main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    Has anybody tried anything from Lazy Magnolia? I believe they are based out of Louisiana. They are going to start being distributed in Florida and my bar is holding a release party Monday with a few of their beers on tap and giving away swag. I know they have a Honey Pecan Nut Ale and a Sweet Potato Beer. Both of these sound delicious. Just wondering if anybody had any opinions on it.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Those sound like ones I like to try.

3. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Definitely would want to try that. I'd have to think that's available around here.

4. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I am prepping for a Cheese and Beer tasting party the wife and are throwing in a couple of weeks.

As of now this is the lineup:

Extra Sharp Cheddar with St. Louis Geuze Fond Tradition ( I figured I would start off light with a cheese most people have had before, and this Geuze is amazing if you have not had it yet)

Humboldt Fog with La Chouffe (most likely, this may change)

A smoked gouda from Holland with Great Divide Baltic Smoked Porter

Gourmandise with walnuts with Banana Bread Beer

And for desert 60% Dark Chocolate with Bells Consecrator Dopplebock.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

5. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
    I have drank Lazy Magnolia southern pecan. It was pretty good. I think they are based in Mississippi though.

Today I helped a friend of mine brew a Darth Vader Black IPA. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be tasty. I'll give a lengthy review when it is ready to drink.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    really enjoying the nectar ipa lately. anyone else discover any new beers?

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not really "new" but I've found that mixing Arrogant Bastard and Maker's Mark bourbon creates a really, really good taste combination.

Oh, and I guess I tried a new Dundee seasonal pack. It was exceptionally meh, just like the last one I tried.

8. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    Just discovered that the Trader Joe's near my house carries Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, my favorite English beer.

Unfortunately they want upwards of $3 for a half-liter. :_|

9. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I've tried so many different beers over the last few months, but two that have really stood out are Founder's Breakfast Stout & Bell's Double Cream Stout. Oh, & the Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter from Willoughby Brewing Company. That's my absolute favorite.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I haven't branched out recently, but I should. Last few craft/micro's that I've had have been Great Lake's Edmond Fitzgerald's. I love it.

11. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    That sounds delicious, if expensive.

12. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    That's one of my favorite easy to find beers. I've also become really fond of GL's Eliot Ness recently.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'll have to look for the Eliot Ness around here. Sounds good at Beer Advocate.

14. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    The beer thread is back! I will post some of the highlights from my adventures in beering when I get home later tonight. Until then please share some of your discoveries. It's good toia be back!

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I just discovered that a local Jewish Deli has Anderson Valley Amber on draft, as well as Belgian Stout from a Hood River brewery called Pfriem, who I am hearing tons of buzz about. Their Wit was amazing. I am gonna try to get there this weekend and sample those beers.

16. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    I've had a few american saisons recently, specifically Just Beer's Craison, Ommegeng's Hennepin and Ithaca's Ground Break. it's kinda been my first foray into the style.

WookatMe likes this.
  17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Ommegang is fantastic. I just had a good pair of Saisons at a tasting for Boulevard. I love the style a lot.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    now that you say that Strilo, I have had boulevard's tank 7 once on draft. I really like ommegang's stuff, especially rare vos, bpa and three philospohers.

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Thanks to the perseverence of WookatMe I've gone from 'Beer yuck to Stout yum!

Tonight it is a Left Hand Imperial Stout. Love the heavy, thick taste of a stout. This one is superb.

WookatMe likes this.
  20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    We have this in common. I cannot stand hops either.

21. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I am just getting home from a long day of work and dinner. But I am going to try and recall some of the better beers I have had tomorrow at work. Maybe post woke updates if my phone cooperates. If not, when I get home.
    I am going to Cigar City next month for Hunahpu release, their signature stout. Very limited release. I am sure to try some awesome one offset as well.

22. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    Just got done with a grueling 36 hours of work in 3 days. I am about to have some Shipyard Applehead. Has anybody else tried it? It is pretty similar to their Pumpkinhead. A great session beer.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh man, i have a half an hour left of work before a three day weekend. i think i'll definitely splurge and try something fancy. i had this the other day. it was fantastic.

[​IMG]

WookatMe likes this.
  24. WookatMe

Aug 22, 2010
    I am not an IPA fan though I can appreciate a well made one. Let us know what you decide on. Maybe get a nice bomber!

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, that is the plan. there is one great beer store here that has many i still have yet to try.