main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. BuddhaRich

BuddhaRich Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2009
    So far no Palpatine... although more about Plageuis' early life than I expected. His father was an IBC middle executive, force sensitive - Darth Tenebrous takes Hego's mother on as a disciple, and gets her to have a child with Hego's father, Caar - the resulting child Tenebrous had predicted (using math, etc.) would be strong in the force- when Hego is 5 his parents tell him the truth and turn him over to Darth Tenebrous for training. In return, Caar is given a big promotion in the IBC, to the head of a division or something- and Hego's mother disappears, never to be seen again.

So far it looks like Plageuis had a big hand in supporting Gardulla the Hutt's move to Tatooine- funding the rebuilding of the Boonta Eve Podracing course, much to the chagrin of the senator from Malastare. Overall, I'm getting a very Godfather-esque, Don Corleone-y feeling from Plageuis.

earlyreleasebarnesandnobleswag.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Finished.
    My thoughts will be posted after eight hours of sleep. :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Now I just need to find a bookstore, since with Borders closed there's not a single bookstore within 20 or 30 miles of my house [face_frustrated]

4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Same here. I rest my hopes that today is release-day, and heavy dark-side spoilers can commence. [face_devil]

5. DarthAdamentum

DarthAdamentum Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2008
    It sucks Borders is also closed here in Melbourne. I don't know where to get one...

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Funny.

Everyone is quiet.
    Heads must've exploded like mine did when they processed all that information.
    :p

Three words sum of the subtlety of the Sith:

"Phoebos Memorial Run"
    ;)

Curious point about Maul:
    I found it telling, that Sidious only mused about the Zabrak's defeat at the hands of the Jedi.
    Not his death.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm only quiet since the UK don't get this for another week. :p

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We have a few types here. Main one is Kindle on Amazon UK, but WH Smiths has their reader and there's a rumor Waterstones will start selling the Nook. However, the Plagueis novel isn't out here til Jan 19 according to Amazon UK. (I'll be putting a pre-order in for the HC closer to the date).

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Admittedly, I did see the other day that a couple of the third party sellers on Amazon UK claim to be dispatching this already...

I'm unsure whether or not to try though. If I remember correctly, I think one was TheBookDespository, which I've used in the past, but I'm unsure if the claim to be dispatching this early is true or not?

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They might have the US edition. I've been able to get those occasionally on Amazon UK on the US release date but not always. I'll just order it this weekend probably as there are a few books I want coming out around the same time as it.

11. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Curious choice of words, eh? I wonder if the publisher of TPM re-release checked the end for specific words explicitly saying MAUL IS DEAD, and took a red pen out. Your three words: IDGI? Care to spoil my deprived nerdiness? Lay some more spoilers on me! p-p-p-please? For this discussion's sake, I did read the first 60 pages, which were posted online Sunday.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    My three words refer to the name of a Pod Race on Malastare.
    Hidden in plain sight, Sith influence was....

SO stupid, these staggered releases are.
    Without excuse, in this day and age.

Now, I have to wait another ten days for some robust dialog with you Brits?
    Awful. Must be an egotistical American in charge of distribution.
    [face_mischief]

13. Count_Serious_II

Count_Serious_II Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I just bought the book .... All I know is I will also be purchasing the Audio Version as well .. AND A DICTIONARY ... a lot of philosophy to take in ...

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, we got Riptide a whole month before you guys across the Pond, so... nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!

Oh how pointlessly privileged that made me feel back then... I'd take it all back if only it meant Plagueis a few days earlier. :p

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Major Plagueis Spoilers:

Midis->While the book does NOT state that Plagueis CREATED Anakin, the Muun did accomplish that exact goal in OTHER test subjects. He impregnated them by direct manipulation of their midichlorians. AND, it appears that Plagueis mastered BOTH ends of the spectrum.

Veruna's death->I said both ends, because Plagueis bade the midichlorians in Veruna's body to rejoin the force as the chosen method for killing him.

Twisted, eh?:p

Any questions, lemme know.
    I'm reading Wrath of Maul right now, might as well finish the explosion in my head.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Speaking of which... how long before we get Wrath of Plagueis? :p

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    You have no idea how bad I want that.
    ESpecially after The Tenebrous Way....
    (Speaking of which, Bal'demnic does present a small, tiny problem, later on)

I want the Muun's POV.
    I want to know WHY he didn't fight back.
    At all.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The package is in my town, but I didn't get it today

[face_plain]

19. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    Got it this morning and read it straight through. I had avoided all spoilers, and I absolutely loved it. Need to have some time to organize my thoughts on it, but a few quick hits:

Plagueis is flat out awesome all around. If Palpatine hadn't had killed him and actually followed his plan, I think the Empire would have lasted for much, much longer, maybe even forever.

I loved Palpatine berating Maul for not immediately killing the guy he was sent to kill and getting his hand hurt for it. Foreshadowing Maul's flaw in basking in the moment before a kill.

I liked the fact that both Palpatine and Plagueis had their Sith identities and their actual identities that they were born with in order to amass wealth (in Plagueis's case) and political power (in Palpatine's case). The fact that Plagueis interacted with so many important people (most notably planting the ideas of Kamino in Syfo-Dyas) was really cool in my opinion.

Also, I second the fact that Ben Kenobi fans will love page 64. I sure got a laugh out of it.

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I would stand to read another couple hundred pages of Plagueis doing his thing.
    More from Sojourn, more about Aborah & more details regarding his abominable work on Venamis, et all.

Goes without saying; I think, that people will want more....
    Before they even finish this book.

Oh, and did I mention that:
    Plagueis INCREASED his own midichlorian count?

I can't wait for Arawn_Fenn to get a glimpse of that one.
    [face_mischief]

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Just started reading, quick question about the first chapter.

At the end of the chapter, it mentions a Force user who the Force essence transfer technique had died with, one who had been "drawn to the light side". Who is this referencing? The only Sith Lord I can think of that was "drawn" to the light side is Revan, but I don't know about him ever knowing Force essence transfer

22. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Gravid

23. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Thats impressive.

24. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    You'll slowly learn more about that throughout the book.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Fobosi.

Luceno's not a player, he just crushes alot.
    Night at the Fobosi lodge and its aftermath might be the best pages in the book.
    Plagueis was hell's, Man 'o war after the brutal kneel, and Sidious....
    'Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.'

I can be PM'd for further *details regarding the creation of life from midichlorians. Quite simply, Tenebrous and Plagueis unlocked midis in separate ways, with the latter mastering the manipulation of both ends of their life-death spectrum. The thread should refrain from getting derailed by the creation of life topic, IMO. So this is the last mention that portion gets in here from me.

Living forever, is fair game for some robust dialog though. :p
    Luceno was exceptional with that, deliberately ignoring its brevity.