main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY The Official Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookie_cookie

wookie_cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    Where's the best place to get a wig? I got some highlights in my hair last week and now I'm more young Beru blond than Padme brown, so I need a wig. Cheap but not cheap-looking. ;) Would Arlene's be the best place? I was gonna go looking this weekend.

Thanks!

2. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    Yea Arleen's is good here, maybe Doughtery's in syracuse on Erie blvd, not sure wha't closer for you./ There's a wig store in Greece Ridge Center, but theyy are awefully expensive.

3. MadKidJedi

MadKidJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2005
    Spent the last two days cutting, pinning and sewing, and now I am happy to say that I've a far-closer-to-screen-accurate Ani-Tunic made, which will make it's debut in Pittsburg. Can't believe I actually got it done, but I'm very happy with the results. That, and the new belt-hilt.... things are looking good!!

4. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Grabbed some dark brown fabric from WM this afternoon
    Going to fashion myself a new Tusken midwaist piece tonight possibly.

5. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Wingy-

I've got a couple of different shades of dark brown crinkle cotton material (from Wal-Mart), as well as some sand/camel/ivory/natural (whatever) crinkle cotton which may work well for you... If you wanna stop over and see, just text or call....

6. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Darn, those perfect German Boots I got just were not perfect enough. My calves are to fat. Now I have to sell them. If I do not find another pair, I will have to wear my other Bantha PooDoo vinyl ones with holes in them at the Parades.

7. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    You should look into taking them to a cobbler to get the calves stretched a bit and/or have a gosset (not sure how that's spelled) put in them. I think you'll have better luck with that than finding a new pair that does fit.

~Doc_Bev

8. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea since they seem hard to find in larger sizes. There is a place on Jefferson in Henrietta. I will go see what they can do, if anything.

9. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Katie:

I was wondering if you have any suggestions on washing my tunic I made from the lightweight crinkle-cut cotton? I was simply going to handwash it, and hang dry, but I was wondering if there's anything special I should do? I've heard some horror stories about the material stretch in odd directions, shrinking, etcetera. Any tips?

10. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Theres also a guy at Greece Ridge mall that will do it.
    He's working on my TIE boots.

11. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Dean - sent you a pm, hope that helps!

12. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Ok so Monday I went to this place across from Southtown in Hen. to see what they could do with my Boots. Stretching them only costs $10 and Modifying them would be almost what I paid for them, so I went with the stretching. I am supposed to go check them out on Monday. I am not sure if that will work though. They said they could get a half inch out of them but I think I need at least another inch.

13. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    -recieves a package at his desk at noon-
    -stares at it....could it be?-
    -Opens Package...-
    THE PATCHES ARE HERE! [face_laugh] :D [face_dancing]

14. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    Sweet! so what's next?

15. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    well as soon as someone turns off the natural gas oven that is NY this week...I can get everything together I need and make a call to Diane so we can at least get started on the jumpsuit.

Sent a few PMs reguarding my flack vest and I need to buy the strapping for my ejection harness

16. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    I keep forgetting about this, I still need to get or make a Thermal Detonator for my Trooper Belt. Any suggestions?

17. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Jeff-

I believe Scott, Mike and/or Darren have the specs required for making that TD. They're our "armorers", after all. Perhaps one of the twins, who may have Stormie armor can be of service to ya.

As for me, I'm probably gonna bust out the ivory crinkle cotton and get started on my Obi-Ep.2 tunic. Then progress towards the belt and boots (spats) simultaneously, when I breach into the leatherworking aspect of the costume. I will probably end up cannibalizing my Anakin belt Version 1.0 that sits idly aside right now for the Obi-Wan belt... just need to figure out how to create the buckle for it. Though Obi's belt pouches differ from Anakin's, Ill probably just use my Ani-pouches to dress the belt until more screen-accurate ones can be procured. I'm also thinking about a new inner tunic for my Anakin, having found silk crepe at JoAnn's a few weeks ago in the right color. At nearly 7 bux a yard, though, maybe just a dickie-style garment, instead of the full thing.

I expect to premier the Obi-outfit sometime in the next month or so, depending on my sewing-time allotment. Wish me luck!

18. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    Does anyone have a Spare officer's disc greeblie for sale locally? I have a Black Officer's cap coming (for my Imp Crewman) & I need a disc greeblie. Wingnut has offered to let me borrow one of his he needs for his Tie but if could cut out that one step it would be simpler for me.

If not I'll post on the 501st board & see what comes up. Let me know. Thanks

19. RogueSquadronWingnut

Apr 7, 2002
    Tom...you can borrow a Greeblie for awhile no problem.
    I currently have 5 greeblies but will need 3 for my TIE.
    I have 2 to spare that I am going to use on my AT-ST driver.

20. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Yay! Arlene's called and my new Anakin gauntlet is in!! Also, they have lots of the Vader gloves for any TIE pilots who may need them... under $15.00.

Also, I saw a lapel pin on a turnstile near the register at the front of the store. Though it's intended for those who do the duty in our actual U.S. Armed Forces, I'm gonna buy it when I go in for my glove (and some more collodian... the scar make-up. Stuff I got now is gelling in the bottle). You might ask "why"?. Well, it says "FORCE RECON", in bold red capital letters.... how can I pass that up?

21. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    Who hoo! I got my Imperial Officer's hat in, so Now I can Join the Jumpsuit Brigade & not overheat in my Armor & Helmet.....Cause I don't have to wear it now! Yea For me!

I'll be debuting my new summer Imperial attire at the Ellicottville BPO event!

22. T_StarFlyer

Nov 2, 2004
    Ok Got the Hat, Got the Greeblie, Got the holster, Pistol is paintedThings are good to go!

23. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    Well, as things are progressing slowly on my Obi-Wan, I stopped today to see about material for a new, cooler under-tunic (which, coincidentally, can be used for the Ep.3 Obi-Wan inner tunic, eh?). My research tells me that the material used is a "silk crepe". I just happened to be out on my bike, passing Fabrics and Findings on Village Gate Square's south side, and went in. Didn't find the silk I was seeking, but stumbled across an even better leather-looking remnant on their remnant table for yet another new set of tabbards. For the 7 bux paid, I think these will look even better than all their predecessors, and may even be the definitive non-leather version for me.

Last weekend at the Corn Hill Arts Festival I talked to a lady who works in deerskin about a set of tabbards. I'm told by Justin (Primrodo) on the Anakin Costuming thread that the quote she gave me for $150 bux is money well spent... but that's a way off right now, as I have other priorities.

May actually begin cutting the material for my Obi-Wan tonight...

24. MadKidJedi

May 7, 2005
    ....actually, I began the cutting today. Here's the proof:

[image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/MadKidJedi/MadKids%20Image%20Holocron/IMG_0782.jpg],[image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/MadKidJedi/MadKids%20Image%20Holocron/IMG_0779.jpg]

Tomorrow, sewing begins! (I hope it's not 100 degrees in the apartment... hard to sew through sweaty eyes...)

I did cut the tabbard pieces from my recent pleather remnant purchase, but I'm waiting on exact measurements from Justin (Primrodo) so that this set can be as close to perfect as I've ever made!

25. Wa-Sabe

Wa-Sabe Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2006
    Does anyone have some extra ABS?
    I need to make some shims for my calves.

I could use some thick styrene, recomended?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.