main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The potential for Superstations/Superweapons in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    So, Death Stars have technically appeared in 2/3s of star wars episodes, each time with a vastly different 'flavor', from the teasing hologram in AotC, the construction site in RotS, and the two very different battle scenes in ANH and RotJ. It is presumable, since the first DS took *at least* fifteen years or so to build, and the second, which was supposedly bigger, took much less apparent time to build. Of course I'm a fanatic, so I sorta filled in the blanks by assuming they were working on both Death Stars concurrently.

This somewhat convoluted train of though got me wondering if there were even MORE partly completed Death Stars out there, which may finished by Imperial remnants or perhaps a third party. I know Return of the Jedi is criticized for using the DS2 as a redundant plot device, but would in not be cool to see even MORE of the evil space stations in the ST.

I'm imagining two little Death Stars orbiting a gigantic one.

Just speculation. Wha'd'y'all think?

MODified: Title edited at author's request.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It is interesting how Death Stars were the ultimate evil before the PT was released.

4. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I don't think they should use death stars. The main reason being, if anyone had enough money to build such a thing, you think they'd be well-equipped to fix the enormous design flaws that keep getting them blown up.

5. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Ugh. No thanks.

6. ForeverSleep

ForeverSleep Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2004
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In light of the prequels, I've come to the conclusion that Palpatine considers Death Stars disposable.

8. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    Well yeah, granted.

But if they DID fix the enormous design flaws?

Sending X-Wings to blow up Death Stars is passe. Death Stars are not.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In ROTJ, originally there were supposed to be dozens of Deaths Stars under construction near Coruscant.

I think Death Stars are now a Star Wars theme, with the PT. They could be used again in the ST, but it has to be in the right way. Like having a dozen fully-functional and built Death Stars, with no weakness on the outside, that require the heroes to infiltrate them and blow them up from sabotaging the inside. Or something like that.

The flaw was fixed for the second one, which was also larger. That's why the Rebels had to strike before its construction was finished.

10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

[​IMG]

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    No more Death Stars. It's time to come up with something new.

The topic should be "what new weapon will the villains have to threaten the galaxy?"

Darth_Pevra and Episode Swag like this.
  12. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    A biological weapon that attacks and destroys midi-chlorians would be interesting.

13. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    ...I take it back.

14. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Something like the Eclipse Super Star Destroyers from the EU would be a truly epic thing to see, rather than just a rehash of something that was already rehashed once before, I found the Eclipse to be far more fearsome in comparison to the Death Star(s), a Super Star Destroyer with a Death Star super-laser running along the spine of the ship? an SSD even bigger than the Executor? DANG.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No more Death Stars please.

16. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Those are called "Good Writers". I hope Michael Arndt does a good job.

Joe Antonetti, Sarge and Episode Swag like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    correction: Good writers are the bio-terrorists and retcons are the bio-weapons.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think Death Stars will be so common place in the ST era that they'll be used as shuttles. It's the most logical step forward. :p

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If the Republic uses Death Stars, watch out Korriban!

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Death Stars will be shooting at other Death Stars while a fleet of Death Stars unloads laser hell onto a Death Star landing strip.

21. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    No 'blanks' needing to be filled in... the new "Star Wars" ongoing from Dark Horse shows us the 2nd Death Star, under construction and really not all that different from its appearance in ROTJ, just several months after ANH. The implication is clear that it's been under construction for many years (tho I don't recall if the script of the comics says as much), and they've been tightening the schedule (in scenes very similar to those in ROTJ) likely because the first one was destroyed, so they want the new one done ASAP. They probably figured "Hey, one's done... it'll be several years before the 2nd, larger one is finished, but at least we'll have the one, right guys? What could POSSIBLY go wrong?"

Anyhoo... no more Death Stars. Who's gonna build it? The Empire was beheaded, probably a lot of chaos ensuing, and it doesn't really make sense for some new threat to rely on an old Imperial weapon as their main source of firepower.

22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013

Source? (Very curious. I know the Jedi Academy Trilogy had prototypes being constructed in the Maw cluster, but didn't know about Coruscant models).

23. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    And many Bothans were quite pissed-off by this.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Justifiably so...

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    Apparently everyone hates Death Stars...

To me, it makes no sense to introduce the concept of planet-killing weapons so early in the story, and that they never end up being put to sufficiently evil use before the end, Alderaan notwithstanding.

Just to be clear, I'd like see a highly improved form of Death Star, which *succeeds* in destroying multiple worlds and gripping the galaxy in fear, rather than a simple rehash of that which came before. Like Tarkin said in ANH, fear of such a station can keep rebellious star systems in line. With a well-defended Death Star, you wouldn't even NEED an Empire to control the galaxy.

Yes! Like this exactly.

Dra---, Minez01 and Summer Dreamer like this.