main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *OFFICIAL* Photoshop Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Otis_Frampton, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Can anyone tell me what the cheapest price I can (legally) find Photoshop for?

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    OK, new question here. I've been using PS for years, never with instruction... and the point is, let's say I scan a pencilled image. In PS, how can I basically color-key out the white background and make it black-on-transparent, barring the incredibly tedious "magicwand-select every white area and delete" technique...?

3. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    This is Maryn Roos's technique. I've been using it since 2002:

Scan your lovely b/w grayscale drawing, adjust the levels, etc. till you're happy.

In the Layers palette - switch to the Channels palette.

Click on the little dotted circle at the very bottom of the palette.

This has selected the white areas of your image.

(The big complicated explanation - as a channel, the shades of grey become levels of transparency, in other words, the amount of color allowed through, sort of like a silk screen - but ignore this. It doesn't matter.)

Go back to the Layers palette, Inverse the selection. cmd+shift+i or go to Select menu

Now on a new transparent Layer, pick black, or whatever, and alt+del (fill the selection), and deselect - cmd +d.

-Otis

4. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    I know how to do it in Paint Shop Pro, but I think it's the same. Maybe...

Go to help and search for 'Masks'. If you have any option to 'mask from image', it'll make it transparent and black.

In Paint Shop Pro, there is a seperate 'Masks' menu, of which 'from image' is an option.

I think that this http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/html/channels2.html might help *clings to polykarbon's lovely tutorials*

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Thanks for the ideas, both... I will try them.

However, this:

(The big complicated explanation - as a channel, the shades of grey become levels of transparency, in other words, the amount of color allowed through, sort of like a silk screen - but ignore this. It doesn't matter.)

... interests me. If "as a channel, the shades of gray become levels of transparency," then might there be a way to keep those semi-transparent black pixels, so that it doesn't look like I drew my pic with a charcoal Sharpie? (note, I haven't tried either of the posted methods yet, but it seems like that Sharpie effect is what I might get with Otis' select >> fill method)

6. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    . . . is what I might get with Otis' select >> fill method . . .

Like I said, it's Maryn's technique. So I've sent her an e-mail asking her to chime in on this thread.

Off topic . . . I'm loving the new forum formatting functions! :D

-Otis

7. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Nope, that's what you get if you change your million colours down to just two, and then back to a million, and then mask out the white. You get just black and transparent.

If you use the select tool, you get white spots around the inside of your selection.

The way to make your lines smooth is to mask them the firstway, put them on a seperate layer, and then soften them, because that makes the edges of the lines slightly transparent. Then you colour on another layer, being careful not to go over the lines; then you highlight on another layer seperate to that.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have a question. I recently got a new PC (HP laptop running Windows XP Home service pack 2). My old Packard Bell PC running XP SP2 had Photoshop 7 on it but I believe it came with it. I don't have a CD for it.I have a CD for Photoshop 4 and tried to put it on the new laptop but I get a RAM error when trying to bring it up. Is there any upgrade available to bring PS4 up to PS7 or does it have to be incremental? I really don't want to spend a ton of money to get PS7 for the new machine.

9. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    If you buy an upgrade from Adobe, it will update any version of Photoshop you have on your computer. I'm not sure if you can still buy version 7, though... you might have to get CS or CS2.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks wicktone! I will have to see if Amazon UK has anything on sale..

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    First off, let me offer a goodie for you all Clicky me! This site has thousands of fun and easy to understand/follow tutorials for photoshop.

Also, for anyone who's interested in Corel Painter IX, I just downloaded a trial version of the software (because I'm impatiently waiting for mine to arrive via UPS ground delivery) the program allows you to import PSD Photoshop files and will open it using your layers! So the 2 programs are compatible :)

Now that I've bribed everyone, I have Photoshop 7 and was wondering if someone could give me a detailed, step-by-step on how to merger layers?

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated :)

12. Tom-Co

Tom-Co Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2005
    here i got a great photoshop site for ya'll

Click Me.. OR DIE!

enjoy...

BTW i have photoshop CS (lucky me), and i use photoshop for all MY ART.

13. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Heh, I love that site. Been going there for a long time.

Darn OPPM...

14. DarkLordoftheRings

DarkLordoftheRings Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2004
    I just thought of a project that would be pretty funny. You know that Vanity Fair picture of all the cast members and/or characters from all the movies, in their street clothes? Well, wouldn't it be funny if someone found a picture of Alec Guiness in street clothes, and turned that into a "Jedi spirit", then put it into that picture somehow?

That'd be pretty hilarious!

Don't ask me...I'm not creative enough!

15. Shanny_bear

Shanny_bear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2006
    Just wanted to say thanks for the link, PadmeLeiaJaina! There's always room to learn with photoshop.

16. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    does any one know of a way to convert photos in photoshop to look similar to this cover art??

metal gear solid

p.s. has anyone here done any fan art on metal gear solid??

17. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
  18. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I dont think there would be any simple way of making it look like that in photoshop as that cover art was drawn in that style, you might be able to use the distort>wave filter but only if you really knew what you were doing with it.

19. liambauckham

Jul 11, 2005
    thanks i shall have a fiddle with it

20. illbeats

illbeats Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Lightsaber Pulse Imageready/Photoshop Tutorial Video
    http://forcefx.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=graphics&action=display&thread=1148372291

In this video tutorial I will teach you how to make this lightsaber demonstrated here.
    [image=http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8854/saber1015xf.gif]
    Starting with drawing out the bladed,then giving it a glow,and finally animating the core glow.

http://forcefx.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=graphics&action=display&thread=1148372291

21. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    I used to be able to use the pen tool and draw curved lines and then stroke them in photoshop 6. I have installed CS2 and now it automaticly closes my curve lines and the only option I have is to fill it. I see the option to stroke the lines but it's disabled.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

22. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    When you select the pen tool the bar at the top changed to the pen options.

[image=http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1254/untitled1bm2.gif]

Make sure that paths is selected, that should make it work.

23. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    I knew it was simple. Thanks for the help!

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (running photoshop 7 on mac)

Ok, so I've been using PS for over 10 years, but just casually and without instruction, never really used some of the tools/features that might be common to others (just used a gradient for the first time today! my goal for the next ten yeras is to figure out what a mask does ;) ), usually just figuring out my own way to achieve the effect.

Anywho, while trying to get the line tool to go thinner than 1 point (presumably need to change the pt to cm or something to get below a value of 1) I accidentally enabled (via the drop down menu in the upper left) a tool preset that turns the line tool into an arrow line tool- which kinda cool for some future purpose i can file away for, but the problem is I can't figure out how to disable the sucker! I just want the standard line tool back.

How do I undo or turn off a tool preset?

EDIT- nevermind, I found it with some help- "reset tool".

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, great to hear!

I was just about to request a screen grab. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.