main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The PGA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Apr 12, 2009.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The PGA championship is going on in my hometown of Sheboygan, Wisconsin this weekend. Last time it was held there I was on a boat on lake Michigan and got to see some action. The area where Whistling Straits is located is also a place where we held beer keg parties and made out with girls in highschool. Of course back then it was a gravel road and corn fields running up to the wooded area right before the lake. Anyways I will be rooting for Steve Stricker as usual. Come on buddy, get a major under your belt.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Corey Pavin and Jim Gray get into it.

On Wednesday morning, Pavin said on Twitter that he was misquoted, and he said in the press conference that Gray's report was "incorrect." After Pavin finished taking questions Wednesday afternoon, he and Gray confronted each other in the Whistling Straits media center.

Standing nose-to-nose with Pavin, Gray called him a liar and said, "You're going down." Pavin responded, "You're full of it." The confrontation took place in front of media members assembled for Pavin's press conference with his counterpart from the European team, Colin Montgomerie.

lol

You're going down?

I've always considered Jim Gray to be a bit of a weasel and a moron.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  4. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I lost any kind of repect for him after the Pete Rose interview. What a jack ass.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Dustin Johnson in the lead now.

6. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Wow what a weird ending to the PGA Championship.

7. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    He only has himself to blame since he apparently didn't read the notice about bunkers that was handed out and posted all over the place before the tournament began. Good thing he didn't sink that putt, though.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  9. -JediJordan-

-JediJordan- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2011
    Great link [face_laugh]

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Some of those are terrible... but some pretty funny ones, too.

Woods with a great back nine today to get to -7 and in a tie for third. Can he provide some weekend excitement?

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    uh, don't look now.

12. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeah, things are bunching up. Might come down to the wire.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tiger's putter failing him again. missed chippies on 12 for par and 15 for eagle.

edit: still, he'll be the low man in the clubhouse when he finishes his round. think he needs to birdie at least one of the last three holes to have any shot at a playoff.

14. -JediJordan-

-JediJordan- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2011
    And McIlroy with a brutal double bogey on 12. Ouch.

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    That poor Irish kid fell apart. :_|

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    woods in the clubhouse at ten under. has an outside shot at a playoff, but will basically need a miracle. scott at eleven under, having trouble on 15 but 4 other players also at ten under.

edit: how sweet would a six-way playoff with tiger woods involved be though?

17. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm Down for that.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Looks like Scott is starting to pull away now. Heck of a front nine from Tiger, though.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    not exactly pulling away, no. schwartzel's still one shot back. but tiger's chances are pretty much nil.

edit: and schwartzel does it in style, with a birdie on 18 that he didn't even need. closes his round with four straight birdies under all that pressure, amazing.

20. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    4 birdies on the last 4 holes to win. Madd Skillz.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    for tiger, losing by four had to make those two putts sting a little less. but he still has to wonder if he'd posted 12 under would schwartzel have tightened up a bit?

22. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I was pulling for Jason Day

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    That was quite possibly one of the best days of golf I have ever seen.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    There are two things that make the Masters great:

1. Same course every year, so you know the holes so well. I think I know the back nine there better than on some courses that I played regularly.

2. Anything can happen on the back nine, with so many risk reward holes. survive 10 and 12, attack 13-16, survive 17 and especially 18. Even with the course changes i the past decade, eagles are still possible on the par 5s, but can be a disaster if you come up short on your approach. The 12th is a brutally difficult par 3 when the hole is on the back right, as it is every year on Sunday (just ask Tom Weiskopf). 14, 16, 17 and even 18 are potential birdies -- but the potential for a bogie is prevalent on each of them as wel, especially late Sunday afternoon.

Great job by Schwartzel -- birdying the last two under that pressure is fantastic.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I made the comment about Scott pulling away when it looked like he was on the verge of going up 2 on the field... before Schwartzel started his strong finish. Great day of golf!

Also, I feel really sorry for McIlroy, but I think he'll have another shot and a nice career ahead of him.