main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The *Official* Love Story Thread [v2.0]

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by RidingMyCarousel, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    In some ways I feel you can sum up the marriage in two words - "war bride".

2. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    So true. The uncertain times they live in and the circumstances that surround them, as well as a physical attraction seem to push them into a relationship rather than a true spiritual attraction.

It's really amazing how Star Wars seems to mirror the real world at times. Here we are talking about War brides and just 2 mths ago we saw the same phenomenon in the Iraq War.

3. El_Kamino

El_Kamino Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I realize that I may get beaten down for even suggesting this scenario, but I'll post it anyways. I have never had a problem with the love story aspect of this film, and the more and more I watch it, the more I like it. But, I keep hearing all these people whine about how it's so unbelievable and how could they fall in love that quickly, etc. Well, the idea I had (and I know there is NO WAY George Lucas would ever let this slide), was what if they weren't really in love, and what if they didn't get married at the end. What if the conception of the twins was the result of a one-nighter, and Anakin and Padme giving into temptation just once while they were in hiding. After all, they were just two young, attractive people, in hiding with nothing else much to do. I think that would have definately shaken up people's perceptions of EP3 and the OT. Well, bash away!

4. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    El_Camino,

Actually, that's pretty close to what was stated in the earlier scripts. Anakin was referred to by name, but Padme was referred to as 'his girlfriend' or 'his lover,' but never his wife.

Then I guess the PG rating bug bit GL and he had them get married, with the caveat that they are 'breaking the Jedi rules.'

Just my .02.

Lady Sami

5. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Well I think they are in love. The kind of young love that's very passionate and emotional and then you look back after a few years and wonder what the heck were you thinking (been there done that).

The relationship IS basically a one night stand. HOw much time do they spend with each other after the marriage or for that matter before. Days? Cant be much more. She has duties, he has duties and they have to hide it so they aren't going to see each other that much if at all (we'll have to wait and see). That's why it's not a deep spiritual love born out of like mores, interests, philosophies and dreams. They don't even have time to explore and share that aspect of themselves with each other except on a very cursory level.

Sooner or later the passion will lessen as the time lengthens and they become strangers again. It's obvious from the OT that Anakin at some point became someone Padme wouldnt be able to love, of course we will have to see what came first the chicken or the egg as Sami would say.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    She has duties, he has duties and they have to hide it so they aren't going to see each other that much if at all (we'll have to wait and see).

Minor spoiler warning:
    [edited]

YJ edit: Episode 3 Spoilers, no matter how minor, aren't allowed in this forum.

7. Obi-Can

Jun 29, 2002
    Yes I know I saw it, well sort of it was very far away -- well I'm sure you know how the cam works.

Where babies are concerned, as my mom used to say "One time is enough to ruin the rest of your life." Good ole Mom.

So that's in line with what I was saying a lot of wham bam thank you mam see ya next time, but not much for developing a relationship. They will be perpetural strangers who share one adventure and never move on from there. Afterall you don't do alot of talking during sex, well quality talking anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.