main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just came across this fanon image by accident, but I think this is how the Twi'lek master of Darth Tenebrous, who began the shift towards darkness about 200 years before the movies, should look:

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091111185508/swfanon/images/c/c1/Darth_Samah.jpg]

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    finally finished the book. I thought it was great. More depth that you usually find in a star wars novel. We don't usually see so much about economics and politics. But it was enjoyable overall

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [face_hypnotized]

Great find!
    And, I second your motion to make THAT Official.

4. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    can someone please interpret this line for me, please?
    Sidious to 11-4D after the murder of Plagueis:
    "We're going to have to find you a new home and a new body,droid"

one avid fan of star wars that I speak to often suggested that 11-4D was reconfigured as R2-D2...but I know better, so what does this line mean and what actually happens to 11-4D?

5. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    From http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/11-4D

Behind the scenes
    According to author James Luceno in a Facebook Q&A, "There's a scene at the end of Labyrinth of Evil where a couple of droids get the drop on the good guys who are closing in on Sidious's secret lair. I like to think the 11-4D might have been in that room, and he was surely present when Anakin was fitted with the suit."

So it's either one of the 21-Bs, the DD-13, or the FX-6.

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    That is hilarious, seriously, it is, but considering we had already been intorduced to R2D2 by the time Plagueis was dead, canonically, well, kinda puts a damper on that theory. Yet, that would still, in its own way, be awesome..

7. Celeste_Morne

Celeste_Morne Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2008
    Just finished Darth Plageuis and I gotta say that was the best piece of Expanded Universe I've ever read - it stands on its own as a fascinating work but also fleshes out and redeems many of the missteps of the (prequel) films. And although Luceno's word that 11-4D stuck with Palpatine and was at Vader's birth, the theory that 11-4D became R2D2 (as nonsensical as that is, considering R2 is already taking independent action in Episode I while 4D is with Plagueis) is hilarious.

8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Or if 11-4D was around when Vader was born, could it be that Palpatine then droidnapped Artoo and put 11-4D in him, so that he was Artoo during the OT?

Artoo self-destructed before telling Palpatine where Obi-Wan was, so he put 11-4D to find him. After 19 years, he finally found out Obi-Wan was on Tatooine. But he never liked Vader after that "NOOO!", so he decided to bring him to Palpatine himself. So he was undercover for the whole time, trying to get the Jedi first. When he almost killed everyone in the trash compactor, he then remembered he needed someone to ride the ship out of there (so he could then put on the Coruscant coordinates) and "saved" them. After the death of Obi-Wan, he decided that going to the secret rebel base is the best thing. Han Solo found the tracking beacon, but 11-4D sent the right coordinates to the Empire. During the attack to the Death Star, his plan was to lock the weapons so Luke would have to get out of the trench (after he heard that Luke also had the Force his plan changed to "accidentally" moving into hyperspace and calling reinforcements from Coruscant). But then Vader hit him, so he couldn't do anything.

Between the movies 11-4D took the samples from Luke and sent them to Palpatine, who then realized he was the son of Vader. On Dagobah when he fought with Yoda he was trying to get a midichlorian sample to see if Yoda's changed environment had changed it. He also poisoned Yoda's food storage, so he died slowly and thought it was old age.

On the Cloud City, he gets electrocuted when he tries to open a door, and they have to go to another door. On their way there, stormtroopers find them. Coincidence?

Suddenly I don't care about Tyranus book anymore, the next book by Luceno should be 11-4D: the Emperor's Droid. Talk about looking at OT in another way.

9. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    A better theory would be to ask who finished Threepio between Ep1 and Ep2, especially since the Padmé scene for that got cut. ;)

10. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    it is hilarious...very...but honestly it did make me stop and think "well possibly"...then I put the blunt down, and posted my question here

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Best to keep all those posts in the PT Forum.
    ;)

12. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    The fascinating thing about 11-4D is that, early in the book, Plagueis asks him to make a recording of everything in his Sith library. That would mean that 11-4D is potentially the greatest single repository of Sith information in the galaxy!

13. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    I suddenly had this weird mental image of a droid holding a red lightsaber on the front cover, getting ready to defend itself...don't ask me why.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I've been riding that horse for months now. Am somewhat surprised that more people haven't spoken-out on that very subject.

As assets go, 11-4D has the most value in the history of Bane's Order.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Which all goes to waste when Vader Force crushes it. Sidious FAIL.

16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm sure he made backups :p

Then again, Palpatine just really doesn't seem to care for droids. Look at the dismissive way he took care of Maul's training droid in the Wrath of Darth Maul...

17. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Or another droid who conveniently remained off-camera the whole time.

18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Considering how much he could answer, you'd have to think he simply IS the most valuable thing to historians everywhere and anywhere. And the thing is, now that all this information about Plagueis and Sidious is out there, they're eventually going to have to include it in the inevitable next edition of the Essential Chronology. How will they say they got hold of it after all this time? You can't have too many answers to that question, but the possibility that somebody found that droid and managed to extract the info from his memory is one legitimate way to do it. They would have to establish the provenance of that info, possibly by describing what happened to the droid after the events of the novel and how it ended up in Galactic Alliance Historical Council hands. But it's not impossible.

19. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I wasn't happy with the fact that Sidious's identity ever surfaced, and I still await an in-universe source dismissing Na'al as a hero-worshipping populist Jedi cultist who follows the exploits of Luke Skywalker instead of focusing on actual history. For those who have read Star Wars on Trial, basically the prosecution. That's the character's whole point anyway -- he's just unreliable, but that hasn't been acknowledged, in-universe.

It'd be great if the only source on Palpatine = Sidious, in-universe, is 11-4D. Now the Sith too get an immortal droid who outlives everyone to recount their tales a hundred years later. [face_devil]

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    After watching Witches of the Mist again and seeing the substantial amount of lightning unleashed on Savage, I'm totally not buying deformed-by-the-lightning theory.

21. Gelious

Gelious Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2011
    Can somebody elaborate what is with page 64 and funny mention of Kenobi there please? I read the book and didn't see anything.
    P.S. Amazing how Darth Plagueis knows so much about Malak and Revan, nevermind a few thousand years...

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it was about Tatooine, and how people prematurely age there. At least I think that's what you're referring to.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Just a little joke. Obi-Wan, as of A New Hope, was only 60 years old (or was it 59? can't remember). To put that in perspective, Alec Guinness was actually a few years older than the character he was playing. In addition, humans are supposed to live a bit longer in Star Wars. Obi-Wan in A New Hope was the same age as Qui-Gon when he died... one looks quite a bit older than the other.

Simply put, Obi-Wan looks very old for his age, in comparison with other characters in Star Wars. So, Luceno put in a joke about how Tatooine makes you seem to age prematurely.

24. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Just for the record, this is picture is neither fanon nor fanart. It is an image by a licensed artist officially published in the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game. I was a very big fan of it while it lasted - it included over 2,000 beautiful EU-related images by high profile artists, with many being dedicated to obscure EU tidbits. Unfortunately, just like the events from it are yet to be referenced anywhere beyond late SWG itself, the images themselves mostly faded into obscurity as well: even though LFL still has the full rights to do with them all as they please, the most we got so far was re-usage of several pictures by the Star Wars Insider.

Even though mostly set during GCW, the game also included things like Wall of light, so some images can indeed be retconned as timeless if necessary. However, I doubt LFL or Chee would actually do that.

25. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Well, i guess that explains Dooku being around 80 years old and in good fighting shape.