main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Realm of Fae'Run: Forgotten Realms discussion (Books, games etc)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Amon_Amarth, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    hmm. Was that intentional? Ender_sai said he altered the title in the first post.

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    It is Ender-sai who should be congradulated, Jedi_Drizzt, not I. I didn't know about the origins of the Faerun's name, but thanks for the info. :)

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm sure many of you know this already but the D&D 1980's cartoon is on dvd now. I got it as a Christmas present. :D if you want a nice nastolgic throwback to Saturday Morning cartoons along with game stats for the major characters I recommend you pick it up.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Torm, I think. Although Torm's biggest claim to faith is being in the Triumvirate and slaying Bane, he's very much about self-focus and discipline.

Tyr is a bit too self righteous for my liking, and I'm not sure about Helm's neutrality.

Flare, yeah, it was intentional to use the 2.0-era spelling for the continent. ;)

E_S

5. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I had no idea it was spelled that way before.

BTW, in what books did Bane come back?

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok, not exactly the Forgotten Realms, but The Order of the Stick is one of the funneist things you may ever read. That is page 1, they are on 404. Have fun!

7. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Yeah, that's been my favorite webcomic for years.

8. Jedi_Drizzt

Jedi_Drizzt Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    They are hilarious! [face_laugh] That bard-boy reminds me of a girl from my D&D party (also a bard). ;)

9. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Great webcomic. I LOLed. :p

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    For you old time game players who have the 1983 basic boxed game the latest issue of Dungeon magazine features a stat build for Bargle the magic user and a brief history. I just thought it a nice bit of nostalgia to here about the "unknown warrior" who confronted Bargle and saved the cleric Aleema. Apparently bargle went on but dropped out of sight. They draw him up as a 16th level wizard. I have not purchased the issue yet but I probabaly will soon.

11. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    lol, I remember Bargle. That was before the Forgotten Realms. Whats the issue #? My store is usually behind.

Bargle did appear in the module Red Arrow, Black Shield (I think). He was like almost immortal-level, but that was D&D Basic 1st edition.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I believe the latest issue is #144.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It appears Szass Tam is about to make his move.

Unclean

Good. You understand now.

I?m not your beloved anymore. I?m Unclean -- foul, and a slave to creatures fouler still.

Please . . . please . . . destroy me if you can.

14. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Looks like Salvatore is finally going to deal with that giant cliff hanger he created in "The Two Swords." The next Drizzt novel, titled "The Orc King", comes out this September in hard cover.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Has anyone read The Yellow Silk? Apparently it features a bard as the lead and there is a monk character as well. The cover depicts the monk kicking someone in the face.

16. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Sweet! The things you find when you stroll through the forums. :)

I just got introduced to the Realms in a D&D campaign I'm currently in. It's set post Time of Troubles. I a play slightly scatterbrained cleric of Mystra who's party is about to enter Waterdeep.

I do intend to start picking up the books. Can anyone give a good suggestion as to where to start?

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Do any of you have a list (in order) of the books and how they should be read?

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned this book before. I just picked up the first of the Haunted Lands series which is called Unclean. It appears to be all about the Zulkirs of Thay finally going to war with each other.

21. Jedi_Drizzt

Nov 11, 2006
    Pretty handy link. Thanks. :)

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    You are welcome too.

This ,Unclean, is pretty good. Not great! But decent. Szass Tam is definately trying to take over. The Zulkirs are trying to keep him in check, but it appears he has ways around them. I have not finished yet so I don't know if Tam will get beyond his first real hurdle. A couple of Zulkirs are killed off, one especially famous among FR fans, but his death is implied. The good guy making his way through the book is a bard who had just returned from a 6 year jaunt around the Realms to find his girlfriend, who he had left behind, had been sold into slavery and was sent on her way to the Red Wizards. I'll be honest that I would rather there were less of the good guys and more of the Zulkirs, but the situation between the bard and his lady is interesting.

23. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I picked up the TPB for the Legend of Drizzt re-issue of Streams of Silver, and it happened to have the titles for the latest Drizzt series, which called Transitions. They are The Orc King, which will be released later this year, the Pirate King, which has a 2008 release, and the Ghost King, which has a 2009 release date.

Also, I've piked up the comic adaption of the Crystal Shard, and found it to underwhelming. The series is pretty the diet version of the Drizzt novels.

24. Jedi_Drizzt

Nov 11, 2006
    Does anyone here know who is the author of the Crystal Shard comic?

25. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Andrew Dabb drew it, the writer is still Salvatore. I remember seeng a cool preview before I actually bought the comic. Here: http://www.devilsdue.net/icewind_dale/p2000_articleid/164/p2000_page/1
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.