main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Aug 24, 2008.

1. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    That sounds more promising. By slideshow do you mean "you can expand it to the full size" or "it goes into an overlay on the whole screen." Because the squashing (and stretching, if you want to use custom icons or head shots) is terrible, and the opening pictures in separate windows is annoying.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Overlay view. It'd be really cool if it just expanded a la 4chan+, but I still find I prefer it to the new tab/window view that they use now. Again, the thumbnails use smart scaling now, so distortion isn't the problem it once was.

Currently we have custom icons enabled and they keep their dimensions exactly (Although I think there are limits to prevent ginormous nonsense), so I'm hoping that stays.

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
  4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Native dice rolling a la GITP would be nice, too ... :D :D :D

5. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I tried to get that one in, but Grimby couldn't get it to work. :( It was for the wrong version or had a conflict with another mod we installed or something like that.

If you can find a good dice-rolling mod for vB 3.8.5, though ... :D

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    So I think this topic has been fairly well settled - any last thoughts on a merger?

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I've always thought corporate mergers were a bad idea for the shareholders' stock prices...wait, what were we talking about again? :p :p

8. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Run Luke, Run! I mean, um. . . nope. I say nay as the arguments against sway.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Alright, looks like we're pretty much done with this one, looks like an overwhelming majority are against, so it's time to bring my proposal to the table.

So.

The RPR Groups.

Yes, sorry, we're going here again, it's just one of those things you have to do. Because frankly, the current setup isn't working as well as it could be. When's the last time anybody posted in the GMG? The philosophy thread? The CDG? Hell, I'm fairly amazed we've got something other than an OP critique going on in the GDG at the moment, because that almost never happens. We've lapsed back into exactly the sort of status quo that we were in the last time an overhaul was proposed, and this one is potentially more radical and alienating.

Honestly I was tempted to just go through with it without discussing it first, but that'd be downright diabolical, and I try not to troll while on duty.:p

So here's the gist of it. It's streamlined and admittedly very radical, but I think it's a necessary overhaul:

Proposal

1. The GDG, GMG, and all philosophy discussions related to running and designing a game will be folded into one group, tentatively titled the Game Group. It will cover every aspect of running a game, from design, to logistics, to design theory, to discussions on updating, you name it, if a GM does it, it goes here.

2. The CDG, philosophy discussions related to roleplaying and designing characters, and anything pertaining to roleplaying in a game will be folded into one group, tentatively titled the Roleplaying group. It will cover every aspect of playing in a game, from CS creation and discussion to pre-planning to advice on actually roleplaying. Recently the CDG was used to discuss characters in Matt's upcoming game. I'd like to see more of that sort of thing.

3. A new thread manager will be chosen to keep discussion moving forward and to keep the cue, which will be maintained in the second post of both threads, constantly updated. Unlimited edit times are definitely going to help on this one. Management may be incentivized via a title and/or colors, pending further discussion amongst the staff.

4. Both threads will be stickied so that they will always be easy to fine and will not run the risk of auto-locking.

And that's it.

Motivations - AKA Why Ramza Has Seemingly Gone Mad With Power

1. Three of the four groups have effectively been totally abandoned, and the GDG has once again lapsed into the rot of nothing but critiques that prompted the first relaunch. This proposal seeks to inject new life into all four by making navigation simple, and, more importantly, shaking up the status quo.

2. As hinted at in M1, the relaunch did not accomplish its intended goals of rejuvenating the groups. This was admittedly the result of uncontrollable factors of lengthy manager DRL issues, but it happened nonetheless. Furthermore the original setup was similarly going nowhere. Bold strokes are sometimes needed.

3. Most important: We need new thread managers anyway. The GDG has gone way too long without a centralized directing figure, the CDG never updates, the GMG never updates, the Philosophy thread never updates. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

4. Reduced size for a reduced community. We aren't as big as we used to be. Two threads can probably handle the workload of four, now.

5. Ease of reference. Stickies mean you never need to go digging again, and also makes the threads easier for inquiring newbies (Which the administration assures me we'll see again) to locate.

So there it is. Discussion is now open.

10. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    Absolutely. Yes. I love that idea.

On the topic of names, I think that the Game Management Guild sufficiently covers both the design and upkeep aspects of a game. Obviously, the name is not that important, but I like the sound of GMG.

11. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    *thumbs up*

Except for the part about stickying them - I think stickying a thread is the easiest way to make sure people don't notice or post in them. Better to have thread managers keep activity up on an ongoing basis.

12. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    I agree with Xan. Finding a dedicated manager would be better than stickying.

13. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Good idea. System needs a shake-up every now and then.

You got this RPFer's vote. Agreed with the points on non-stickying.

14. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Begrudgingly you gotta point. So to your points sub-points I must agree except the mentioned stickying of a thread. I only read those when I first showed up on these boards a can count the number of times I've gone back on one hand.

15. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    That would be largely because there's been so little activity it's dropped into cancellation.

:D :D

16. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Stickying them is probably really a bad idea. I think I never had a look at any of those. But with everything else I can do little more than agree. Two groups will be enough. And name changes might actually help. I wanted those last time, actually. The whole guild thing sounds so "important". It´s probably scaring away newbies.

17. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Dunno where to post it, but the board is slow to the point of inaccessibility since yesterday. I thought it was my internet or something, but actually all other boards are just fine. Hope that is not permanent.

18. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Had the same problem. It´s usually on Sunday in the German evening. Think they update the board or something. No need to worry, it is not permanent.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There was a problem related to the image server, it's largely been resolved (Possibly fully resolved by now, I just logged on). If you experience uncharacteristic slowness, be sure to mention it over in the Tech issues thread in Comms.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Double post because I AM THE MOD!

So we seem to be largely (If not outright unanimously) in favor of the group restructuring proposal, and thus I'm putting out an open call for prospective group managers. Anyone keen to run either the Gaming Group or Roleplaying Group (Titles to be determined by thread creators) will need to draft a proposal OP which should include the following:

1. An outline of the group's purpose, which should incorporate at least those functions outlined in the restructuring proposal

2. Links to all former threads the group is the offspring of (Game: GDG 1 and 2, GMG, Philosophy Thread; Roleplaying: CDG 1 and 2, Philosophy Thread)

3. A list which will be used to attractively track the queue

4. Additional Content Blatantly Included to Sway the Moderators - Not actually a part of the OP proper, but if you want to be selected we're going to want to see contest and discussion ideas that you plan to pursue.

And that's all there is to it. Pending discussions with various relevant parties there may or may not be a title and/or red-only VIP status for the users whose OPs are selected. But really, you're doing this for the RPF and, more importantly, you're doing this to prevent me from controlling entirely too many things. :p

21. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    darthramza, I agree with your idea.

22. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    My full support, too.

And although I feel I would be totally the wrong person to do this, I will support whoever takes over those two groups. Especially the Roleplaying group, as I might more be on the "questions"-side on GMing.

23. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    This is a shameless bump because I want to run the Roleplaying Group. :p

So when will these be finalized?

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, seeing as how we've gotten no submissions for the Game Group, and I'll probably have to do it myself at this point... as soon as I get it done.:p

EDIT 1/18/2012: As you've probably noticed, both the groups are up! The floor is now open for a new discussion anyone wants to bring up.

25. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I saw something crazy yesterday. A reversed Interest Measurement thread. Players post what kinda game they wanna see. If you get enough Mass Effet cries or something, a GM might seriously consider this. Well with Mass Effect that worked at least once before without a dedicated thread, I believe. Good idea? Unnecessary? Just what we need?