main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Possibillity of Palpatine's Ghost....

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LottDodd, Nov 15, 2012.

1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    If the Sequel Trillogy is truly going to be a part of the Saga, then the problems first set forth in The Phantom Menace must still be of relevance in 7, 8, and 9.... otherwise they become an appendix, a "further adventures of."

The first two trillogies are driven by the machinations of Darth Sidious.... A man who wounded the galaxy so deeply that even by the Sequels, the galaxy is still suffering the consequence of his actions. Perhaps it believes it has finally moved on, but it's scars have yet to heal.

No place is that more obvious than in the Jedi Order.... somehow passed on through Luke (in ways I imagine will be much different than established EU) has been bottlenecked.... A before Palpatine, and an after Palpatine.

Regaurdless of whether we see him or not, Darth Sidious cast a long shadow.... and new revelations about him will be discussed on film somewhere in the trilogy...

But perhaps, The Phantom Menace will live up to his name and appear in Spectral Form.... Ghosts are nothing new to the Star Wars Movies, and "Spirits" are one thing 30's and 40's adventurers fought in the old serials that havent been touched upon in the movies.

Whether he is the main baddie, or a shadow of his former self, perhaps a dissembodied voice... or a mere harbinger in a vision... I believe it would be a service to the new Trilogy to somehow include Ian Mcdiarmid....

TreborSabreon, Dra--- and BarkingFrog like this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Part of Ep.3 the notion that the Sith tried to extend life "unnaturally," while the Jedi managed to gain "eternal life" through compassion--or at least, via the training that Qui-Gon gave Yoda and Obi-Wan.. so I don't see that happening.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If we have to have a Sith come back from the dead, it should be Tenebrous.

4. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    It goes against the whole philosophies of the Jedi/Sith, and the very thing that differentiates the dark and light sides of the Force.

So no.

5. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't see Darth Sidious returning at all, however if it were to happen, it would probably work best if it happened via holocron found by a morally wavering Jedi.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  6. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Not a chance, the idea that if you are good then your spirit lives forever is a powerful one and has ties to myth and religion.

I think it will be possible that a Jedi will fall and become a Sith all on his lonesome.

7. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Sith do not come back as Force ghosts, so no. It would ruin the ending of ROTJ if Palpatine were to come back at all.

eht13 likes this.
  8. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd like to see him in the film, in some form. Not a clone, not brought back to life, but through references, flashbacks, holograms, etc. He's one of my favorite characters, so I definitely wouldn't be opposed.

9. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    His ghost doesn't need to show itself. Talk of his return is haunting enough already.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Regardless of where the EU/Lucas/the writers sit currently regarding the idea of Sith spirits, I would not be opposed to Palpatine returning as one. However, I do believe that if they do use the idea of a Sith ghost it should be quite a bit different than that of a Jedi Force ghost. The Jedi ghosts seem entirely as they did in life aside from lacking corporeal form. With a Sith ghost I'd prefer something more "hellish" like a broken/insane consciousness degrading by obsessively clinging to the Dark Side or something like that. It shouldn't just be Palpatine strolling around as a ghost like the Jedi do.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    While I am against Palpatine returning in almost any way shape or form, I do admit that this sounds very cool.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  12. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Nah, I think Yoda should make a comeback as a ghost. If the movie where to have Palpatine in it, I would rather them retcon is death, and having him survive on way or another..A sith Ghost doesn't sit right with me at all.

13. Darth Ox

Darth Ox Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    What about the posibility of part or all of the movie taking part in the "force" side or call it the afterlife side, or what ever. All former jedi and sith could be present.

14. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I recall in the Thrawn Trilogy that Han, Leia, and Chewie had to go back to Endor for some reason (hey's it's been about 15 years plus since read it) and while in orbit they passed though the area where the Death Star exploded. Leia, because she was force sensitive, passed out or something when passing through the dark remnant that was left where Palpatine had died. That to me is about the only plausible way anything left of a dead sith lord should be used in the ST. This is very similar to the cave on Dagobah. Again as stated above, the Sith tried so hard to attain the power of immortality, but it was only the Jedi who figured out the way.

15. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Who taught Vader how to be a force ghost at the end of the Return of the Jedi? Because at the end of the Revenge of the Sith, Kenobi didn't know how to yet until Yoda taught him after that, & Vader went to the dark side. So, if the Emperor taught Vader, then does that mean that the Emperor will come back as a ghost, too?

Whoever taught Vader how to be a ghost will answer this question most likely. If the Emperor was the only one that was able to teach Vader how to be a ghost, then the Emperor might come back as a ghost, too. Unless, if Vader, being the chosen one, gets to be put in the hall of fame & automatically gets a free gift from the living force to be a ghost.

Wait, I mean, the master of Kenobi is the one that taught Kenobi & Yoda, but he never taught Anakin or Vader, I do not think.

16. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Not everyone learns Force ghosting. Some just ARE.

lord_eidolon likes this.
  17. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    So Vader didn't have to learn how to be a ghost while Kenobi & Yoda did?

18. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Probably.

19. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    This is the official story behind Anakin being a Force Ghost...

Darth Vader learned of this ability through Darth Sidious, and upon his death, the spirits of Kenobi and Yoda completed his training by granting him the last step in becoming a spirit. Anakin's spirit appeared as that of his younger self, prior to his fall to the dark side.

Thus he actually learned how to do this AFTER he died and became one with the Force thanks to Obi-Wan and Yoda.

20. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    It is the general assumption that because he is the "Chosen One" he would automatically know how to do it. Being birthed by the Force and all means he should know how to become one with the Force.

Basic Darth Vader knowledge.

lord_eidolon likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That conspicuously unsourced quote, wherever it is copied from, is NOT the "official story". Vader did not learn anything about the ability from Palpatine. It is a light side ability and Palpatine doesn't know it.

According to Lucas that's not accurate; he was assisted by Obi-Wan/Yoda.

22. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Maybe it just happens to some people...it does not HAVE to be learned, right?
    Wolf Sazen.

23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Maybe it doesn't matter.

lord_eidolon and thesevegetables like this.
  24. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It is not a lightside only power... you need to frequent wookipedia more...

Certain Sith Lords had also discovered similar techniques. Occasionally their bodies would fade as Jedi would, though like Jedi this was not a prerequisite for becoming a Force Ghost. It was not uncommon for the spirits of Sith Lords to remain, bound to the living world through an object, location, or simply due to the force of their malice and hatred. Unlike the Jedi, however, the Sith found little peace in this form, instead existing for restless centuries, eventually driven insane by solitude, memories, or dark side inflicted madness. In many ways, these techniques differed from those taught by the Jedi; the most distinct difference being the user's limited ability to interact with his surroundings. Arguably, the most proficient user of such a technique was Exar Kun.

Here's a list of known Sith Force Ghosts...

Known Force ghosts

Sith

In Order of Death:

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  25. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Do, or do not.

There is no try.