main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The "RotJ sucks" meme

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mond, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Darthman1992

Darthman1992 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2011
    =D= =D= =D=

(Yeah, I like clapping, plus I just learned how to use the little face icons. Took a few months but hey)

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with this. Some people take the arguments too far and quite frankly too seriously.

2. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I even like the song and dance number that was added in Jabba's Palace.

I have never encountered anyone on the entire internet who shares this view. Possibly I am stupid...

3. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Nah, Jedi Rocks>Lapti Nek. I declare it objective fact.

4. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    I also prefer Jedi Rocks. It's just so weird, it's pretty much what you would expect from "alien" pop music.

ROTJ is actually the only special edition that I prefer of the OOT version.

5. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I generally prefer the originals over the SEs, but I also think "Jedi Rocks" was an improvement! I also like that they made Fett look like a ladies man in that sequence.

6. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I started hearing of it about the same time TPM came out.

Critics bashed both films while praising ANH and ESB.

However, I prefer ROTJ and TPM to the latter two.

7. henderson

henderson Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Well that one had virtually no changes made. Except for the Jedi rocks and the New celebration song it was basically the Original movie. I do like Jedi rocks for all its goofyness, but out of nostalgia I prefer Lapti Nek.

This is something found in both SW and Star Trek. Say if someone enjoys Star Trek 5, said person is looked at as an outcast. Yeah, Star trek 5 is a masterpiece in horrible filmaking but if a person likes it, who cares. Besides,ST fans have longs since figured out how to just ignore the movie. To most ST fans ST 5 was never made. TMP and ROTJ are nowhere near as bad as that movie. The're not even bad movies to begin with. If they were would we really be discussing either of them in an internet forum 10 or 28 years after they were made? If they were THAT bad they would've been fogotten along with the other bad movies to have ever been made. And it being SW or a part of some larger franchise would've made no difference. Remember Jaws? Remember Jaws the revenge? Remember anone discussing Jaws the revenge? Exactly/

8. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    This reminds me of one thing that grates on me even more than the insults: the assertion that TPM is an OBJECTIVELY bad movie because it violates the ironclad rules of filmmaking or whatever.

Dear god that's irritating.

JainaSoloYJK and Valairy Scot like this.
  9. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Agreed. I also prefer Victory Celebration over Yub Nub. *shudders*

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Seriously.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY?

[image=http://torwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ewok_Sith_concept_art-500x464.jpg]

12. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Yup. I had to stop talking to a friend who said that. Maybe that makes me inflexible, but as a Star Wars fan and an appreciator of unruly things I had to draw the line.

13. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Disowning a friend is a bit over the top. Unless he ranted about "the magical heart of childhood innocence", in which case good riddance.

I'm probably going to be mocked for saying this, but one of my favorite aspects of The Phantom Menace was how it subverted so many things.

14. henderson

Mar 30, 2005
    I still cling to the idea, the reason these types hated TPM or the Prequels in general was b/c they didn't come out when they were 7.

15. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

At least you admit it....

I wonder how gushers would like it if the "these types" theme/meme got turned back on them ???
    Then again, I guess gushers just don't like it when their own ox* is being gored.................(see what I just did there?).

*which is not Star Wars in general , but primarily the PT or TPM specifically.

16. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    You shouldn't be. One of the chief delights in my cinemania is watching a sequel make a wild left turn. (I was in love with Alien 3 and Babe: Pig in the City within the first five minutes.)

It's one of the myriad reasons why I'm not keen on ROTJ: everything is so tidy and palatable. Even AOTC, which I also consider a failure, is at least an intriguing one?-it has a set of stones.

17. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, no. But he got downright nasty about TPM, then went on to say that even TPM was better than II and III, all of which he only watched once.

What's more, I think his favorite movie is either Dr. Detroit or Blankman. Though, come to think of it, both of those movies DO have clear and define protagonists.[face_tired]Hooray.

18. henderson

Mar 30, 2005

AND.................still can't convince me otherwise. And I can't convince BASHERS to not take SW THAT seriously. But then again I guess you hate to see such a large number of people loving and enjoying the ox they dispise. See what I just did? CHECK

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Yep, that sort of thing can be a lot of fun. And what's great is that even if you don't like the new direction, the original is still intact and you can always ignore the new thing and continue enjoying the old one it the old way.

But that only works if the original is kept intact. If, on the other hand, the only version of Wrath of Khan available had an alternate ending that only makes sense if you've seen ST5 and know who Sybok is, I imagine Trekkies would have a significantly less "live and let live" attitude towards The Final Frontier.

20. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    That's not true,many bad movies,characters,directors and shows are remembered/talked about everyday.

Being part of a larger franchise definitely matters.Trek,highlander,bond,freddy,jason,alien,predator,just to name a few,have sequels that would have been forgotten if not attached to beloved properties. People will stick with something they love threw thick and thin.

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110506233533/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/d/d8/Sofiacoppola.jpeg/200px-Sofiacoppola.jpeg]

"Dad? I'm, like, you know, like, dead"

[image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_557HfaPgbps/SMxhI7VaJmI/AAAAAAAACfc/Yb2ULOap2BA/s400/33.jpg] [image=http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg]

21 years on, & it still hurts. We Godfather fans have our own Phantom Menace, as well as our own Jar-Jar & pathetic "NOOOO" moment. Ahmed Best never went on to forge a successful career as a director, however.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Star Trek V is awesome. Speaking of subversive aspects, the bad guy isn't really bad at all, just misguided in a very relevant, human manner. And elsewhere the film has the guts to portray the older crew members acknowledging that the isolation all of them share in turn creates the closest thing to family they have. No love interests or "next gen" tagalongs/reboots needed in this film. And yeah, it's goofy "sci-fi" in parts, but the whole God/alien thing and again the somber, quieter plight of older Kirk's solitude gave this one substance that for the most part I didn't get with the other films of its franchise (especially Abrams' zippy but vacuous attempt). Final Frontier is how you do pulpy Trek the right way.

On topic, Luke's big "Nooooo!/Ahhhhhhhh!" followed by his battering of Vader plus the pyre scene and subsequent new victory celebration are reason enough for me to not buy into the ROTJ sucks despite that, as I said before, overall the film suffers a bit when examined as a part of the whole.

23. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Someone said ROTJ is the most neat and tidy of the series. It's true. But luckily it's also the last. I've noticed that the whole saga kind of leads up to ROTJ and it ties up all the lose ends.

24. henderson

Mar 30, 2005
    Really? I guess I've never been around to hear any of these discussions. I mean, I'm sure regular people discuss these so-called bad movies, but like documentaries about them etc is more of what I was talking about. I've seen several documentaries on Jaws and it's success. ONLY JAWS though. 2-4 are not even acknowledged. But then again, just because I haven't seen or heard doesn't mean it didn't happen.

25. henderson

Mar 30, 2005
    You are the first person I've ever heard speak of ST V that way. You got spunk! Personally, I find it to be shaky and so many things just make no sense. Scotty and Uhura's relationship, where the heck did that come from? And the Klingons? They had NOTHING better to do than to bother Kirk. Really! Thats how it's explaind in the movie, Klaa was flying around space looking for stuff to shoot when he saw that the Enterprise was going on a rescue mission to Nimbus III. So they attack the Enterprise out of BOREDOM! However, despite the terrible-ness it does have some good points. Like that they are more of a family to each other than their own blood. Though, Star Trek II is hands down the best Trek movie ever.