main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The potential for Superstations/Superweapons in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Jun 17, 2013.

1. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Yes, a simple solution like having a grill over all the various external vents and exhaust ports so that rebel fighters and ships can't keep torpedoing/flying into the superstructure and blowing it up. Simple and relatively cheap!

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Second Death Star wasn't complete and Palpatine died while it was in battle, so its destruction doesn't count.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    After the Collapse of the Empire Many weapons were left scattered through the Universe. One such weapon is the Semi constructed -Super Star Destroyer "Eclipse" Captured by Tyber Zann and the Zann Consortium. This Super Star Destroyer held a weapon as strong as the Death Star. The Entire story goes as follows:

Shortly after the Battle of Endor, Tyber managed to capture the Eclipse, and destroyed another Super Star Destroyer. Zann proceeded to steal billions of credits, technical data spanning for decades, and priceless works of art, from Emperor Palpatine's personal vault network, thus ensuring that the Consortium expand to Galactic levels. After his theft, Tyber decided to abandon the Eclipse as it would be a "target even the Rebels could not ignore." The Eclipse was later recovered by Imperial forces, who continued its construction. Zann also decided to let the Rebel Alliance form their New Republic, as he viewed its creation as an opportunity to allow him to "own a senator."
    The Consortium was also intent on discovering the mysteries of the ancient Sith holocron, stolen from Jabba while he was making a deal with the Galactic Empire on Felucia. However, Silri, a Nightsister in Zann's employ, stole the holocron during the theft on Coruscant before they could decipher it, and unlocked its secrets. The artifact led her to an ancient Sith tomb, with thousands of Sith soldiers frozen in carbonite.

[face_hypnotized]

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Darth Plagueis shows up in the ST, might he have been responsible for the weaknesses of the Death Stars?

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Please don't bring Plagueis into every single discussion in this forum until he is confirmed to be more than a few EU fans' wishful speculation. Random Darth Plagueis Trolling would be, quite possibly, the lamest form of trolling ever.

DarthRelaxus, Dra--- and KevinM1 like this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Where else did I bring up Plagueis besides the villain thread?

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    2 posts above this one.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant besides that too.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It was a general "warning" to not take it further than that.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Alright.

11. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Wasn't there a super star destroyer introduced in Empire at War: FOC expansion that actually had a death star superlaser built into it that could destroy planets and capital ships? I don't remember the name of it, but something like that could be possible I suppose.Actually was it called Devastator? Or am I getting mixed up with Transformers?

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It was called Eclipse, I believe.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Only if the brought in 2 Death Stars and the good guys used one to 'splode the other and they keep the remaining so the good guys get a superweapon for a change.

But that's not gonna happen.

14. The_Coon

The_Coon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2013
    superstations?

what to TBS and TNT have to do with star wars?

:)

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was the Eclipse- though its first appearance in the EU was way back in the early 90s, with the Dark Empire comic book series.

It was not capable of actually shattering planets- though it could crack the crust and render the planet uninhabitable- even if the planet had a shield.

Oddly, the much smaller Conqueror, a heavily modified Imperial Star Destroyer:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Conqueror_(superlaser)

was supposedly capable of shattering at least small planetoids.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke, Han, and Leia will sneak out of the Death Star at night, lower the shields, and let the rest of you in.... Oh. Well... Perhaps if we built a giant wooden bantha...

No more superweapons,please! I would much rather see a smart villain who can threaten the galaxy without any resources. Thrawn proved that kind of villain can carry a SW story.

Iron_lord and VanishingReality like this.
  17. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of airing 2 hours of Friends every weekday afternoon.

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of 8 hours of Bones and Castle every weekday.

...or, combined & simplified...

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Turner.

The_Coon likes this.
  18. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    That's very interesting, I'd never actually heard of the Conqueror before now. And yes, very odd that a 1.6km long seemingly normal Star Destroyer with a death star laser thrown onto the bottom is more powerful than a 17.5km long super star destroyer designed specifically to be similar to that of the death star. Oh well.

Having said all that, I'm not crash hot on the design of the Eclipse to be honest. It's less star warsy than a lot of the other ships going around, looks more like something out of an alien sci-fi series.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Still looks wedge-shaped, at least.

20. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I don't think we'll see another Death Star. I'm pretty sure in the 30 or so years between ROTJ and Episode VII, the Rebel Alliance would have seized control and/or destroyed most Imperial resources used to build planet killing space stations.

Even the whole super weapon idea, I'm not keen on that because it's been done twice in this saga thus far.

21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I love me some superweapons. I love the Death Star. So yes, give me a whole fleet of the suckers.

I also like the idea of the Super Death Star. We've already had the wonderful Super Star Destroyers. So let's supe one up.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Perhaps a powerful Jedi could destroy them with their mind.

23. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Like Kermit the Frog on that episode of Muppet Babies.

24. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Palps did some crazy stuff in DE. Anything on that scale?

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I quite liked the idea of Star Forge from KOTOR. While it is "super" it is technically not a weapon - the fact that Malak and Revan used it to manufacture battleships was just their choice, since the Forge could be used to make pretty much anything if I recall correctly.
    Something like that would be interesting, not as crude as "point a laser and blow **** up" kind of weapon. Something that is not inherently evil, can be used for good or ill, depending in whose hands it is.

I would also say that chemical and biological weapons might be a bit too "dark" for Star Wars. Besides, they lack that impressive look that is associated with most badass weapons in the SW universe.
    A greenish mist may be quite deadly, but you won't see people printing t-shirts with that on them. A big Star Destroyer on the other hand...

Darth Eddie likes this.