main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Redemption of Jar Jar Binks

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Buddha Fett, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would prefer that there is no mention of him whatsoever. He's a character best left in the past IMO.

2. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This might have been a Supershadow thing, but wasn't there some sort of George Lucas commentary on the ROTS bonus material that indicated Binks was in service to Bail Organa on Alderaan at the time it was destroyed?

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No.

4. Tensionhead

Tensionhead Jedi Master star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    maybe in a (non-canon) novel is where i read it....i wouldnt go around quoting s.s. willynilly.

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't mind if Jar-Jar had at least a minor role in the ST, but he'd be much older. Seeing some of his descendants would however be interesting.

6. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Jar Jar served his purpose. He's a perfect example of how Palpatine could manipulate Senators to vote for a dictator. Palpatine loves having dupes like Jar Jar in the Senate.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Absolutely not.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    What's a Gungun's lifespan? How fast do they age? If he were to have a cameo, would it be old man Jar Jar or the same clumsy fool we all love/hate? I'm taking the mick. I don't see any purpose for Jar Jar (in the ST).

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    "The Last Redemption of Jar Jar" ended long again. He was not redeemed.

10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm a fan of Jar-Jar (yes really), but he has always been a background/side character. I mentioned this in another thread, but I would like a scene in EP7 that features him. Assuming he as about 20 years old in TPM, he'd be around 90 to 100 years old in EP7. I think a small scene where he is a minor character, lets say Luke runs into him, and surprisingly they realize their connection. A few lines from Jar-Jar explaining how he knew Luke's father when he was just a boy, maybe even explains that "the Jedi known as Qui-Gon" saved his life. Maybe this accidentally causes Luke to search out the history of Qui-Gon. As far as we know, Obi-Wan only explained to Luke that his master was Yoda.

But anyway I digress. I would like to see an older, wiser, less clumsy Jar-Jar give one last performance. Maybe he is on his death bed. I would like the scene to be so sad that all the Jar-Jar haters actually feel bad for him and embrassed that they hated him so much (you reading this Michael Arndt?). However this has to be a short scene, there is a LOT that needs to happen in EP7, and even being a fan of Jar-Jar, I know that it has to be short and sweet.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    An wise elder Senator Binks is something I would not mind seeing. Give him a few lines, like a Mon Mothma role, and make his voice pleasing to the ears.

Yes, he brought down The Phantom Menace, but I don't think he's beyond saving.

12. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    If one of George's close friends to had simply taken him aside and said, "Seriously, George. We need to talk..." maybe there wouldn't be Jar Jar haters. Maybe he would just be remembered as this sort of cool successful all CGI character. Step further. Maybe had such a loathsome character not been included in TPM, there would have been less Star Wars backlash altogether. I know from the viewing of edits where his role is greatly diminished and his voice changed from the Jamaican caricature to something more dignified, that the entire movie is lifted up into the likable zone. Without his antics, even I, a supposed PT hater, actually find TPM somewhat enjoyable. The plot holes, the wooden acting, the dated CGI, etc. all become much more tolerable bordering on even enjoyable without George Lucas's version of Jar Jar.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing him as a much older and wiser character to tie the two trilogies together with the sequel trilogy, but I think that happening is better left to a novel as opposed to something which happens in the films.

Dra--- and FRAGWAGON like this.
  14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The perceptions are entirely different. You're confusing "loved/hated" with "popular/unpopular." Vader was popular, irrespective of whether he was a "bad guy" or not, and more importantly, understanding his backstory was essential to understanding the saga as a whole. Jar Jar is unpopular, irrespective of whether he was a "good guy" or not, and no one can say with a straight face that understanding his story would in any way be essential to understanding the saga as a whole.

There's no purpose served by going any farther with Jar Jar in the movies; he may yet have a redemption of some kind, assuming that what they haven't already given us on TCW isn't in fact it, and there is in fact a place for that kind of story, but it has no place in the ST, other than that you personally apparently want to see him in it. And I'm sorry, but that's not a good enough reason..

Dra--- and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  15. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Even if ST Jar Jar was the most incredible character to ever grace the silver screen, winning numerous awards like Oscars, Golden Globes, etc for animation and acting, causing international spiritual growth, inciting humanity to transcend it's petty differences, and influencing the leaders of Middle East nations to forge lasting peace, I still wouldn't feel an ounce differently about PT Jar Jar being one of the worst executed characters in movies.

16. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I like the idea of a depressed Binks wallowing in self-pity, downing yet another scotch in a sleazy a Coruscant bar *lol*

17. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    Honestly, I struggle to imagine that redemption is even a remote possibility for Representative Binks.

Dra--- and DarthKreVass like this.
  18. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I’d like to see at least a nod or mention to Jar Jar. Maybe they could bring him back as a wiser man, not broken in spirits though. He could have helped a few Jedi and maybe even have a few ties to the Rebellion.

And those who are saying that Jar Jar is stupid because he practically created the empire answer this. Where did he get all the votes from? Yea that’s right, everyone else in the senate. Thus he’s not as stupid as we though!

19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Huh? That doesn't make him less stupid, it just makes him less alone in his stupidity

Dra--- and Chief Chirpa of Endor like this.
  20. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Age will not bring wisdom to Jar Jar.

21. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I talk to politicians for a living, and believe me... getting votes has nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence. No. Thing. There are very few smart politicians. Mostly they are, at best, of average intelligence and have lots o friends. Jar Jar is exactly the kind of stupid dupe the bureaucrats want in office,

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    "Oh God, why George Lucas.. why?!"

23. hawkeye forever

hawkeye forever Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm all for the redemption of Jar Jar Binks if they go the Robot Chicken route and you find out that he was actually a Sith Lord. Would make him such a better character and a genius. Make it happen.

24. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
  25. MaeveSkywalker

MaeveSkywalker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Jar Jar the Sith Lord. Now that would be just, well, words escape me at the moment.