main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Official Episode VII and the EU thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    TCW makes it abundantly clear that Lucas will trample over the EU if there is something he disagrees with: the crystals used in lightsabers are referred to as "kyber crystals," he insists that a vibroblade cannot stand up to a lightsaber (they could in KOTOR), there was retcon on Mandalorian society, Adi Gallia and Even Piell's deaths were retconned, there was a change to the political situation on Dac (and the planet was called "Mon Cala"), and Darth Maul was brought back. Lucas' handling of TCW and pretty much making zero attempt to work it in with established EU leaves me no reason to think that his treatments of the Sequel Trilogy will be any more favorable to the EU. I think that's just wishful thinking.

However, as to how much he knows about the EU, there have been confirmations by those close to him that he does follow the comics and does keep on eye on the games to some extent. That by no means makes them canon since he's largely uninvolved in their creation, but apparently he does read the occasional comic, so the bit about him not reading any of it or following it at all seems like it might be a bit outdated.

2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I dont think you kill anyone. Luke, Han, Leah, Chewie, the robots.

That said, we do see a lot of the hero's die in the SW movies. Padme, Anakin, Qui Gon, OB1, Yoda, Mace, and just about every jedi dies in Order 66 on screen. Even Palpatine, Dooku, Grevious, and Tarkin dies.

So, its not improbable that someone will die. Now that i think about it, its probably very probable someone dies. Crap! [face_nail_biting]

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    A bit of trivia - GL also played the first Kyle Katarn game ("Dark Forces"), but I don't know if that was just for the publicity value or how far he got!

4. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Fortunately, as far as I'm concerned, his interpretations of EU are interesting, fun, and better suited to screen treatment than a verbatim repetition of what was written.

Look at my avatar: I've just lost "adegan crystals" and I'm not even sad.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't care or know who Chewis is. I'm just glad it's not Chewie.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Haha, oh you'll see it no matter what. More than once.
    We all know that.

7. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I appreciate this insightful comment. I think star wars fans would expect him to still be alive, and EU fans would find him to be 180 in ROTS and 200 in ANH with 400 or so potential years to live.

I'm only attempting to build the case that the average film goer wouldn't find it ridiculous if chewbacca did die from old age. If you didn't know anything about the extendeded life span, you might think, chewie was 20 in ROTS, 40 at the battle of yavin, and if the PT takes place 40BBY, an 80 year old might have passed away.

It is certainly reasonable to assume he is alive, but I think the average film Joe wouldn't find it too crazy to think he is dead.

8. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Builds a rather large pyramid made up of the New Jedi Order series and lights it on fire in the backyard starting with Vector Prime. Turns to everyone: "Chewie is still alive, General Audiences would want him back. Ergo... Vector Prime and everything it spawned shall be destroyed." Begins maniacal laughter as he walks away.

9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Awesome, you guys, another EU thread.

[face_tired]

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That George Lucas quote pretty much tells us he sees the movies and the books as two separate things: there is film continuity and there is EU continuity. My question is, if the film makers decide something like Luke never marries or has kids, will the EU writers just stop making books that follow their current storyline and start writing novels that instead follow the new film continuity or will they just soldier on like EP7 never occurred?

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    ...yes...I wonder...which one is canon...? [face_mischief]

...10 points to whoever takes the bait first.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewie is an alien. Aliens for the most part are different from humans so why should his life expectancy be the same as a human?

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is a good question. I have no doubt that Episode VII will ignore the vast majority of post-ROTJ EU. For example, if Luke, Leia and Han pop up, you can bet your life that Chewbacca will be along with them. I don't want to sound like a broken record, as I've said the same thing in many different threads over the last week, but I really can see them calling it a day with the current EU and basically starting from scratch a few years from now. Basically, I can see an EU "reboot" accompanying the release of Episode VII or VIII. The EU has already pretty much collapsed under its own weight. I personally think a reboot is the way to go.

14. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    The movie's writers will be given a blank page. Anything from the EU will be treated as suggestions only. If it hinders their storytelling, it won't make it in.

15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

And to cap it off, only the most recent releases of any of the movies are top-level canon.

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I've wanted a reboot since the Vong war, but you don't say that over in a literature or fanfiction forum that is heresy. The only problem I have with a complete reboot is I really love some of the characters in the EU. Mara, Ben, Talon, Jag to name a few. That is why I wouldn't mind them grabbing some characters from the novels and using them.

This drawing pretty much sums up what I think of the EU:
    http://ag88.deviantart.com/gallery/37542000?offset=24#/d2yf0de

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  17. spoooooky

spoooooky Jedi Master

May 2, 2000
    As much as I love the NJO series, I certainly wouldn't be hurt if Lucasfilm ignores it for the ST. And didn't Peter Mayhew slip and say something about signing a contract for new movies awhile ago and then immediately retract it?

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Episode 7 script possibility:

Chewbacca appears onscreen.
    Other characters: "Whoa! Chewbacca?! We heard you were killed by a moon."
    Chewbacca (in subtitles): "No."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.