main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Old Republic: Annihilation by Drew K

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 29, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From the SW Facebook page:

"First, DARTH BANE and REVAN author Drew Karpyshyn is cranking away on his next novel, STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC: ANNIHILATION. Republic agent Theron Shan and his Twi?lek compadre, Teff?ith (from Dark Horse Comics? STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC: THE LOST SUNS) must contend with a Sith Empire counter-attack against the Republic, spearheaded by the lethal apprentice of Darth Malgus. Satele Shan and Jace Malcolm co-star in what will be a fast-paced and tension-fraught tale based on the award-winning video game from BioWare and LucasArts."

Also said to go on sale November 13 of this year, right around my birthday!

And as long as Jace Malcolm does NOT die, not much can go wrong with this novel. Looking forward to it.

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    The Lost Suns wasn't even that interesting....to be honest I'd rather get Mandorla.

3. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I think I'd take both novels.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    A Theron Shan novel by Karpyshyn. Now that sounds boring.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I still think Drew really needs to write a non Jedi/Sith Star Wars novel, because his non-Sith stuff in the first Darth Bane novel was great (especially the Sabacc scene), but I really can?t get myself to care for his Sith books, but that might just be me. So a Theron Shan novel might be intresting, even though he is a Semi-Jedi. :/

6. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Agreed. Way less interesting than a Sunrider novel.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Like I said in the other thread: A tie in to a modern video game is going to sell far more copies to the general public than a continuation of a ten year old comic series.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't think I've ever been less excited by a Star Wars book. And usually I buy everything.

Consider my reaction in the Mandorla thread the same as the one here.

Just reversed.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just got the weird mental image of Darth Vader screaming "YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!" upon hearing that he's single again :p

Darkslayer and SithStarSlayer like this.
  10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Gotta say, I was hoping it would be something about Revan, possibly a tie-in to a future expansion pack...

Oh well. Could be interesting. Theran Shan hinted at being an interesting character in the comic, but didn't have much time to develop. The fact that he does have the potential to become a very powerful Force user, but instead relies on more "profane" talents, could make for something interesting.

More than anything, I'm looking forward to more Satele Shan.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm wildly unexcited!

12. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    I liked Drew on the Bane trilogy...had some good stuff here and there mixed in with more cliche scenes and some horribly boring side characters. But Revan ruined it for me, what an awful disappointment. I still have his mass effect books lying around, may read them someday but I don't know, definitely prefer the Nomi book over this. I'd take just about anything over yet another tie-in to this video game.

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    While I'm glad to hear another story about Theron Shan, the rest of the summary sounds so... generic. "Satele Shan! Jace Malcom! Darth Malgus' apprentice!" Well, guess Malgus is busy, so they just made up an apprentice to stand-in (unless they were in the game, haven't gotten that far yet). But basically some of the big names that didn't do much in the game itself. Too bad its not the Lost Suns author. The Revan novel turned out... meh, at best. Just hope it lines up better with the game than the Revan novel did (SWTOR references events in the novel, but... the details don't quite match up). And it doesn't help that the Nomi novel was just cancelled.

I think Karpyshyn stepped down from Bioware to focus on novel writing? Hopefully this'll turn out better than the Revan novel did (I'm almost curious to see how Theron and that Twi'lek ended up working together again), but the title doesn't inspire much interest either.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

If by busy, you mean dead, then sure ;). Malgus was killed in "The False Emperor" flashpoint. Very fun fight, as well.

(Probably doesn't need to be blacked out, but I did just in case, considering TOR is much longer than the average SW work).

I don't believe we got any mention of Malgus's apprentice... frankly, I don't like the idea that he had an apprentice, but it's too early to pass judgement. He seemed to disconnected from traditional Sith traditions and values, I guess I always figured him the type to not train an apprentice. He declared himself the new Emperor, after all... though I guess he might want an heir.

15. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Glad to see this, really liked his Bane trilogy. Also glad to see Malgus' apprentice is in here. Really liked Malgus in Decieved and hope he features in this novel with his apprentice.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Unfortunately, I don't think that will work out so well [face_beatup]

Just to clarify, this is supposed to take place after the events of TOR, right? That was my original impression, coupled with something I thought I read by Drew (may have imagined it), but if this takes place during TOR, it would allow Malgus to be in on the action.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In what way?

18. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I'm pretty sure this novel is set in the beginning of TOR.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Particularly the way Scourge describes it. Unfortunately I don't remember exact details, but he describes the scene in a very abstract way, and makes no mention of killing the Exile. Also of note is that Scourge actually refers to her as the Exile, and not Meetra Surik (in fact, that name is not used even once in TOR). It can be chalked up to him just hiding important details from the Knight, though.

I actually really do love the way Scourge described both Revan and the Exile, though. Wish there would have been more conversations relating to them. And the Sith Triumvirate were name dropped, so of course that made me giddy (the Sith that comprise the triumvirate are easily some of the most interesting ever created, IMO). That also raises the question of how exactly Scourge knew about them... maybe the Exile told Revan about them, and the Emperor got that information from his mind, which he gave to Scourge? Or perhaps Traya simply left records behind.

There are other examples that I don't explicitly remember, Nobody might be able to take that. I got a lot of the dialogue pertaining to the events of Revan were written before Drew K started writing the novel.

20. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'd buy it. The Lost Suns series wasn't superb, but it was interesting enough.

21. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I thought the Lost suns had ugly art and was boring

22. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    So is this what got the Sunrider novel canned? :(

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably not, since this was announced back in November, same with Zahn's Han Solo novel.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I also really doubt this novel has anything to do with the Sunrider cancellation.

As for the novel itself... who knows. As I recall, people were really excited about Revan, and some were disappointed... maybe this one won't stir up much hype, but will turn out to be really surprising? :). Like I said, I think that Theran has the potential to be a decently interesting character. Could be really cool if this takes place around the time Revan is freed, too. I really wanted to sit in on Revan's meeting with the Council and Satele.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This has potential, yes.