering those days! :D I was an alto sax guy myself. What do you play?

Baroness- Well, I was gonna say maybe have the art challenge every two weeks, but that's just my very, very, very cheap two cents!

Pad G

19. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Thanks for the compliments people! :) Did you happen to notice that the Jedi was Blonde???!!! :D :p Yeah, I know...not another blonde joke.

A non-space Star Wars vehicle? Hmmm...the Star Wars equivalent of a Volvo! Complete with crazy driver too :)

20. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    Another naff concept thing:

[image=http://www.Istari-Studio.co.uk/2d/bus_concept.jpg] A small bus contraption...

Same process as before, except that I scanned my ink version in, enlarged and printed it out before markers.

21. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    alrighty. i think this is just about the lamest entry i have ever done for the Art Challenge. But, hey, I got one done! Woo-hoooo!
    Here 'tis: Carry-All

sorry y'all had to see that. ;)

PadG - I kinda like 2 weeks per challenge as well. I figure I'll see how it goes for awhile, and if the entry number gets really low, i'll extend it to two weeks.

Iyidin_Kyeimo - another nice transport! and great job with the markers as well.

Guess it's that time again. New Challenge! Again - another great idea from Kongzilla:

SWITCHEROO
    Due Sept 20

Take two SW characters and switch their roles. Put Luke in Jar Jar's clothes and Jar Jar in Luke's. Switch Chewbacca and Padme. It does not necessarily have to be a generational switch, those are just examples.

heh heh. oh the possibilities.....
    ~Bar

22. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Ooooh! I know exactly what I would do for that one! :p

Hey, do any of you use a Drawing Tablet? We just got them in at school, complete with "Painter" program.

I AM IN LOVE! [face_love]

I will definately be running out to buy one of these in the immediate future!

23. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    Some cool stuff this week everybody! Yes, even your entry BB. Hey, expending creative energy is really all it's about.. um.. man. Like, the universe is just full of ideas, man and you like just plucked that out of the stars... Groovy.

Alright, somebody slap me.

Here's my Non-Space transport

Dewback

Now, what I really should do is catch up in the JC Fan Art Class.

24. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    *Slap*

Like wow Kong. You are like, totally, in a cosmic place tonight. Even your entry has like, a kharmic balance, totally elevating the subservient role and empowering the oppressed to dispense to the oppressor his just rewards.

Mystical.

*slap*

that one was for me ;)
    wait. what did i even say up there?
    Baroness.
    Gemini.

25. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    Like Obi said to Qui.. "Don't bogart that JarJar, man." :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.